Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msenger76
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 3, 2009

i've always believed that the song "heartlight" played during ET when we saw it at the drive-in in 82. but its not in the dvd or vhs

Comment

• cockyhoskins
      Career Member
      • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by msenger76
      i've always believed that the song "heartlight" played during ET when we saw it at the drive-in in 82. but its not in the dvd or vhs
      That's because the song was written after Diamond and Burt Baccarach were inspired while watching ET. It definitely wasn't in the movie!

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo

But technically I think my suggestion about the resolution isn't completely incorrect, but rather an oversimplification on my part because I agree that the difference in resolution of VHS to DVD isn't humongous,
        Yeah analog 480i/480p wasn't really that bad. Plus tv and cable broadcasts as well as Vhs releases were full screen pan and scan giving an even closer look at her teeth. Making it even clearer she didn't have braces. Not really sure a second gen dub could even give the illusion of braces on her perfect teeth.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Yeah analog 480i/480p wasn't really that bad. Plus tv and cable broadcasts as well as Vhs releases were full screen pan and scan giving an even closer look at her teeth. Making it even clearer she didn't have braces. Not really sure a second gen dub could even give the illusion of braces on her perfect teeth.
          From what I know dubbing video or any video degradation or interference will often cause 1) loss of contrast range and 2) interlacing issues (because VHS doesn't have frames like film). Totally speculating, but my thinking is this: a less ideal video playback situation can make white teeth look a bit blown out - they can look brighter and hazier in a way that could look slightly glowing. Horizontal interlaced lines across the teeth could either look like something is there or at least look distorted or conceal enough detail to make someone who was expecting braces to think they saw them.

I think you're probably right. It's likely many people are completely misremembering braces just because that gag makes sense that way, but I don't think video playback could be a impossible secondary cause.

Comment

• supes
            For the love of Mego's!
            • Jan 19, 2004

I remember sitting on the curb with my best buddy in the late 70's playing with our Mego figures and he told me.that he had seen a Green Lantern Mego figure! I was a little doubtful but hopeful. Alas no Green Lantern Mego

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by supes
              I remember sitting on the curb with my best buddy in the late 70's playing with our Mego figures and he told me.that he had seen a Green Lantern Mego figure! I was a little doubtful but hopeful. Alas no Green Lantern Mego
              Yeah, Toys and Sports memories seem to be immune to the Mandela effect. If there was/ is a quantum computer changing the past you would think that would change as well but history and media seem to be more subjective.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

One of the recent Mandelas is Smokey the Bear.

Now he's Smokey Bear

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

In 1952, Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins wrote the popular anthem that would launch a continuous debate about Smokey’s name. To maintain the rhythm of the song, they added “the” between “Smokey” and “Bear.” Due to the song’s popularity, Smokey Bear has been called “Smokey the Bear” by many adoring fans, but, in actuality, his name never changed. He’s still Smokey Bear.
                  https://smokeybear.com/en/smokeys-hi...tory-of-smokey

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

So, no Mandela effect, just consequences from a failure to adhere to the brand standards...

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by knight errant00
                      So, no Mandela effect, just consequences from a failure to adhere to the brand standards...
                      Looks that way. In a similar vein, Pink Bunny....is it Energizer or Duracell?

http://www.alaricstephen.com/main-fe...rgizer-bunnies

It's both and easily explained, but I have a close friend that's convinced it's a timeline hiccup. That or he is running an Andy Kaufman-esque long con on me.

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Ok, I have one that may be true or may not. I have a memory about Gunsmoke. The one where Festus gets VD or it's insinuated by Doc that the Saloon Girls have VD he's seeing. Strange childhood memory. We watched TV as a family and I can remember in the show the cast upstairs talking about the treatment for this and joking. People say I'm crazy but I remember my Mom explaining it to me and the treatment was terrifying. I tried to look it up in a Bonanza guide but there were hundreds of episodes or something crazy like that. Now I knew nothing about sex or VD but I remember my Mom explaining it to me while watching the show. Make the bad memories go away Mommy....

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎