• Jun 16, 2001

Sectaurs Documentary

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for sharing. I thought this was very well-done, and the existence of first-shots was new to me.

Sectaurs is one of my favorite lines, it really was a Tiffany toy line at the time. I have a complete loose set.

I was quite pleased, too at the mention of Zica's kickstarter. It funded very quickly, which I think shows how many fans of Sectaurs still fondly remember the original line.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 16, '18, 7:52 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Thanks for sharing. I thought this was very well-done, and the existence of first-shots was new to me.

Sectaurs is one of my favorite lines, it really was a Tiffany toy line at the time. I have a complete loose set.

I was quite pleased, too at the mention of Zica's kickstarter. It funded very quickly, which I think shows how many fans of Sectaurs still fondly remember the original line.
      What does that mean - a Tiffany toy line?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

High quality/craftsmanship, fine detailing. It's a back reference to Tiffany Jewelers' fine jewelry and accessories. For example. in the golden age of Hollywood film, MGM was described as the Tiffany studio because of its lavish budgets and polished production.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Oh no. I'm going to have to watch this.

For its time, the idea would have made more sense as GI Joe scale and they were too well crafted to be MOTU-esque. Sectaurs design had a real "If Mego continued" vibe.

The greatest anomaly is still Power Lords, the "What If Jack Kirby created He-Man" toy line.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
            For its time, Sectaurs design had a real "If Mego continued" vibe.
            I think that's part of the reason I like them so much, the detail and scale. I was collecting MOTU and Super Powers back then, too.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Great documentary. Never had any of the figures, although I did collect all the issues of the Marvel series.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                High quality/craftsmanship, fine detailing. It's a back reference to Tiffany Jewelers' fine jewelry and accessories. For example. in the golden age of Hollywood film, MGM was described as the Tiffany studio because of its lavish budgets and polished production.
                Ha! Airhead here. I was like, a Tiffany toyline? Not Debbie Gibson?

I loved Power Lords as well but never had any Sectaurs. I suppose I wasn't into the insect theme. Will have to warch the doc though! So many cool and creative toy lines in the 80s.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i remember he line come out, but it was at the time I was aging out of toys. I do remember thinking they were really cool looking and very Mego like

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^I was in late high school collecting them; I can't say I had much in common with my peers.

It would have been terrific to get that second wave. Oddly, I don't have the comics.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 16, '18, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

OK. It's good. Toys That Made Us is heavily influencing decisions. From a production view, that was pretty unfocused.

As for the toys, I had all the deluxe. I don't remember them being 25 a pop, but I think they were bday presents. Inever saw the Hyve until now. That would have been the ultimate all-purpose playset, be it MOTU, Joe, Super Powers, Secret Wars etc...I would've got that.

That second wave is interesting. Bandar is like a perfect blend of Superjoe Gor and a Gorn.

I'm surprised they don't state why the line failed. I saw it directly at the time; they creeped people out. I mean, the idea sprung from a Halloween gag, so the root is in being ugly and creepy. What they needed to do is really distinguish between insects by appeal. For the good, butterflies, bees and ladybugs have a pleasing aesthetic while praying mantis and grasshoppers are sleek. Everything else is nightmarish so they're evil.

Just look at Toho's history. They've made Battra and Megaguirus. Gamera has Legion. None of them are as memorable as Mothra due to the color patterns.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I think these came out when I was 14, they were neat, almost Mego sized. I imagine their scale was a barrier to entry for children immersed in other scales.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Thank you for posting this. That was great. I wish they'd reissue the original line. Other than adding maybe elbow articulation the toys hold up just fine as is and wouldn't look out of place on modern toy shelves. The line was a bit ahead of its time and kids reportedly had trouble telling which figures were supposed to be th heroes from the villains do to their insectoid nature. I really don't see that as an issue anymore.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Klosterheim
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2013

I am very happy that I was able to see this documentary.

Since they were only one wave, I had little memory of them until now.

I had the Hyve. I have no memory of the finger puppet. The spider hand puppet is what I always clearly remembered. (and the Hyve as a whole)

I don't think that I had any other of the puppets. I had at least one action figure, probably the main character. Their accessories were some of the best things about the toys.

I suppose other toys in 1986 had my full attention because my Hyve vanished and I didn't notice. I quickly forgot about the Sectaurs for a time, so I don't know the exact year of it's disappearance. I still can't figure it out, extra-terrestrials might have been involved.

I guess the Star Trek movie of 1986 had distracted me, then pretty much went all in for Star Trek TOS and films, then TNG began a year later and sent me in a different direction.

What an injustice that the 2nd Wave of Sectaurs was never released, those look really good.

Comment

• megoat
                              A Therefore Experience
                              • Jun 10, 2003

I think this line is terrific. Quite the bargain, too, since collector prices are very reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎