Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

One of my favorite Universal monsters. Awesome collection Dwayne!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Very nice! And I can't help but hear "It's the Mummy!!!" from Mad Monster Party? in my head when I saw this thread.
      Turns till they wind up tight.
      Turns till they loose, that's right.
      Mad Mummy Dance
      He's in a Trance
      All wrapped up in himself tonight!

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
        One of my favorite Universal monsters.
        I'll come clean. I never was a big Mummy fan. Drac, Frank, and Wolf were king, and Mummy was a distant second tier. As a kid, I just never found him scary. And he wasn't part of the Monster Squad (TV show).

But in later years, I've come around and been able to appreciate him more. It helps that the Universal Sequels are some of the most fun movies they made.

Mad Monsters Mummy truly is scary looking. And I love it when Aurora depicts him blue-ish, with blood on his bandages.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
          I'll come clean. I never was a big Mummy fan. Drac, Frank, and Wolf were king, and Mummy was a distant second tier. As a kid, I just never found him scary. And he wasn't part of the Monster Squad (TV show).

But in later years, I've come around and been able to appreciate him more. It helps that the Universal Sequels are some of the most fun movies they made.

Mad Monsters Mummy truly is scary looking. And I love it when Aurora depicts him blue-ish, with blood on his bandages.
          For me a big part of the appeal is the ancient Egyptian lore...and the fact that I find real mummies extremely disturbing. There is something truly terrifying about a 4,000 year old dried corpse walking around. At least the other monsters are technically "alive"...even the undead ones.

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Technically he is a zombie, but I think it is better that they don't call him a zombie. The biggest difference is that he is raised up by magic, and ancient magic at that. Original zombies were also raised by magic but they have changed that to being raised by rogue science, which cheapens it for me. THE Mummy should always be above mere zombies and should always have superior intelligence and self motivation. Justice/revenge is much scarier than "brains."

CCC.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

It's funny...my first exposure to the Mummy wasn't even in books or the movies, but rather a Hostess Twinkie AD in Batman #277

Comment

• alex
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 15, 2009

Certainly some very choice pieces

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

This was largely my experience, as well. I was really into Drac and the Phantom of the Opera as a kid, and the rest were all henchmen--Abbott & Costello-style. Later, I grew to appreciate each film and character.

What hurt the Mummy for me was seeing Chaney ones first--basically horny zombie films. But Imhotep is revelatory and as Dwayne says, the Egyptian motif drew me in. Once I had seen a real mummy in Cleveland (creepy!) and dove into Egyptian mythology, I was hooked.

And my favorite vintage Mad monster? Yep, the Horrible Mummy. I love the costume and the head sculpt is superb.

Originally posted by Hedji

WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I liked the Mummy designs in Amazing Stories and the Monster Squad film, but I felt sorry for him in the latter lol.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Oh yeah, "Mummy Daddy" was probably the best episode of Amazing Stories. Watched that one to death.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

A couple new additions...

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

That Karloff head looks great! will we be doing the Christopher Lee version? I'd love to see that.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                            That Karloff head looks great! will we be doing the Christopher Lee version? I'd love to see that.
                            Oh yeah! Lots of Lee stuff coming...and a few surprises! "Mummy Daddy" from Amazing Stories, "LOT 249" Mummy from Tales from the Darkside...

Comment

• glimpy
                              Loco Chango
                              • Feb 5, 2012

Very nice collection
                              sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Some more new additions!

Last edited by enyawd72; Oct 1, '18, 1:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎