Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Thread: Type 1 Body repairs

Images

Type 1 Body repairs

Has anyone ever found a glue or adhesive of any type that will bond the plastic used in type 1 bodies?

As most of us know, legs can break at the knee and I have one that broke just below the knee (not at the pin) that I would like to try to repair.

I tried a 2 part epoxy but it didn't hold and I think I tried super glue years ago and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sonic welding?

I've had great results with "Shoe Goo II". From my experience with the product, less is more. Choose a well ventilated space when you work with it. When you first apply it, tidy away the excess early enough with dabs of acetone on a Q-tip. Let the glue set for 24-48 hours; I personally find the 2+ days best. I also secure my parts with some transparent tape to ensure I see that it's setting straight. A bit more glue can be filled in any extra spaces later. I have been using this stuff for about 25 years on my Mego parts, and it's amazing.

PS: An extra small skeleton may be helpful with measuring and cutting a short, strong wire to be added between the 2 broken pieces (if they're not already hollow inside). Use plyers to hold a second piece of wire over a lit candle to heat it up (best result when the wire turns red hot) and melt the guide holes so to add in the extra small wire, to build in an inner wire 'bone'. This extra step can be the most helpful for long term strength.
    Last edited by comicmike; Sep 9, '18 at 9:53 AM.

My real suggestion is to just replace the leg. Bodies are cheap enough to just make back to mint with no "repairs".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by comicmike View Post
    I've had great results with "Shoe Goo II". From my experience with the product, less is more. Choose a well ventilated space when you work with it. When you first apply it, tidy away the excess early enough with dabs of acetone on a Q-tip. Let the glue set for 24-48 hours; I personally find the 2+ days best. I also secure my parts with some transparent tape to ensure I see that it's setting straight. A bit more glue can be filled in any extra spaces later. I have been using this stuff for about 25 years on my Mego parts, and it's amazing.

PS: An extra small skeleton may be helpful with measuring and cutting a short, strong wire to be added between the 2 broken pieces (if they're not already hollow inside). Use plyers to hold a second piece of wire over a lit candle to heat it up (best result when the wire turns red hot) and melt the guide holes so to add in the extra small wire, to build in an inner wire 'bone'. This extra step can be the most helpful for long term strength.
    Thanks! I will definitely try it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnieFisher View Post
    My real suggestion is to just replace the leg. Bodies are cheap enough to just make back to mint with no "repairs".
    I agree. And I do have other legs I could replace it with. The "I just know there has to be a way to fix this" part of me is alive and kicking. Drives me crazy when I can't just "fix" something. Maybe it's my version of OCD?

Images
    For the fixing a broken mego leg that has broken below swivel knee joint at the calf:

In the past what my brother and I did was break apart those push pin thumb tacks, take the metal pin out of it.
    Take a hand held ( battery powered) dremel, and drilled a small hole into the top of the calf
    apply a little super glue / loctite and set the flat end of the pin in the hole with needle nose pliers
    apply loctite at the top of the calf
    straighten out the knee swivel with the needle nose
    push with a bit of force the calf back into the swivel knee where everything lines up
    wrap with medical tape and let sit for 24 hours.
    remove the tape and it is fixed with one caveat, the leg wont bend at the knee without a bit of force because the end of the pin helps to keep it connected
    ( best you get is maybe 20 to 30 degree bend)
    but hey the leg is fixed lol

Now, like Lonnie said, you can pick up cheap replacement legs on ebay and flea markets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Quote Originally Posted by darkbros View Post
    For the fixing a broken mego leg that has broken below swivel knee joint at the calf:

In the past what my brother and I did was break apart those push pin thumb tacks, take the metal pin out of it.
    Take a hand held ( battery powered) dremel, and drilled a small hole into the top of the calf
    apply a little super glue / loctite and ... end of the pin helps to keep it connected
    ( best you get is maybe 20 to 30 degree bend)
    but hey the leg is fixed lol
    Thanks for the heads up about the Loctite super glue product. I've never heard of that stuff before. I see it's sold in Canada. I'm always curious about different glue products. I personally relate to lilbrosj66 saying "I just know there has to be a way to fix this". For me, sometimes there's a small thrill in the challenge of fixing something.
    Last edited by comicmike; Sep 22, '18 at 10:01 AM.