Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel Launches Film Division (Mattel Films)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Mattel Launches Film Division (Mattel Films)

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...er-1202929275/

Toymaker Mattel Inc. is creating of Mattel Films, a new division producing motion pictures based on its globally recognized franchises.

Hollywood veteran Robbie Brenner, producer of “Dallas Buyers Club,” has been appointed to lead Mattel Films as executive producer, reporting to Ynon Kreiz, Mattel’s new chairman and CEO. The deal was announced on Thursday afternoon.

“Mattel is home to one of the world’s greatest portfolios of beloved franchises, and the creation of Mattel Films will allow us to unlock significant value across our IP,” said Kreiz. “Robbie is a gifted storyteller and a highly respected filmmaker with deep relationships in entertainment. She is the perfect leader to bring our celebrated brands to life.”

Brenner scored an Oscars best picture nomination for “Dallas Buyers Club,” and her film “Burden” was a 2018 Sundance Film Festival audience award winner. She was a partner and president of the film division at the Firm, as well as president of production at Relativity Media. Brenner also ran the classics division at Davis Entertainment, and held senior VP roles at both 20th Century Fox and Miramax. In 2015, Brenner was invited to join the executive branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

She oversaw production of “The Fighter,” “Mirror Mirror, “Dear John,” and “Safe Haven” and was involved in the acquisitions of the Sundance documentary “Catfish” and Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s directorial debut, “Don Jon,” starring Gordon-Levitt and Scarlett Johansson.

“Generations of children around the world have grown up with deep emotional connections to Mattel’s brands and characters,” said Brenner. “There are so many stories to be told and so many imaginations to be captured by these iconic brands, and I look forward to working with Ynon and his team to do so.”

Mattel has lagged behind rivals Lego and Hasbro in terms of moviemaking in Hollywood. Lego has released a trio of movies through Warner Bros. since 2014. Its “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part” will open in February.

Hasbro has partnered with Michael Bay and Paramount on five “Transformers” movies, which have grossed $4.4 billion worldwide. A “Bumblee” spinoff will open in December. Hasbro has also seen movie success from its G.I. Joe and Ouija brands.

Mattel has Barbie, Hot Wheels, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Monster High, and Max Steel as potential properties. Most recently, it’s been developing “Barbie” and “Masters of the Universe” movies at Sony but Sony’s options have expired on those properties. Earlier this year, Sony announced that it had pushed back the release of “Barbie,” which had Anne Hathaway attached at that point, from 2018 to 2020.

Mattel’s most recent foray into movies came with 2016’s live-action “Max Steel,” which performed poorly with less than $4 million at the domestic box office.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Can't wait for the Pulsar movie...
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

From what I've read the first two projects will be Barbie and Masters of the Universe.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Somebody could develop the Sunshine Family into a great horror franchise, get Eli Roth on the phone.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by palitoy
          Somebody could develop the Sunshine Family into a great horror franchise, get Eli Roth on the phone.
          Insight of the week!
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I would totally see a film based on Big Jim's P.A.C.K.

The mind boggles at how the film would explain how and why Pulsar happens.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Gre-Gory: The Movie.

Who else besides me wants to see that?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^Regarding Pulsar: Bio-mechanical cyborg. I'd go see it. Love that toy line.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Major Matt Mason baby!
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    From what I've read the first two projects will be Barbie and Masters of the Universe.
                    I hope not, I can't see either of em not stinking to the high heavens.

Hot Wheels I could see being good. If it's a gone in 60 seconds but has concept vehicles like Spitting Imagine though out the film.

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

You laugh, but for years I've wanted to run with my Pulsar movie idea as a SyFy channel Saturday night movie . . .

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        I would totally see a film based on Big Jim's P.A.C.K.
                        Me too!

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

A live-action BraveStarr movie might be fun.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by drquest
                            Major Matt Mason baby!
                            https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1404633/

Don't know if there is indeed active development going on for the movie, but I remember it being reported pretty heavily that Tom Hanks was interested in developing it for the big screen 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

They should recruit James Gunn to do Major Matt Mason.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎