X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

MPC Star Wars Story

MPC Star Wars models will always remind me of a funny story, well if you're my dad, you wouldn't laugh.

You see in third grade, this cool kid named Andrew (that's his real name, cause I doubt he's a reader) brought in his fully assembled C3-PO model and somehow, i became "salesman of the year" and got Andrew to lend me the model for the evening.

So of course, i broke the elastic that held the damned thing together instantly when I got home. I panicked, it's in my nature and my folks offered to help.

My fleeting memory of this is my father in his undershirt mumbling "sonova*****" toiling with C3-PO until the wee hours. I awoke to a fully assembled kit and a warning not to borrow other kid's toys. I was saved!

I didn't learn my lesson and when Andrew traded me for my "Incredible Hulk" treasury edition for his hardbound editions of "Superman and Batman: From the 30's to the 70's" I just let it go until the eight grade. I realized Andrew was just not that interested in his material possessions.

Pssst Andrew, I still have your books...

We have a PodCast! It's fun, please listen.

Check out our Instagram for more stuff like this blog.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Thank you for posting this beautiful artwork.

- (another) Andrew

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Very nostalgic reading Artoo Detoo

Nobody ever writes it like that anymore

It's just R2 D2 nowadays

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
        Very nostalgic reading Artoo Detoo
        Yeah, i love when Star Wars was new. So much funkiness that evaporated by 1979.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

^ Yes to both of that. I'm of two minds.... I'm a diehard lifelong fan of all things Star Wars. Prequels, sequels, Clone Wars... all of it. It's my happy place.

But I will always hold dear that special time when there was one movie.

The canvas for your own imagination to propel the story further was vast and uncluttered.

Topps Cards with stickers meant something, and there were no chase cards.

Off-model artwork was everywhere; Style Guides were loose at best.

Soundtrack and Story LPs, movie viewers, and Give-A-Show were the gateway to reliving the experience.

Brian Daley, Alan Dean Foster, and Roy Thomas held the keys to the kingdom.

Darth Vadar Lives

No such thing as High End Collectibles or scalping or secondary markets

We were at the top of the first hill of a roller coaster ride then. I've enjoyed most of the ride, but nothing beats that top hill.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I enjoy Empire and have no beef with Jedi but I truly over romanticise that era when Star Wars was a new thing. It's just a good time in my life.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

I'm not letting you borrow mine.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Hedji
                The canvas for your own imagination to propel the story further was vast and uncluttered.
                Soundtrack and Story LPs, movie viewers, and Give-A-Show were the gateway to reliving the experience.
                Darth Vadar Lives
                Absolutely agree.
                Truly a golden age!
                I've been a SW fan since the very beginning... and those early years were particularly magical.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
                  ^ Yes to both of that. I'm of two minds.... I'm a diehard lifelong fan of all things Star Wars. Prequels, sequels, Clone Wars... all of it. It's my happy place.

But I will always hold dear that special time when there was one movie.

Darth Vadar Lives

We were at the top of the first hill of a roller coaster ride then. I've enjoyed most of the ride, but nothing beats that top hill.

I totally agree, I was nine years old when the summer of 1977 happened, the period between then and 1978 was a truly magical time for me that has never been recaptured (but can intense childhood nostalgia ever be recaptured? Sadly no).

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

I was 5 when Star Wars came out. My parents didn't take us to see it for what seemed like months. It was probably weeks, but hearing all the other kids talk about it made it feel like months. The movie had a profound impact on me which maybe some of you get. My wife and other family sure don't get it. My daughter was about the same age when Disney's Frozen came out. Seeing how she and the other kids reacted to that made we wonder, was this how I was for Star Wars? I doubt she will be collecting Frozen toys in 40 years though. All that being said, I can watch the recent Star Wars movies and view them as just movies and not get upset. Nobody can take away the summer of 1977.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Wonderful models and box art.

Early Star Wars was pretty much Everything.

Nothing else could come close to any aspect of it's magnificence and astounding creativity.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Early Star Wars always used the Droids for it's face.

I always wondered if it was for the kids or secretly they just didn't want to pay actor likenesses on everything

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎