Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mego move beyond sitcoms and celebrities?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
    While your post was far politer than ones I've seen in the Ambassador group, they're being pretty tight lipped about what their future plans are.

I gave you what I believe is the reasoning for such a heavy sitcom focus on early waves.

The biggest indicator of a shift will be what flies off the shelves and what doesn't. I've already been told that the stuff without likeness is slow and Mego isn't interested in non-likeness licenses going forward.

If the sitcom stuff is turning slowly, then we'll likely see less of that stuff.
    Yes, it seems that likeness licenses are vital when it comes to any license that involves real people. The line may not do well even with that, but, boy, it sure doesn’t stand much of a chance without it.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Sometimes licenses are throw-ins. As in "You pay X, and they give you access to Y and Z". I would think that's what has happened here. Doc and Marty need to figure out there demo and target (pun intended) them. Right now, it's scattershot.

They have to be careful with Facts of Life and whatnots. They've been a punching bag for those choices.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
        Sometimes licenses are throw-ins. As in "You pay X, and they give you access to Y and Z". I would think that's what has happened here. Doc and Marty need to figure out there demo and target (pun intended) them. Right now, it's scattershot.

Totally true but sometimes and I did this a bunch, you decide it's cheaper not to do anything, pay the minimum rather than make a pile of unsold products. We shelved Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings and the Lone Ranger in my day.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

Thinking of celebrities...I wonder if something like a Lee Majors or a Farrah Fawcett figure would be a possibility.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I dream of Jeannie and Bewitched are sitcoms. Probably some of the best sitcoms of all time. But still sitcoms.
            I was referring to Charmed as fantasy. It's surely not a sitcom. Charlie's Angels and Star Trek are also not sitcoms.
            Sci-fi, action, fantasy, and comedy. It's seems like a good TV blend.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

None of us work for Mego, and they're being reserved about what is next, so what you'll get out of this question is just conjecture.

You have to walk before you can run and sometimes you have to prove yourself. They took some low hanging fruit in the beginning.

Speaking from experience, obtaining a license isn't as easy as "here is the money". The better the brand, the more you

Mego is new, they have no track record, so they need to build.

At one point in my career, I had Sponge Bob and the Justice League under my belt but Marvel comics wouldn't return my call. I was too small a market for them and my SRP was too low. I sold half a million Sponge Bob items but that meant nothing.
              Brian, would it be a fair statement to say that taking so many different licenses so quickly was not only to stretch appeal but to showcase their ability to handle a big volume of business to attract other vendors and licensors whom they might approach later?

Comment

• Spyweb007
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 18, 2006

Mego showing what they can do with the current licenses may pave the way for more mainstream licenses in future waves too.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  I was referring to Charmed as fantasy. It's surely not a sitcom. Charlie's Angels and Star Trek are also not sitcoms.
                  I already mentioned Trek as well as Universal Monsters. I personally feel Charlie's Angels and Charmed fall more into celebrity lines like how Mego did dolls of Farrah and Jaclyn Smith in the 70s. Plus regular looking people in street clothes don't really lend themselves to action adventure play. Especially considering there are no villains for either set.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

I've already been told that the stuff without likeness is slow and Mego isn't interested in non-likeness licenses going forward.
                    Just so I can understand what you mean... and pardon if I'm slow on the uptake...

Does that mean that a licensed character figure that doesn't have actor likeness is slow to sell, or that non-licensed figures like AJ are slow to sell?

Comment

• jeffbearco
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2011

And don't forget, a lot of cartoons in the 80s were intended to sell a specific toy. They could go generic with "Dungeon Masters" or something similar for Dungeons and Dragons. But He-Man was definitely there to give a story to a set of toys.

( This link is not truly click bait since you can scroll down instead of clicking next. )

Plus, some of the sit-com figures will inspire me to do a lot of customs! Kris Munroe as Supergirl or Jeanie as Black Canary!

JeffBearCO
                      Last edited by jeffbearco; Sep 21, '18, 8:50 AM.

Comment

• Retro76
                        • Aug 4, 2012

I believe one of Mego's challenges is defining their target (no pun intended!) audience(s). Someone earlier mentioned 'toyetic' (which I understand comes from the Kenner Toys president that launched Star Wars) would sell better. When I hear toyetic I hear action and adventure, for the current Mego selections this would be Star Trek, Classic Monsters, Action Jackson, the DC figures and maybe Charlie's Angels(?). The action/adventure could appeal to a more younger audience. The celebrities would appeal to a more adult audience.

One suggestion I would make is that the current Target waves be moved from the toy section endcap/aisles to the entertainment section where the Funko Pops and Neca are located. I think that would be a better fit based on the majority of current selections which are more pop culture and would fit in with the Funko and NECA toys section which is right next to the DVDs (i.e. movies, sitcoms) and could lead to cross-promotion opportunities :-). Obviously I have no idea how easy or not it would be for that move to happen. It could be that the entertainment section is a high premium store area and only larger or more established companies have the ability to secure it. I honestly do not see having the new Megos in the same aisle and placed between Marvel Legends and WWE and such to get that much interest based on the current character selections. In any case, I sincerely hope that the current experience with Target will help Mego refine their strategy and help them grow and expand beyond Target.

Comment

• Piddley
                          • Sep 3, 2013

If you put a mustache on the Greg Brady figure you will end up with a Tom Selleck Magnum PI.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Whatever the future holds, I hope that if Mego can't get the rights to an actor's likeness, I hope they will at least aim to get more specific outfits. The Jeannie and Bewitched figures work because of the iconic costumes even if they don't look like the actresses. The Charlie's Angels figures fail because not only do they not look like the actresses, but the clothes are not something they wore on the show (i.e. Kelly's pink sweater). It would work so much better if they put them in specific episode outfits like "Angles in Chains" or something they actually wore on the show. If they do a Jill figure and can't get Farrah's likeness, at least they could dress her in Jill's skateboard outfit: red sweater, blue jeans, and tennis shoes. Or even a tennis outfit because that's what she played on the show. Sabrina should have a turtleneck for sure. If she comes in a low-cut short dress, than it would be a fail. Is it asking too much for them to research the show, watch the show, look at publicity photos, or ask the fans?

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Piddley
                              If you put a mustache on the Greg Brady figure you will end up with a Tom Selleck Magnum PI.
                              I know, right. I passed on the Greg figure because he doesn't look like a teenager. He looks like he's on steroids.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎