X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Mandela effect in toy collecting

In 2010 the phenomenon of collective false memory was dubbed the "Mandela effect" by self-described "paranormal consultant" Fiona Broome, in reference to a false memory she reports of the death of South African leader Nelson Mandela in the 1980s (when he was in fact still alive)

I can't say I remember toys that weren't made in our timeline. But I'd love to hear from people who do.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I've never personally experienced it. But I do remember many Star Wars collectors used to claim they had rocket firing Boba Fett figures as kids.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 12, '18, 7:27 PM. Reason: Typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Peter Parker's camera
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

And, how many kids did you know that just made stuff up left and right? There were always a few of those around.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I've never personally experienced it. But I do remember many Star Wars collectors used to claim they had rocket firing Bona Fett figures as kids.
          Yeah about every tenth collector in the 90s you'd meet at a flea market had one of those as a kid.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I've never personally experienced it. But I do remember many Star Wars collectors used to claim they had rocket firing Boba Fett figures as kids.
            The regular figure looks like the rocket would come out, I could see them being mistaken.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

^ Technically, that is the Mandalorian Effect.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                Nice.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

My childhood Boba Fett figure has light marks on the red plastic rocket from where I tried to pry it out with a wrench. It really did look like it should come out and I was sure I saw it did that in the commercials.

Amazing!

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

BOOM! That was good!

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Hmmm,

For the longest time I could have sworn I had a Smokey and the Bandit slot racing set.

I was recently corrected by a family member that I actually had a Knight Rider slot racing set.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

My Boba Fett rocket never came out, either.

I can't remember if the twelve-inch Boba Fett's rocket moved at all, but I could look through his head!

I did have lawn darts like on the X-Files episode that focused on this theory.

One episode of Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert also talks about it.

I remember trying to collect a Galoob "Speckled" Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I think those are accepted as real.

Many movies I remember differently from when I saw them in the theater, but I think that has to do with various Director's Cuts and versions, sometimes changed sneaked into home video.

Sometimes what came out different years seemed to have changed.

I do think there are some elements of the theory that are true.

I'll have to look up a Chewbacca children's book to see if it was real.

Oh, and I really thought at one time that an action-figure toy line was made for the television series Wizards & Warriors.

It might have been the Remco stuff, but it might have been real, then it changed due to the effect.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

^ There was a Chewbacca Wookie storybook in 1979.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

The Wookiee Storybook.jpgStar Wars The Holiday special.jpg

The Wookiee Storybook is sorta sequal to Star Wars A Holiday Special.

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Kind of like the people that swear they saw the deleted Biggs and Luke scene in the original theatrical showings of Star Wars (they didn't).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎