X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Halloween basement treasures

It's a strange coincidence that this week I came across some lost treasure at the same time as Glimpy is posting his own here in the Classic toys forum. My dad's basement flooded twice last month. The creek that runs under and behind his yard became stopped up during two heavy rainfalls, and it completely flooded his back yard and nearly reached the ceiling of his basement. So I've been helping him dig out what could be salvaged (which wasn't much) and throwing away the rest.

Most of my childhood toys were moved to my house years ago, minus many of my old stuffed animals and characters, which were unfortunately, unsalvageable. This Saturday I did come across something I remembered well, but hadn't seen since the early 80s at the latest, an old tin Halloween noise maker. I was so excited to find this thing! It's rusted, but the graphics are still pretty sharp, and it has a lot of sentimental value.

I returned Tuesday night to help dig out another corner of the basement. This was mostly filled with stuff my mom had bought at yard sales to craft with. After she passed away, my dad packed it up and put in in the basement. Imagine my surprise to find this awesome empire Jack-O-Lantern/Scarecrow blow mold! I've coveted these things for years, and here it was, hiding in my parents' basement. I immediately claimed it, of course, much to my Dad's amusement. I assume Mom bought it and stored it until Halloween. Maybe she was going to give it to me, because she knew I loved blow molds. And it works! Even the bulb was still good! As my wife put it, "You're Mom just gave you another present."

Chris
    sigpic
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Love Halloween blow-molds. Great find, and great story.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Touching story, Chris. That blow mold jack-o-lantern is awesome. You’re going to love it forever, for a few reasons. It’s going to look especially great this Halloween.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for sharing a poignant story. My family had the same molded jack-o-lantern, he's jaunty.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Great story and that little scarecrow blow mold is adorbs.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• glimpy
            Loco Chango
            • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            It's a strange coincidence that this week I came across some lost treasure at the same time as Glimpy is posting his own here in the Classic toys forum. My dad's basement flooded twice last month. The creek that runs under and behind his yard became stopped up during two heavy rainfalls, and it completely flooded his back yard and nearly reached the ceiling of his basement. So I've been helping him dig out what could be salvaged (which wasn't much) and throwing away the rest.

Most of my childhood toys were moved to my house years ago, minus many of my old stuffed animals and characters, which were unfortunately, unsalvageable. This Saturday I did come across something I remembered well, but hadn't seen since the early 80s at the latest, an old tin Halloween noise maker. I was so excited to find this thing! It's rusted, but the graphics are still pretty sharp, and it has a lot of sentimental value.

I returned Tuesday night to help dig out another corner of the basement. This was mostly filled with stuff my mom had bought at yard sales to craft with. After she passed away, my dad packed it up and put in in the basement. Imagine my surprise to find this awesome empire Jack-O-Lantern/Scarecrow blow mold! I've coveted these things for years, and here it was, hiding in my parents' basement. I immediately claimed it, of course, much to my Dad's amusement. I assume Mom bought it and stored it until Halloween. Maybe she was going to give it to me, because she knew I loved blow molds. And it works! Even the bulb was still good! As my wife put it, "You're Mom just gave you another present."

Chris
            Hey I remember those jack o'lanterns we used to have a couple of those we bought them at a store called Two Guys years ago in the 70s. Those are some collectors items you got there Chris. Great find!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks folks. I got ol' Pumpkin Face cleaned up and lit up. I decorate early.

I got the ghost at Mego Meet this year, from a nice fella whose name slips my mind. But I sure enjoyed talking to you!

And yes, I know the ghost's pumpkin isn't the original one, but it was missing and he replaced it with a different one...still vintage!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

very cool!

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

That's a beautiful story, Chris. Lovely, wonderful stuff.

Comment

• glimpy
                    Loco Chango
                    • Feb 5, 2012

That pumpkin and that jack O'Lantern bring back memories
                    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I keep finding blow-molds in the strangest places! While we were at Ruler Foods (which is a Kroger discount store), my wife asked "Are those blow molds?" I practically ran over to the Halloween display, and sure enough, two cat-themed Halloween blow molds! They are battery operated, but other than that, are very nice classic-style blow molds. This one is a cat peeking out of Jack-O-Lantern.

The other is a cat dressed as a ghost, holding a pumpkin pail with a fish bone in it. I passed on that one for now, but I'll probably get it before the season ends.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎