X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Your School Book Covers ?

I was kinda jealous back in my early grammar school years because my mom made me use store bought book covers.

They were usually generic out of date psychedelic patterns found in the discount bin while the COOL kids were using brown paper bags.

Eventually I was finally allowed to pick any book cover I wanted -- No contest, considering the Welcome Back Kotter covers premiered at that time.

After a year of Kotters I was finally allowed to use brown paper bags … Think my mom didn't want me to use them earlier because she thought brown bags covers made us look poor …
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

I had the DC Super-heroes Book Covers by Alco in 1978.

Another guy in my school class had all 4 of the Super-Heroes wrapped around his own school text books.

The male villains pack was my personal favourite: But I used to go to our local town store to look at the pack with the Super-Heroines. I also wanted that collection, especially for the Wondergirl one (because I liked Debra Winger on TV).

Years later, I finally got that unopened Super-Heroines pack from eBay.
    Last edited by comicmike; Sep 17, '18, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I've never seen that villain art before! Looks like Dick Giordano art to me, and I like the variation on the classic Infantino/Anderson villain poses. Essentially, they are the same image from a side angle! I think this Riddler was used on a sleeping bag I have. Redrawn of course.

I could only find this tiny picture in a google search, but you can make out the Riddler's pose, anyway.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• cockyhoskins
        Career Member
        • Jan 13, 2009

Always brown bags for me. Drawing what I wanted on my book cover was the highlight of the new school year for me! LOL

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Riddler looks like a derivative of the art guide image we know from the Mego box/'78 poster

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Al Biglee reported it was Giordano in '75-76. In early '75, I had a very small flip top coil notebook with that Riddler cover art on it. I loved that thing!
            Dick's Penguin is as follows. His Joker, Riddler & Penguin were marketed on other items, especially noting the Puzzles in a Can products.
            In addition, the Luthor comic art grab was adapted as one of the book covers.

I seem to recall my older sibling had brown paper book covers, but my younger sibling & I had the DC ones.
            A blog by Al Bigley, looking back at original comic artwork, toys, action figures, comics artists, comic books, oddities, rarities, cosplay, DC and Marvel Comics, etc...

Last edited by comicmike; Sep 17, '18, 6:17 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Those villains are fantastic--of course I like the Giordano Penguin, it's an unusual pose for him.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 17, '18, 5:44 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, brown paper bags for me too. those DC covers are all kinds of awesome

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Riddler looks like a derivative of the art guide image we know from the Mego box/'78 poster
                  Yeah, that's originally from the set of posters DC offered in the 60s, with art by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Those are glorious. Although brown bags allowed you to let your imagination go loose.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

The Penguin image above was reused for those Our Way Studios standees as well. You can see him in the back behind Captain Marvel in this catalog cover from Plaid Stallions

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

That's right! I have a Bat-set of those packed away somewhere. I didn't know they did a DC set--that Aquaman is great!
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Many of those stand-up images were lifted from the 1976 DC Calendar by Adams and Giordano, particularly Batman, Aquaman and Captain Marvel.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Anything Our Way Studios did is pure gold. I see their stuff, and it's total pavlovian response.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

I don't remember seeing these back in the day, but they are pretty cool looking, makes me want to search eBay and see what comes up?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎