X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

KMART MEGOS vs TARGET MEGOS

Times have changed of course, however I still think I am Kmart kind of kid. That's where my best memories of buying these mego figures from. At that time the name Mego did not mean anything to me as it does now. Except for the time in the 78 when the mego kiss figures came out on TV when I first saw that commercial I got the name of the toy brand and told my dad to call every store . That's the first time mego ever entered my mind and mouth . We finally found the kiss dolls at Toys R Us. Anyways I was heartbroken when they did not have them at our local Montgomery Ward . When Target first came out I don't remember them ever having any mego figures there just Star Wars. Plus I really miss all those Kmart ham sandwiches.
    sigpic
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I was a fan of the K-Mart cafeteria, as well. I dragged my grandparents back there for Saturday lunch more times than I’m sure they cared to go. I too got most of my Megos at K-Mart, though I don’t think I knew the name Mego, at that point. But, thinking back, I did realize that the same company was responsible for the different figures, even when they were 3 3/4 inch or Die Cast. I remember studying the packaging on all of the figure lines. Maybe I recognized the Mego logo or the word, since most of the time Mego was still in business, I couldn’t read.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

That's awesome! I remember K-MART Megos, other Batman merchandising like that awesome Batman Transistor Radio, and K-MART burgers or hot chicken sandwiches and fries...wow...wonderful memories

Last edited by comicmike; Sep 21, '18, 4:40 PM.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

My go to Mego place as a kid was Gemco (owned by Lucky stores).

Target bought most of the Gemco locations after they all closed down.
        sigpic

Comment

• Timothy2251
          Jerks beef with Ten Bears
          • Mar 15, 2008

Most of our Megos came from Two Guys and my grandparents, with our folks running a very close second. Great motivator to be a good kid and study hard.
          "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Never heard of Target until the early 90's

My Mego connections were Rockaway Sales, Two Guys, Kmart and Jamesway … edited to add Big-N

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Back in the day I got my Mego's from Kresges and Child World, Kresges was at the local mall, they had WGSH, POTA
              and ahi monsters, plus the cafe area, grilled cheese, ice cream and mego's.

Child World was the only place near me that carried the Star Trek mego's, so Child World was always the 1st choice,
              and then lunch at the local pizza place.

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by comicmike
                That's awesome! I remember K-MART Megos, other Batman merchandising like that awesome Batman Transistor Radio, and K-MART burgers or hot chicken sandwiches and fries...wow...wonderful memories

Hahaha I got my Batman radio there too!!! A strange thing happened to me about 5 years ago with this Batman radio. I popped in a 9-volt battery to see if it still worked and while I was turning the dial I picked up a radio station that was playing "Moonlight Feels Right" , "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road", & "I Write the Songs". Back to back to back the funny thing is was I got so excited because it was playing music from that era of the radio and then static and I could never ever hear it again!!! Just pure static now!!!
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                  Loco Chango
                  • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Hector

Yeah our Target in the beginning used to be "Two Guys" then it turned into "Gemco" then to "Fedmart" and now it's Target. For like the past 30 years or so.
                  sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                    Loco Chango
                    • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Hector

Have you ever heard the song "Hector" by The Village callers?
                    sigpic

Comment

• wilbs518
                      Mego Collector
                      • Jul 25, 2009

Miss the lunches at the Kmart cafeteria with my grandma. I got most of my toys from Kmart.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎