Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Wasn’t the Reb Brown Captain America aimed to be a series, but didn’t rate well enough, or am I wrong about that? I truly don’t know. I remember the previews at the time and recall thinking that it was going to be a TV series. As we know, that’s not what happened.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I was under the impression the first movie was a pilot for a series, and CBS wanted another movie, but wasn't committed to a series, partially due to the axe being dropped on all their other comic shows except The Incredible Hulk in 79.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

^ Thanks, Chris! I know that version of Cap was considered cheesy, but I thought it was really neat at the time.

I think it’s turned out that I’m not a very sophisticated superhero fan.

- Ian

Comment

• knight errant00
          8 Inch Action Figure
          • Nov 15, 2005

^I've also read that the head of CBS at the time wasn't keen on having comic book shows on "his" network because it was embarrassing to him (Hulk was at least a Fugitive-style drama with a monster).

I think the situation is similar to how, in the early 70s, CBS cancelled all the "rural" shows (Beverly Hillbillies, Hee-Haw, Glen Campbell, Green Acres, Mayberry RFD, etc. with Gunsmoke dodging the bullet only because it was in the TV top 10) because the CEO didnl like other TV CEOs making fun of his "Hayseed" network. To his credit, it brought us classics like Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore but many of the shows he cancelled were still performing well.
          Last edited by knight errant00; Sep 13, '18, 3:23 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^I've heard the same story told for the axe jobs CBS gave the rural shows early in the 70s, and comic shows later that same decade. The story goes either that someone at a Hollywood party called CBS the "Country Broadcasting System" or the "Comic Book Station", or something like that. Either way, the exec was so upset he axed "any show with a tree in it" as for shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Mayberry, RFD and Green Acres, and anything with a comic connection, like Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and potential series of Cap and Dr. Strange that never went beyond TV movies. The Hulk escaped due to ratings and The Fugitive angle you mentioned.

Not sure which axing actually goes with that story, or its all bunk, but it's a good story either way.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

And, at the time Giligan’s Island was canceled, the same guys wife influenced that. Gunsmoke was slated to go, but it was her favorite show, so Giligan got the axe instead...after the cast, crew, etc were told that it had been picked up for another season. The were all left hanging out to dry as Gunsmoke went on to 20 seasons. (Not that I dislike Gunsmoke)

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

And, at the time Giligan’s Island was canceled, the same guys wife influenced that. Gunsmoke was slated to go, but it was her favorite show, so Giligan got the axe instead...after the cast, crew, etc were told that it had been picked up for another season. The were all left hanging out to dry as Gunsmoke went on to 20 seasons. (Not that I dislike Gunsmoke)
                Yes! This story as well. I wouldn't want to lose Gunsmoke, but who wouldn't want more Gilligan?

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎