X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

1977 Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man Pilot HD Restoration GoFundMe

There is currently a GoFundMe to have the original pilot episode from the 1977 Amazing Spider-Man TV series restored and scanned in HD from a 35mm print.

It was closed for a while, but is now open again. It could be capped at any time.

Important details: There will NOT be a Blu Ray produced. Backers will get access to a HD file of the scan. It will not be posted in Hi Definition to YouTube or anywhere else. There is no minimum donation.

https://www.gofundme.com/35mm-1977-s...-film-transfer
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

The popular consensus is the show wasn't very good, but the finite amount of live action comic characters at that time should warrant a re-mastered release a long time ago.

This and Green Hornet I'd love to see on Blu-ray.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I'd rather see The Electric Company Spidey get remastered in high definition.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        The popular consensus is the show wasn't very good, but the finite amount of live action comic characters at that time should warrant a re-mastered release a long time ago.

This and Green Hornet I'd love to see on Blu-ray.
        I loved it...it was my very first introduction to Spider-Man and was the only serious live action attempt until The Sam Raimi films. Despite all the versions that have come since, it's still my favorite. The lack of respect Marvel gives their old TV shows astounds me. DC has released every single incarnation of it's characters in both live action and animation. They aren't embarrassed by their history and know that there are fans out there that WANT to see those versions. Was the Spider-Man series any worse than Shazam!? Of course not. Marvel needs to get with the program. The 1977-78 Spider-Man series, 1960's and 1970's Fantastic Four cartoons, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, The Incredible Hulk 1982...ALL should have been released officially by now.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          I'd rather see The Electric Company Spidey get remastered in high definition.
          I'd rather have both!

The Hammond show doesn't get everything right, but it has a great suit, a groovy Parker, cool music, and some amazing stuntwork, given the limitations of the production and the era. I dig it.

The Electric Co. Spidey is just childhood happiness, quirky behaviors, and again, a great suit. Happy times.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I always enjoyed the series, as well. I thought it was fun and didn’t have to look past that fact.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

One of the great things about the MCU Doctor strange film was the added attention got us a DVD of the 1978 tv movie.

Comment

• Agent4125
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 23, 2007

Does anyone know which company (or companies?) currently holds the rights to the 70s Spiderman series?
                Are there some problems with multiple companies having rights?
                Is it maybe a similar problem that prevented the release of Batman 66 on DVD / BluRay for many years?

I assume that if it was possible, the series would have been released on DVD already.
                I mean, it's Spiderman! Even if it wasn't that good, they still would make money from it, wouldn't they?
                (and nearly every TV series from that era has been released, the good ones as well as the not so good ones...)

That GoFundMe project seems to be just an (unofficial) fan project?
                Someone somehow got the reels with an old copy of the movie and intends to digitize it.
                (wasn't there a similar project for digitizing an old Star Wars 35mm copy?)
                Of course they can't release it on BluRay. It would be illegal.

I wish there was an official release of the 70s Spiderman series. I like it.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

It seems like the last time I saw it was on SciFi, years ago, now. I don’t believe it ever made its way to the current retro series networks like most series have. Maybe there is some sort of distribution issue. As far as syndication goes, it may be an issue of not enough episodes available...though, in this case, since it’s a super hero series, I’d think some station would pick it up, if possible...just to air it once per weekend.

- Ian

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

haven't seen it since I was a kid but would love to pick up the series on Bluray. not interested in the go fund me thing though

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      As far as syndication goes, it may be an issue of not enough episodes available...though, in this case, since it’s a super hero series, I’d think some station would pick it up, if possible...just to air it once per weekend.
                      - Ian
                      It seems like back in the 80s and early 90s, they were doing like The Night Stalker and the POTA series and combining two episodes to run in movie slots. Haven't seen those in a long time, though.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
                        It seems like back in the 80s and early 90s, they were doing like The Night Stalker and the POTA series and combining two episodes to run in movie slots. Haven't seen those in a long time, though.
                        I’m sure you’re right about that. I can’t recall.

I had forgotten that POTA TV series isn’t seen, either. I haven’t looked it up, but I guess it wasn’t on very long or we’d have seen someone air it since the new movies have been such hits. They could do it, just like Spider-Man, though. So, maybe some other issue is keeping it from being aired.

- Ian

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                          I’m sure you’re right about that. I can’t recall.
                          I had forgotten that POTA TV series isn’t seen, either. I haven’t looked it up, but I guess it wasn’t on very long or we’d have seen someone air it since the new movies have been such hits. They could do it, just like Spider-Man, though. So, maybe some other issue is keeping it from being aired.- Ian
                          The POTA series has been on somewhat recently. It was on late nights on ME-TV in the last year or two . . . I know I watched a few episodes, recalling it as a favorite as a kid. But Spidey's been MIA for sure.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by knight errant00
                            The POTA series has been on somewhat recently. It was on late nights on ME-TV in the last year or two . . . I know I watched a few episodes, recalling it as a favorite as a kid. But Spidey's been MIA for sure.
                            Oh, okay. I totally missed that it had been on MeTV recently. Though, if it was on late nights, that explains why I missed it. From looking through the guide, they air some pretty good stuff late.

At least their better than Cozi, that has rights to many good, long running series that they save for once or twice on weekends. Then on weekdays, they turnaround and air Little House, Murder She Wrote, Fraiser, Nanny and Will & Grace all for three hours per day, Monday thru Friday. They’re all good series, but they run them into the ground. And, put the Dick Van Dyke show on at 5am. LOL....Strange scheduling, but I distress.

Anyhow, Spidey is one I certainly miss. It would fit in well Saturday evenings on MeTV. For a while, their sister network, Heroes and Icons was showing The Incredible Hulk weekdays at 5pm, but it seems that’s no more. In fact, it looks like MeTV has mainly abandoned their Saturday evening super hero line up, sans Wonder Woman.

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I rewatched the pilot for our podcast a few years back. It has it's charms, but it's production standards are pretty lackluster, unfortunately. It's actually poorly crafted compared to the Hulk TV series and even (GULP!) the Captain America movies of the time. The cast is pretty solid (Hammond is ten times the actor of Reb Brown, for instance), and the stunts by Fred Waugh are very impressive. There are some bad effects (the chromakey bit of Peter unconvincingly crawling on the outside of his house), but for the most part the action is pretty well done...except when the editing department lets them down. I still love the homemade look of the Spider-Man suit. It's about the peak of what a low-income kid form Queens could whip up on his own.

I think some of later episodes are better, such as Night of the Clones and the two-parter in China.

All that being said, I still enjoy the show from a purely nostalgic POV, and I'd buy it in a heart-beat if someone would finally release it. As it stands my official VHS copies and the DVDs ripped off of those will have to do.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎