X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

14" Superman and Batgirl pics

Since everyone has been so great about sharing pics of the new Mego Corp products, I thought I would add pics of Superman and Batgirl, which I picked up today at a Target near my new work location in Lexington, KY. I was at that store on Saturday, and the only new figure they had at the time was Jo from The Facts of Life. I was pumped to find the new DC 14" figures.

I passed on Green Lantern and Poison Ivy, but I will probably go back for them, because I am REALLY impressed with these figures. I didn't pick up any of the first series, waiting to see the improvements on this wave, and Doc and Marty and the whole team BROUGHT IT. Great quality for the price, and beyond that price, quite honestly. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

I apologize that the pictures aren't the greatest, but I wanted to share, and not waste time with futzing with the lighting, etc.

These figures look so much better out of the box than in. I wasn't sure I would really like Superman's face, but I really love it. It's a strong face, and it looks like SOMEONE, not just a generic cartoon face. But it's still says classic Superman. Batgirl is a little more cartoony, but still pretty and pleasant looking. She looks smart and sassy.

Again, the Supes face is really nice and strong, but still compassionate. Which is what you want in your Superman!

Batgirl looks like she knows something you don't...which is a perfect look for the character. Yvonne Craig's Batgirl often seemed one step ahead of Batman and Robin!

Superman's got the "S" on his cape! And it's correct!!!

This figure FEELS like the younger, taller cousin to the 12 1/2" Superman...both of them, actually. I really like the treatment of the "S", it's nice and big, but not TOO big, and the blue is the lighter blue we associate with classic Superman. It kind of feels like a large amalgamation of Mego and Super Powers to me. He's definitely got the Mego belt! And his boots seem very similar to the 12 1/2" Reeve boots.

Batgirl's got the the purse on her belt in the proper red color, and you can see here how her gauntlet cuffs work. I should have pushed her sleeve inside before snapping this pic. She doesn't hold the Batarang well. That's my only gripe with her, but you can get it in there with some work. It reminds me a LOT of the Captain Action Batarang!

Just a side shot to show you the sculpts from another angle. I know Batgirl's head looks a bit large here, but honestly in hand, you don't notice it. Maybe it's because I associate the black bodysuit with her New Batman Adventures design, and Bruce Timm's women all have large heads and smaller bodies, but I think this works with the figure.

These are two homeruns for me. So happy to find them, and I couldn't be more thrilled with how they turned out.

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Sep 25, '18, 7:43 PM.
    sigpic
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Nice review, Chris! These are my favorite 14 inch figures, thus far.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Great review, Chris! Thanks!!
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Did you happen to sculpt either of these?

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
          Both. GL as well.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for taking the time on the review. Well done. I think I'm sold on Superman.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I miss the vintage Reeve style sculpt. But that is still really, really nice.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

I am looking forward to finding these on the shelves.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                  Radioactive!
                  • Feb 13, 2010

I'll be getting that Superman for sure.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I think that Superman is terrific.

And I really like the retro glove-cuff that Mego Corp. is using with Batgirl and Batman. This approach is something that is sorely missing from other manufacturers' efforts.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 25, '18, 9:29 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• generic
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 25, 2009

These look awesome!
                      Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Awesome photos dude. Looking forward to them showing up here.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks! Liking them both, but that Superman is pretty near perfect.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post

Chris
                            Both. GL as well.
                            Fantastic work! Thank you for putting the character in these sculpts! I really need to find me a Batman. After you posted pictures of the sculpt, I haven't come across one.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

That Superman head sculpt is near iconic. I really like that. Great review Chris! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎