Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Creature from the black Lagoon" Remake?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Vortigern99
    After all my defense of re-makes, I must admit there have been some truly awful ones of late in the horror genre. The Fog, The Omen and The Amityville Horror all spring readily and unfortunately to mind. Fog and Omen were near-perfect to begin with (though Donner's Omen tends to induce giggling), and the original Amityville is so silly and cheesy it just doesn't merit another look IMO. That said, I think Snyder's recent Dawn of the Dead was excellent, but it was so different from the Romero original they might have simply called it "Another Zombie Movie: This One's in a Mall" and got away with it.

Continuing in this trend, "they" are discussing re-making Carpenter's The Thing, which is ridiculous because that is a note-perfect film, widely regarded as a horror masterpiece. It would be like remaking The Wizard of Oz or Raiders of the Lost Ark, which, despite my earlier defense of remakes in general, would obviously be unnecessary, egregious and quite likely painful for all involved.
    Amen to that. I wholeheartedly concur!
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Vortigern99
      Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
      • Jul 2, 2006

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
      A good point, I admit. Hm. I think what I most object to, is people using a title just to cash in on the concept. If you want to make a movie about a water creature that attacks helpless ladies in swimwear, why not call it "The Sea Beast Strikes!" and do your own thing, instead of "stealing" a title from a classic (but changing everything else about it)? To be honest, the Emmerich Godzilla was not such a bad giant monster flick, but it had very little to do with Toho Godzilla. Why not call your giant monster Emmerichosaurus Rex, and do your own thing?

A last example: I love the new Galactica, but I find little connection to the old series. I would have been perfectly happy with it being even a little bit farther removed from Classic BG, and being a totally separate entity.

I hope this clarifies my point of view.
      Word. "Emmerichosaura Regina: Giant Mama Lizard Gone Wrong" might have been a decent movie if not for the supposed Godzilla connection.

Comment

• Tyme2tyme
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 3, 2008

I also agree with Gorn Captain about the Godzilla movie. I was a fairly good movie but to me, there are certain classic creatures I love and don't want them messed with (CFTBL, Godzilla, POTA). There are also some films that the concept is premier and I don't mind the movies being updated (King Kong, Dracula). If they ever remake Creature I hope they don't screw him up! JOHN
        Livin' the American Dream!

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>"they" are discussing re-making Carpenter's The Thing, which is ridiculous because that is a note-perfect film, widely regarded as a horror masterpiece.

...and TECHNICLY it's a remake itself. So they're gonna do a remake of a remake.... (Movies really HAVE gone back to their 1950's roots I guess....) Although I thought the Thing was more of a sequel. Or it COULD have been a sequel.

>To be honest, the Emmerich Godzilla was not such a bad giant monster flick, but it had very little to do with Toho Godzilla.

That's what I was saying. "Fraudzilla" was an okay film; but NOBODY would risk that much money on a no-name pic; so they sort of slapped "Godzilla" onto it. Which is a shame; 'cos it means we get more intellectual inbreeding.

>There are also some films that the concept is premier and I don't mind the movies being updated (King Kong, Dracula).

Maybe. Some ideas; like Dracula, are kinda generic/iconic and can be drawn from more than once. Sometimes they really miss the point with the remake, and a lot of times they remake stuff that doesn't need to be remade. Creature is a good example. I don't get bent out of shape when they redo stuff with modern effects but keep the old designs. (As much as possible.) Sorta polishes up the old idea.... But the Creature effects were pretty good; and the first film still holds up. The actual Creature costume worked surprisingly well. I'd be afraid that a remake would have all sorts of extraneuous bits, CGI crud, and multiple toyetic forms....

Don C.

Comment

• Vortigern99
            Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
            • Jul 2, 2006

Just a brief addendum here: Carpenter's The Thing is not in fact a "remake"; it's a second adaptation of the same source material, the novella Who Goes There? The two films share a title -- and truly not even that, since the 1951 Hawks movie is properly named The Thing From Another World -- and that's it. The characters, events and even the nature of the creature are wholly different from one another.

Comment

• Type3Toys
              Home Of The Type3 Body
              • Jan 18, 2005

I would love to see this done. Just for once, I would love to see a true "REMAKE" of the original. Same Creature,same script, similar location. Most of the classic stuff is so timeless that it would work well today. If as much energy was spent on keeping stuff true to what made it great in the first place as is spent changing something, it would be a hit for sure.
              LOOK
              Action Figure Design & Prototypes
              For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
              To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                I would love to see this done. Just for once, I would love to see a true "REMAKE" of the original. Same Creature,same script, similar location. Most of the classic stuff is so timeless that it would work well today. If as much energy was spent on keeping stuff true to what made it great in the first place as is spent changing something, it would be a hit for sure.

I'm with Ya!! I'd like to see it done that way as well...like Jackson did with KONG...but shorter running time.
                sigpic

Comment

• Vortigern99
                  Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                  • Jul 2, 2006

I rather wish Jackson had stuck with the exact script of the original Kong, only added new scenes here and there that were in the same vein. (And obviously including all the new action and FX scenes.) The dialogue in the original has a crackle and a spark to it that Jackson's languid script utterly lacked. But that's a subject for that other thread.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎