X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

5 Awesome things on Ebay this week

The best part of the interwebs for me is window shopping (and watching those thermal camera fart videos- never not funny!), so justify my time wasting with this week's top five!

Knock off Planet of the Apes mask from Japan- I know nothing of rubber masks except that i really like them and would love to have the funds/space to collect them. Stuff like this makes it crazy hard to resist it.

More after the jump

Muton Costume for Cyborg - If you're not familiar with Denys Fisher Cyborg toys, check out this, then come back and drool with me. I've attempted to collect these but I lose focus easy. You can fall in love with this line in our awesome Denys Fisher Cyborg gallery.

Foreign Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man poster- I have had one of these hanging in my son's bedroom since he was born and wow it has paid off, that kid could spell "Pataki" before he was toilet trained!

Mattel Sea Devils- After the Space Craze died, Mattel turned the Major Matt Mason line into scuba characters complete with underwater aliens and cool robot sharks. Even though this line came out when I still had an umbilicle cord, i am really drawn to it.

And Finally....

I found a copy of my book Rack Toys in a box recently, it's the last copy in the universe that i'll ever sell and I am auctioning it off. I plan to put all proceeds in my kid's college fund which is sort of the antithesis of this book. I'll sign it and include some goodies, maybe even a real life rack toy!

Thanks for enabling! More goodies next week!

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I had no idea about the Denys Fisher Cyborg line! I knew about Henshin Cyborg, but not this! And I always wondered how Mattel got around using Sea Devils as a name for their scuba-centric toyline, since DC had characters with a similar theme years before!

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Sep 14, '18, 2:00 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I had no idea about the Denys Fisher Cyborg line! I knew about Henshin Cyborg, but not this! And I always wondered how Mattel got around using Sea Devils as a name for their scuba-centric toyline, since DC had characters with a similar theme years before!

Chris
      I doubt DC had the forsight to register the name for toys. That wouldn't happen now.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for putting this together. Its a fun read.
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

I enjoy your lists, certainly some quirky items, I tell U one thing, I jumped on the Denys Fisher Cyborg stuff when I was working in the Uk, and practically have the whole lot now. Picked them all up in minty condition(loose) for some normal money. Actually picked my 6 cyborg up for around $60 the other day

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Funny... I had looked at the Sea Devils auction this morning....
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by alex
              I enjoy your lists, certainly some quirky items, I tell U one thing, I jumped on the Denys Fisher Cyborg stuff when I was working in the Uk, and practically have the whole lot now. Picked them all up in minty condition(loose) for some normal money. Actually picked my 6 cyborg up for around $60 the other day
              They are cool, I have several of them as well. Never did pick up the UFO/Cybo Invader... just couldn't find one cheap enough
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

So Cyborg is sort of like 9 inch Micronauts then? Or am I oversimplifying? Looks pretty cool.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Love the mask and the Sea Devils set...especially the Sea Devils. Thanks for sharing these.

I’m ashamed to say that I have not purchased and read your Rack Toys book. I’ll check out the auction.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by RSS

Muton Costume for Cyborg - If you're not familiar with Denys Fisher Cyborg toys, check out this, then come back and drool with me. I've attempted to collect these but I lose focus easy. You can fall in love with this line in our awesome Denys Fisher Cyborg gallery.
                    Heh, I'm the same way. Several years back I started to put together a collection of these but bailed about half way through and sold them all. A great toy line but I just have enough on my plate as it is.

Originally posted by Hedji
                    So Cyborg is sort of like 9 inch Micronauts then? Or am I oversimplifying? Looks pretty cool.
                    That's basically it. Denys Fisher took the 9" Shonen Cyborg (loosely translated as "Kid Cyborg", think Action Boy in the Captain Action line) figures from Takara's 12" Henshin Cyborg line, and shrunk down some of the 12" Henshin figures and costumes to 9" scale.
                    Last edited by cjefferys; Sep 14, '18, 8:32 PM.

Comment

• alex
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 15, 2009

This is the link to Brian's site with the cyborg stuff, this is actually my checklist

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I like the Cyporg line, particularly the Android. But it seems too daunting to collect, I've placated myself with 12" & 8" repros.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I have a few of the Japanese costumes but I was always a dabbler throwing nickels at the line. Ultraman and UltraSeven are going to be the Loooooooonnnnggg gaaaaaammmme with me.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• greensavage2000
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 9, 2013

I'm really enjoying these lists. I would love to collect the cyborg line and don't know a lot about masks either but if I ever win the lottery I'd collect both. The only masks I know anything about are from Distortions Unlimited. You should check them out. Nice stuff.
                            Why did you have to mention thermal camera fart videos. I do not need to go down that rabbit hole. Some rabbit, some hole.
                            My go to is barbie car downhill racing videos. You have no idea. Hilarious.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

Awesome indeed!… I try to draw the Ape City line at latex and foam rubber, but sometimes I fail.

DF Cyborg/Muton goods have been really elusive for me; I've had better luck with Takara goodies outta the far east. I re-state for the record, Japanese toys are such a wicked <rabbit hole!> of tasty, colorful fun! I could have probably avoided these altogether, but they had to make some apes which lured me into international oblivion. Damn you Bullmark, Popy, Masudaya, Medicom, Marmit, Awesome Toy… gahhhh!!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎