X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Great Article on the New Monkees

Such a forgotten blip on the radar now, I remember vividly when it came and went. Seemed the hype and controversey lasted twice as long as the series did.

Thirty years ago, in September 1987, Columbia Pictures Television and Straybert Productions (headed by Steve Blauner, a former partner of original Monkees producers Robert Rafelson and Bert Schneider) monkeyed around with an old showbiz formula. Attempting to capitalize on the nostalgia sparked by MTV’s Monkees marathon the previous year (which had inspired original band members Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork to reunite for a hugely successful tour), Columbia and Straybert controversially decided to a create a new band — specifically, a New Monkees TV show — for the modern age. A nationwide talent search ensued, and out of 3,000 applicants, casting directors eventually selected 20-year-old pizza boy and part-time VJ Dino Kovas, 19-year-old waiter Jared Chandler, 27-year-old professional musician Marty Ross (whose powerpop band the Wigs had been signed to CBS Records and had appeared in the movie My Chauffeur), and 18-year-old college student Larry Saltis, who had already been working since age 16 with Atlantic Records.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i don't even remember this ever happening. which is probably a good thing

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Good grief, they were horrid...
      sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

On the plus side,the originals are doing a new Christmas album. Even have Davy Jones singing 'Silver Bells' and 'Mele Kalikimaka'.

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          On the plus side,the originals are doing a new Christmas album. Even have Davy Jones singing 'Silver Bells' and 'Mele Kalikimaka'.
          Davy must sound really rough these days.

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
            Davy must sound really rough these days.
            Well, yeah. But today's auto-tune technology brings life into even the most absent performances.
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

They're using studio recordings from the 70s for Jones.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

To me the one and ONLY Monkees is the ultimate story in rock n roll because they were created by the industry, but found their lasting appeal by doing what most never do, which is revolt against it. I LOVE the Monkees. This horrid attempt to re-capture lightening in a bottle proves it was not just a formula that made the real Monkees.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎