X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
    License issues aside could it even be done at Target's price point? Just for starters you would need a new more muscular base body. Then there are loads of characters like Ram Man, Clawful, etc. that would absolutely require unique tooling.
    The Gorn has a muscular body that isn't an issue and I wasn't even thinking of going deeper than He-Man and Skeletor really.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
      I personally never warmed to the body style of these figures but if Mego licensed MOTU, I'd be drawn to them because of the character designs.
      Yep, same reason that I'm drawn to the ReAction little. If'n Mego picked it up, though, I might actually drop some cash!
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mego Milk
        Custom Mego Maker
        • Jun 3, 2007

maybe the heads can be used for Mego Customs....hhmmm...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I'm really enjoying collecting Reaction MOTU. As for Mego MOTU, I've pined for that for years.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
            Career Member
            • Jun 21, 2017

I'll stick with my classic childhood MotU figures from the 80s. I love that line and am so glad I saved them all, even if a few have some "battle damage." Princess of Power, too. For whatever reason I've never felt the urge to pick up all the revised and reworked lines from Matty Collector, Funko, etc. Now maybe if Imaginext did a MotU line... that could be pretty wicked.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

I was never in to Masters of the Universe when it came out (it debuted after I decided I was too old for toys and was major into D&D and tabletop gaming), but I do like the character designs. I may be the outlier, but I might be interested in some fantasy elseworld's themed DC figures if done and priced right (I am a major fantasy fan if y'all haven't figured it out yet), but I agree the video linked was a bit eyeroll inducing. I was not familiar with the content creator (Pixel Dan?) and nothing about the video made me want to seek out more of his content.

I am not sure I would pick up a line of Fantasy DC figures, but I would at least check them out (I am somewhat intrigued by the Conan Savage Worlds figures Funko is doing but again haven't taken the plunge yet so it is kind of the same boat as it would be if they did the DC figs). I would definitely check out a Mego style MOTU line though, as I do like the character designs and I would love to see some fantasy themed Megos.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

To me.... these kinds of things are pretty simple... if you like the DCU and you like classic MOTU format, then these should (?) be cool...

....but that's just me.

Obviously, others (as seen in this thread) take it further... as in something like: "Well, I like both parts of the equation, but I would've chosen different DCU designs ON the classic MOTU body"----while I just don't go that deep.

Like these DC characters in old school MOTU format? I like DC. I like vintage MOTU format. So, I think they're cool... now, hey, just not cool enough to buy when I have limited money/space & my Matty MOTUC collection for my MOTU jones fix.... mOTUC is a preferred format for me, as well as a much bigger collection for me to display & enjoy.

Speaking of MOTUC.... AND speaking of DC, sooooo ironically, I JUST got around to (today, in fact) picking up the Frank Miller Superman figure to add to my MOTUC collection. In other words: DC in MOTUC format.

Do I think Miller's design is the best?

Nah. The "Miller" flourishes are my least favorite aspect of the figure.

But I like DC and I like the MOTUC format... simple.

i feel like the whole "hook" of a line like this is lost on people.... the selling point is more about taking an old school format, giving it a new franchise never put in that format (or possibly a new take on an already done franchise) and selling this "unholy" combination, and THAT is the selling point more than any other.

Apparently, there are other selling points that are make or break... and I concede I do somewhat take those smaller things into consideration (and budget trumps many of those artistic things)... but to me, proportionally NO selling point comes close to "Hey, a new franchise manufactured in a nostalgic format! Neat!"
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Oh.... and to those bothered with that Pixel Dan punking....

This one will REALLY gall ya!

"No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

There's a difference between an April Fool's Day joke clearly marked as an April Fool's Day Joke and perpetuating a hoax.

Pixel Dan has always promoted himself as an honest, responsible and good natured reviewer and not just another one the long lines of internet trolls. It's not a good look for him. It's not good PR and doesn't help Funko or the product he is promoting.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I see where he posted a second video, still playing into the hoax, after the news had already leaked. I really think if he was going to do this, he should have done the true reveal within the same video. This is going to backfire on everyone, because, as you said Werewolf, he had a great rep before this.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        This is going to backfire on everyone
                        Yep and I can't imagine why anyone thought this hoax was a good idea when the Savage World concept already had such a positive hype and reception. Makes no sense to risk that by trolling their base. This hoax is clearly not in their best interest.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

With all due respect, because Dan is a nice guy... He's a shill for freebies. He always has been. Best to not think of him as a toy reviewer.

There are LOTS of people who don't like Pixel Dan's stuff and he drove a lot of other reviewers out of the game by working directly with companies to give positive "reviews" of toys in exchange for free stuff, exclusives, first reveals and even monetary compensation. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that, but it's not like Pixel Dan is a real toy reviewer. He never gives an honest opinion, he gives a glowing review to the products who send him free stuff. Even when he has to talk about an obvious flaw or problem with the figure, he tries to put as much positive PR spin on it as possible. He's essentially a paid employee for whatever product he's demonstrating. I know there are still a few products he reviews that he hasn't been paid for in some way, but most are things he's been sent by a company and once you're doing that for one or two places, it's hard to take any other review with anything other than a grain of salt. So it's not really a surprise to me that he's going along with a "hoax" designed to drum up interest in something. That's his job.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

A friend of mine forwarded me a new pic of these. The line is called DC Primal Age. The picture showed figures of Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman (with 90s hook hand), Joker, King shark, Scarecrow and Mr. Freeze. Plus a wolf and lizard mount and the Castle Grayskull inspired Batcave. Pixel Dan is oddly still pushing this as an unreleased 80s line even though the line uses the 90s version of Aquaman and King Shark's first appearance wasn't until 1994. Not to mention the obvious Funko designs and style. It's getting a bit silly.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I blew past his new video showing "found" animation and concept art. I think of that old Tex Avery Droopy cartoon, where the Wolf tells the bulldog "Break it up son. Jokes over."

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

He seems to be getting some toxic shade thrown his way for this. I mean yeah, i thought it was lame to try and "Blair Witch" this but it's also just toys. The little animation was clever.

When it comes down to it, I guess I prefer an upbeat toy blogger who may be a shill over some jaded cynic who thinks he's Hunter S. Thompson.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎