Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35 years of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

35 years of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

September 5th 1983.

This month marks the 35th anniversary of the Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe animated series.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I can't describe how excited I was to see this debut. It was an event that I had marked in my mental calendar. I was in on the MOTU ground floor in 82, and it seemed like a decade before the cartoon debuted, but it was really less than a year for me, since I got my initial MOTU swag for Christmas of 82.

Even then, I felt like some of the teeth of MOTU had been filed off by Filmation's usual "cuteness", but it was so well done, I honestly didn't mind!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I was at a furniture store with my parents in Toronto when it first aired, I watched half of it in the TV section of the store with another kid.

Having bought a couple of the figures and read the booklets as well as the DC comic, I was a bit shocked at it's more juvenile turn. I agree though Mattel was wiser to focus on a younger audience than kids on their way out of toys.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

One thing to remember is you could get away with a LOT more in a comic than you could in an animated series at that time. They were working under some pretty severe restrictions. Even with the reduced levels of action the show was still constantly under fire being too violent. Not to mention all the hysteria of it being supposedly demonic.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
          One thing to remember is you could get away with a LOT more in a comic than you could in an animated series at that time. They were working under some pretty severe restrictions. Even with the reduced levels of action the show was still constantly under fire being too violent. Not to mention all the hysteria of it being supposedly demonic.
          Good points, I was pretty savvy to that with the GI Joe cartoon, i realized that the lasers were there for a reason.

I totally forget about the "Satanic Panic" over 80s toys because at the time, all my music was under the same scrutinity.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

MOTU was getting swept up in the fringes of the outcry against things like D&D. There's the infamous video warning parents their kids were turning into Satantists by Mattel and Filmation. See those same folks giving Harry Potter crap over the last 20 years.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎