X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Madcap70
    Since when does Doc Mego offer free gifts?
    As tjacwave mentioned, any order over $30 gets a free gift. I didn't see that when I ordered, and was wondering why I got the ape suit, but when I went back to the site and was looking in the contact area I saw the note about orders over $30.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by tjacwave50
      Your project sounds really exciting and looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.
      This weekend I am going to start experimenting with some 2 part apoxy sculpt to try adding pointed ears to heads for elves and Kender. I got some cheap $1 mermaids from Dollar General that are Mego scale that I will use as case studies to see how it goes before trying it on the heads I want to use for Laurana, Tanis and Tasslehoff. Also need to do some experiments with tinting/coloring the facial area of a couple cheap heads gold to see how they come out before deciding how I want to do it for Raistlin. Then seeing if I can find an option to get his hair white without rerooting. Also need to experiment with some flocking vs. paint vs, laying hair to make Tanis' beard, so a lot of the initial work on this project is trial and error stuff on cheap fodder parts to see what results I can expect before working on the actual heads/parts I want to use. I am also doing some weapon/accessory fabrication experiments too to see how they will come out. Some with wooden dowels for the staves, some with sculpey, for things like the staff heads for Raistlin and Goldmoon, etc.

I will also be cutting up a bunch of cheap ($1.50 each) braided leather belts my wife and I bought at Goodwill to use as straps for packs, pouches, armor, etc. and once I we get the sewing machine set up, she will start sewing and teaching me to sew to make some of the capes, cloaks, robes, etc. from the fabric we bought the past few weeks. She showed me how to use the robes on the Sutekh figure from BBP's Dr. Who line to male a pattern we will use to make Raistlin's robes in red. And we have about 3-4 different armor making techniques ranging from metallic looking fabric to shaped fun foam to armor fabricated form foil liners/wrappers that we want to play with to see which results we like best.

so far my base figures will be as follows...

Jeannie (Mego 2018)->Goldmoon

Peg Bundy (Mego 2018) ->Tika Waylan

Kelly Garrett (Mego 2018)->Kitiara

CVTV female teen body + CVTV rooted blonde female head ->Laurana

Doc Mego kid body + head tbd ->Tasslehoff Burrfoot (I need a head with long rooted hair to make a topknot, I may use one of the dollar tree mermaid heads and use acetone to remove the feminine paint job and repaint it as a kender and sculpt some ears if I don't find a better candidate, not sure yet

Doc Mego buff body w/swivel biceps + CVTV barbarian king (Kull) head ->Caramon

Doc Mego standard body + CVTV barbarian warrior (Conan) w/brown hair head->Riverwind

CVTV yellow body + CVTV Puritan (Solomon Kane) head-> Raistlin (need to tint the head's facial features gold, repaint the eyes to get the hourglass pupils, and recolor the hair, reroot, or create a white wig for him.

what I am considering but am not sure of yet on base bodies

Major Nelson (Mego 2018)->Tanis Half Elven if I can change the hair to reddish brown, add a beard & pointed ears-hence the experiements with ways to get a beard this coming weekend)

Action Jackson (Mego 2018) ->Sturm Brightblade if I can add mustache and lengthen the hair (or reroot), The other option I am considering for Sturm, but I will have to order somewhere to do so, is to convert a CVTV Black Knight (which is not offered seperately only if I buy the knight set) or to get a Black Knight head from Doc Mego. If I do that, then ActionJackson will become the base figure for Verminaard.

I still haven't figured out how to do Flint Fireforge, dwarf yet.

I am waiting to take a look at the upcoming Gorn figure to see if I can use it as a base to make a Draconian too. I have some armature wire and material to make dragon-like wings to add to it, but I am not sure if it will look Draconic enough with it's snout/reptillian features, or if I will need to go a different route fora base figure for a Draconian.

I have some other stuff to figure out for some other characters too, but I have a good start for the core of the Heroes of the Lance.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Ninersphan1
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 27, 2009

I will be watching this thread with MUCH interest, Dragonlance one of my favorite series of books. You mentioned you had begun re-reading the original DL Trilogy, if you aren't to far into it, I'd suggest picking up and reading the Annotated version if you can find it. Not sure if it's still in print. It has wonderful notes from the authors on almost every page. the really neat thing is seeing how slavish they were to the game sysytem in the first novel and once the book took off how they were able to back off on that and just let the story flow. more in the second and third.

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

I love seeing the step by step processes like this. Keep us posted as you go along; I really want to see ho all these come together.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I found the dragons at Wal-Mart, MRP--thanks for the advice. I've wanted to do a St. George for a long time, this dragon will help advance the project.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I found the dragons at Wal-Mart, MRP--thanks for the advice. I've wanted to do a St. George for a long time, this dragon will help advance the project.
              Cool. Glad you found them. I picked up the Black Dragon with red highlight last weekend too. It will need a repaint to become the red I need for Verminaard's dragon, but it should do the trick.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Just picked up a copy of The Art of the Dragonlance Saga (to replace a copy that got lost about 20 years ago when a box of books disappeared during a move) for some added art references for these.

The more I look at the art of the Draconians in here and at pictures of the new Gorn from Wave 2, the more comfortable I feel using the Gorn as a base figure for the Draconians (now I just need to find a few Gorn figures).

Borrowing this pic from the Mego Crop FB page...

and then looking at this Keith Parkinson piece of the various types of Draconians...

I think the Gorn should make a very good and affordable base to do some Draconians. I'll need to adjust the skin color, and I have armature wire and a good material base for wings, so I think it it can work. We'll see. Like I said, need to find wave 2 in stores first.

-M

Comment

• GUYx1
                  FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                  • Apr 20, 2005

spectre-cover-7.jpg The Gorn would make an awesome Draconian! Keep up the great work!
                  Cheers,
                  Guyx1

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

I see these are D&D customs I don't see may of these out there

EDIT:

I saw these on the web is this from a member here?

Custom Mego, Highland Heights, Ohio. 2,118 likes. Custom made Mego Type figures from the 1970's - 1980-'s with cloth clothing and stand about 8" tall.
                    Last edited by Madcap70; Oct 21, '18, 1:54 PM.

Comment

• MarvelousCustoms
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 28, 2017

I use to sell the miniatures from Ral Partha. Can't wait to see the finished product
                      Visit my store for all your Mego needs and Figure Factory customs

https://www.worldsgreatestsuperheroes.com/

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

We had a couple of house and work issues come up these last few weeks (and my laptop dying and needing to retrieve all the files from it), so this got put on the back burner for a few weeks, but everything else should be getting wrapped up by this weekend, so hopefully I can get back to it next week. In the meantime, I did place a second order with CVTV as they were now offering the Black Knight head and some of the knight and western clothing, and that head was perfect for Sturm and a few of the chainmail body suits and western leather/hide pants will go a long way on these.

-M

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                          Cool. Glad you found them. I picked up the Black Dragon with red highlight last weekend too. It will need a repaint to become the red I need for Verminaard's dragon, but it should do the trick.

-M
                          I just noticed you mentioned buying a black dragon--mine is red with black shading.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I just noticed you mentioned buying a black dragon--mine is red with black shading.
                            There were a few different repaints of the dragon available at Wal*Mart, and I wish I had picked up some of the others I saw when I did see them, but I haven't sen any of the dragons in stories in a while.

However, most of the custom work has been put on hold, my wife has been dealing with hip issues (and we just found out she will need a hip replacement) and cannot comfortably do stairs right now, and since the workshop/sewing stuff is down in the finished room of the basement, she has been unable to do any of the sewing needed for this. I am looking at doing a reset to move stuff upstairs for her, but until I can or until she can do stairs again comfortably, most of our custom projects will be on hold, but work and picking up extra stuff around the house to ease her burden are taking up any time I have to do a reset, so it could be a while.

-M

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm sorry to hear of her debility, I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I just unboxed my dragon yesterday, I cannot recommend these enough. Sturdy, well-designed, great action features. The scale is excellent with Mego knights.

Earlier Dragon-i versions feature an unwieldy remote; the control features have been integrated in the Action Force/Wal-Mart release.

I would have loved an olive-green dragon with copper shading, but blue, yellow, black, and red versions are available. The blue is rather spiffy.

Comment

• Random Axe
                                The Voice of Reason
                                • Apr 16, 2008

I am so looking forward to seeing the progress on this project. It's a great undertaking and such fantastic source material. Cincinnati is primarily known for Kenner and Star Wars, but we also have deep AD and D roots with Ral Partha being here(I used to paint for the catalogs) and Tim Kask is local who wrote the majority of the text for the original game release and for the subsequent books like Monster Manual, DM Guide and Deities and Demigods.
                                I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎