X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

Type 1 Body repairs

Has anyone ever found a glue or adhesive of any type that will bond the plastic used in type 1 bodies?

As most of us know, legs can break at the knee and I have one that broke just below the knee (not at the pin) that I would like to try to repair.

I tried a 2 part epoxy but it didn't hold and I think I tried super glue years ago and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Sonic welding?

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

I've had great results with "Shoe Goo II". From my experience with the product, less is more. Choose a well ventilated space when you work with it. When you first apply it, tidy away the excess early enough with dabs of acetone on a Q-tip. Let the glue set for 24-48 hours; I personally find the 2+ days best. I also secure my parts with some transparent tape to ensure I see that it's setting straight. A bit more glue can be filled in any extra spaces later. I have been using this stuff for about 25 years on my Mego parts, and it's amazing.

PS: An extra small skeleton may be helpful with measuring and cutting a short, strong wire to be added between the 2 broken pieces (if they're not already hollow inside). Use plyers to hold a second piece of wire over a lit candle to heat it up (best result when the wire turns red hot) and melt the guide holes so to add in the extra small wire, to build in an inner wire 'bone'. This extra step can be the most helpful for long term strength.
      Last edited by comicmike; Sep 9, '18, 9:53 AM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

My real suggestion is to just replace the leg. Bodies are cheap enough to just make back to mint with no "repairs".

Comment

• lilbrosj66
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by comicmike
          I've had great results with "Shoe Goo II". From my experience with the product, less is more. Choose a well ventilated space when you work with it. When you first apply it, tidy away the excess early enough with dabs of acetone on a Q-tip. Let the glue set for 24-48 hours; I personally find the 2+ days best. I also secure my parts with some transparent tape to ensure I see that it's setting straight. A bit more glue can be filled in any extra spaces later. I have been using this stuff for about 25 years on my Mego parts, and it's amazing.

PS: An extra small skeleton may be helpful with measuring and cutting a short, strong wire to be added between the 2 broken pieces (if they're not already hollow inside). Use plyers to hold a second piece of wire over a lit candle to heat it up (best result when the wire turns red hot) and melt the guide holes so to add in the extra small wire, to build in an inner wire 'bone'. This extra step can be the most helpful for long term strength.
          Thanks! I will definitely try it.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            My real suggestion is to just replace the leg. Bodies are cheap enough to just make back to mint with no "repairs".
            I agree. And I do have other legs I could replace it with. The "I just know there has to be a way to fix this" part of me is alive and kicking. Drives me crazy when I can't just "fix" something. Maybe it's my version of OCD?

Comment

• darkbros
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 3, 2012

For the fixing a broken mego leg that has broken below swivel knee joint at the calf:

In the past what my brother and I did was break apart those push pin thumb tacks, take the metal pin out of it.
              Take a hand held ( battery powered) dremel, and drilled a small hole into the top of the calf
              apply a little super glue / loctite and set the flat end of the pin in the hole with needle nose pliers
              apply loctite at the top of the calf
              straighten out the knee swivel with the needle nose
              push with a bit of force the calf back into the swivel knee where everything lines up
              wrap with medical tape and let sit for 24 hours.
              remove the tape and it is fixed with one caveat, the leg wont bend at the knee without a bit of force because the end of the pin helps to keep it connected
              ( best you get is maybe 20 to 30 degree bend)
              but hey the leg is fixed lol

Now, like Lonnie said, you can pick up cheap replacement legs on ebay and flea markets.
              Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
              https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
              "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• comicmike
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by darkbros
                For the fixing a broken mego leg that has broken below swivel knee joint at the calf:

In the past what my brother and I did was break apart those push pin thumb tacks, take the metal pin out of it.
                Take a hand held ( battery powered) dremel, and drilled a small hole into the top of the calf
                apply a little super glue / loctite and ... end of the pin helps to keep it connected
                ( best you get is maybe 20 to 30 degree bend)
                but hey the leg is fixed lol
                Thanks for the heads up about the Loctite super glue product. I've never heard of that stuff before. I see it's sold in Canada. I'm always curious about different glue products. I personally relate to lilbrosj66 saying "I just know there has to be a way to fix this". For me, sometimes there's a small thrill in the challenge of fixing something.
                Last edited by comicmike; Sep 22, '18, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎