Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix She-Ra trailer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Canary View Post

If She-Ra doesn't catch on with new fans and the original fans turn their backs on it, Mattel could do the same.
    I've loved She-Ra since I was a kid. Collected the toys and watched the cartoon everyday after school. Signed up for a Matty Collector sub just so I wouldn't miss the the Adora figure. I just cannot support this. The characters aren't recognizable. It's like the planned DHX Strawberry Shortcake reboot, if they have to tell people who the characters are they are doing it wrong. This isn't She-Ra. It's a new show more in common with Korra and Steven Universe using the popular She-Ra names for marketing purposes. I'll support She-Ra by collecting new merchandise based on the original cartoon.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

^ Whatever happened to that DHX Shortcake? I saw the character art where they all looked like mallrats, but that was forever ago... Did it get scrapped or is it just in production for a really really long time?

Images
    ^ Whatever happened to that DHX Shortcake? I saw the character art where they all looked like mallrats, but that was forever ago... Did it get scrapped or is it just in production for a really really long time?
    Last I heard they are now threatening a 2019 release.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

LoL. Threatening.

Ewww. I was hoping they were reworking things to make her less... less.

http://www.movieviral.com/2018/09/12...cess-of-power/

Interesting article shared by Melendy Britt, the original voice of She-Ra, checking the nostalgia vs. progress argument over the new show. I think Melendy feels like old school fans shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for preferring the original aesthetic.

Images
    The whole debate over the She-Ra reboot is kind of a mess right now.

Long time fans are caught in the middle between two very loud groups that never really liked the original series in the first place. One side are the usual stereotypical dude bros that hated the original POP cartoon because it made MOTU girly are now upset because the reboot She-Ra is not "sexy" enough. The other side are fans of the people behind the reboot but not really old school POP fans. They hated the original series because it was "too stereotypically feminine" and they automatically lump anyone that doesn't like the reboot into the perv group of wanting She-Ra to be hot. I don't dislike the reboot because She-Ra is or isn't "sexy." I dislike it because the character designs are unrecognizable.

I'm just like, you know, good grief.

Images
    I think Melendy feels like old school fans shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for preferring the original aesthetic.
    I found the facebook post by Melendy that you were talking about.

"A fan sent this to me...I know I may be taking a chance posting and commenting on this, but my heart has been hurting for the comments some people and publicity machines are bombarding the internet with regarding some fans of the original She Ra series.
    I'm actually glad that in this published article someone finally has said "enough" to the kind of devisive marketing and negative publicity that has been promoted regarding the fact that some people might actually prefer the original series. It's a big world, and there's enough room for many cartoons. But, because the She Ra name is being used to do a "new" series, I believe you must respect the admiration of fans of the original, and not because you have the power of marketing or an ego trip put them into categories that denigrate their character. In meeting thousands of fans, I've NEVER come across any person who did not have a great heart and genuine love for the integrity and pure intention of the original series. It changed their lives for the better. It gave them comfort, laughter and joy with a moral view that is exceptional 33 years later. I love each and every one of you...JMHO"

Thank you She-Ra.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    my heart has been hurting for the comments some people and publicity machines are bombarding the internet with regarding some fans of the original She Ra series.
    I've been really thinking about Melendy's comments. She is right the marketing and PR of the new She-Ra cartoon has been really negative. It's not been "Look how great our reboot is" it's been "Look how terrible the fans of the original series are." Yeah, there is a lot of toxicity in fandom right now. But unlike some groups, She-Ra fans aren't exactly known for being hostile or toxic. It's really unfair to lump the majority fans of the classic series in with the trolls. It seems more like a cynical PR move to silence/shame classic fans then to stand up to the few trolls that never liked She-Ra to begin with.

The whole thing is just kind of depressing.

Images
    Shaming the core audience of older fans is a really stupid bit of marketing. Would the property even be worth a reboot without the fans keeping it relevant in some fashion over the years? Sure, kids and new fans might glom onto it, but if you're not attempting to work the nostalgia vibe, then why not just create something new, even if it's kind of a rip-off? Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Shaming the core audience of older fans is a really stupid bit of marketing. Would the property even be worth a reboot without the fans keeping it relevant in some fashion over the years?
    That's what really gets me about this. Beyond the ridiculous levels of secrecy, they've only revealed 4 character designs, and the absence of Swift Wind is the just plain mean spiritedness of the marketing and PR.