X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

*****RIP Mike Barrett aka Hawkmike here at the Mego Museum*****

On Friday September 14th at approximately 2 PM MST Mike Barrett aka Hawkmike aka Sable to his friends passed away.

Mike was one of the first people I met at the Mego Museum and on the old Mego chat forums and we became fast friends. He and I collaborated on numerous projects together over the years. We never exchanged any money, just services. And, we never kept track of who owed who a favor; we just made what the other needed knowing that the favor would be returned eventually. Guaranteed!

Most of us have some item on one (or more) of our customs that Mike made, and without that one item (that only Mike had the talent to create), our custom(s) would forever be incomplete.

But, Mike was more than just a talented customizer, he was a friend. A true friend with a heart of gold: I had hundreds of phone conversations with Mike over our 20 year relationship and he would remember the darndest things from them. And, then one day, usually weeks or months later I’d get a package from Mike where he included something related to the conversation we had: CDs, DVDs, comic books, VHS tapes, custom accessories, “trinkets and trash”. All because he cared enough about me to remember what was important to me. He was the most selfless man I have ever known.

My children, who never met him but knew of him as “Mr. Barrett”, once asked me how good a friend he was. I told them that if I died today, I would want Mr. Barrett to be a pallbearer at my funeral. If that doesn’t tell you how much love and respect I have for this man, somebody who I only met once in 20 years of friendship, I do not know what else will.

Up until his death, Mike was working on a number of projects for a number of customizers, some of which I know of, others I do not. If you have something that Mike was working on, please let me know. Contact me through Facebook or at the Mego Museum or through my email. I plan on attending his service in Colorado and helping his family go through all of his “stuff” to find out who has items that need to be returned.

Next June we will celebrate Mike’s legacy at the Customego Hall of Fame dinner as we induct him as a member of the class of 2019. So, if you have any pictures of any work Mike did for you, please send them to me.

Please keep Mike, his family, and his friends in your thoughts.

Peace, Love, and Mike Barrett!

Austin

Last edited by megowgsh; Sep 17, '18, 9:34 AM.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

You're a good friend for helping Mike's family. He will be missed by many.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Rest in peace.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

RIP Mike. Thanks for being such a good friend to so many here at MM. You will be missed.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

My condolences to his friends and family.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Very sorry to hear this. My condolences.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

Just PM'ed you, Austin.

Ugh. I'm bummed by this - I'd gotten some stuff from him way back, and was amazed at the quality of work and attention to detail he provided. The man was an artist, no question.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to his friends and family. :(
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

He was always here in the custom section with a compliment. Very sad to lose a good guy.

I don't recall him showing off his own customs and work. I think that would be a great tribute display at the Meet.

My sympathies to Austin and the gang who knew him.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

May he rest in peace. Very sad.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                    I don't recall him showing off his own customs and work. I think that would be a great tribute display at the Meet.
                    That's because he was always so busy working on stuff for others LOL

Trust me, you've seen plenty of his work. Everybody here, especially from the early days, probably has something he made for them.
                    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

My condolences to Mike's friends and family … Rest in Peace

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by megowgsh
                        That's because he was always so busy working on stuff for others LOL

Trust me, you've seen plenty of his work. Everybody here, especially from the early days, probably has something he made for them.
                        True. The name stuck with because of the all the "Thanks to Hawkmike". I hope you can put together a collection of what he did. That would be fitting.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

RIP to a Mego Museum brother & supreme jacket-maker...my sympathies to those affected....
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

My sympathy to his friends and family. Mike was a true craftsman, I always marveled at his work.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎