Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragonlance: Heroes of the Lance project-a progress diary

Quote Originally Posted by drquest View Post
    Good luck with this! I have a first issue Dragonlance Chronicles Dragons of Autumn Twilight sitting in arms reach of me as I type. I really liked that series!
    I have been re-reading the original novels for the first time in years the past few weeks. I read the first volume before I went on vacation, took the second volume with me on the trip, and am about a third of the way through the third (Spring Dawning) right now.

I just watched a panel from this year's Gary Con (the gaming con in honor of Gary Gygax held in Lake Geneva) that featured co-writers Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman and artists Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley about Dragonlance, and they mentioned being under an NDA about a Dragonlance project which is fueling speculation the proposed movie trilogy of D&D movies set to start coming out in 2020 or 2021 will be a Dragonlance adaptation. The animated movie a decade ago was a bit lacking (as Tracy Hickman put it, it would have been a great radio drama as it was a well-written adaptation with a spectacular cast who did a fantastic job, but unfortunately you had to look at that animation and it just ruined the whole thing).

I first discovered Dragonlance in high school when a classmate ran us through the first few modules in our AD&D game and told me there were novels I couldn't read because we were playing the game (as if that stopped me) and I devoured the trilogy over the course of a few weeks (it was right around the time the third book was first released). I have revisted it before and it always has a soft spot in my heart. Add to that, Margaret Weis is a sweetheart (my wife and I have met her on several occasions at Gen Con and Origins over the years), and I just adore the property, which is a large part why I am doing this.

-M

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I have been re-reading the original novels for the first time in years the past few weeks. I read the first volume before I went on vacation, took the second volume with me on the trip, and am about a third of the way through the third (Spring Dawning) right now.

I just watched a panel from this year's Gary Con (the gaming con in honor of Gary Gygax held in Lake Geneva) that featured co-writers Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman and artists Larry Elmore and Jeff Easley about Dragonlance, and they mentioned being under an NDA about a Dragonlance project which is fueling speculation the proposed movie trilogy of D&D movies set to start coming out in 2020 or 2021 will be a Dragonlance adaptation. The animated movie a decade ago was a bit lacking (as Tracy Hickman put it, it would have been a great radio drama as it was a well-written adaptation with a spectacular cast who did a fantastic job, but unfortunately you had to look at that animation and it just ruined the whole thing).

I first discovered Dragonlance in high school when a classmate ran us through the first few modules in our AD&D game and told me there were novels I couldn't read because we were playing the game (as if that stopped me) and I devoured the trilogy over the course of a few weeks (it was right around the time the third book was first released). I have revisted it before and it always has a soft spot in my heart. Add to that, Margaret Weis is a sweetheart (my wife and I have met her on several occasions at Gen Con and Origins over the years), and I just adore the property, which is a large part why I am doing this.

-M
    I had heard there's a possible new move happening, but ideally a series would be awesome. Similar with me, my friends and I were playing D&D in High School and I happened to catch the first book and then had to wait patiently for the next one to come out etc... Fun book series for sure!

Second batch of raw materials arrived for the project, this time form Doc Mego...

a brawny body (with swivel biceps) will serve for Caramon's body, the kid body will be for Tasslehoff the Kender, and a 5 pack of bodies to use as I move forward. I also got the Thor helmet to kitbash with the black knight helm to make Caramon's helmet and a pair of knight boots. The purple ape suit was the free gift for an order over $30, and I will use the leather shirt and gauntlets to create a pattern to make leather armor and gauntlets out of the leather-like fabric we got at Joanne's on on of our stock up visits there these past few weeks. I am hoping to start work in earnest this coming weekend, but I have been testing some techniques and making some drawings/plans for some of the characters to get a sense of what materials I need to gather and/or things I need to fabricate to do them.

-M

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Second batch of raw materials arrived for the project, this time form Doc Mego...

a brawny body (with swivel biceps) will serve for Caramon's body, the kid body will be for Tasslehoff the Kender, and a 5 pack of bodies to use as I move forward. I also got the Thor helmet to kitbash with the black knight helm to make Caramon's helmet and a pair of knight boots. The purple ape suit was the free gift for an order over $30, and I will use the leather shirt and gauntlets to create a pattern to make leather armor and gauntlets out of the leather-like fabric we got at Joanne's on on of our stock up visits there these past few weeks. I am hoping to start work in earnest this coming weekend, but I have been testing some techniques and making some drawings/plans for some of the characters to get a sense of what materials I need to gather and/or things I need to fabricate to do them.

-M
    Since when does Doc Mego offer free gifts?

Your project sounds really exciting and looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.

I've ordered from Doc a few times in the past and any orders over $30 gets a free gift, I think he states it on his website somewhere, the purple soldier ape suit is a nice free gift pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap70 View Post
    Since when does Doc Mego offer free gifts?
    As tjacwave mentioned, any order over $30 gets a free gift. I didn't see that when I ordered, and was wondering why I got the ape suit, but when I went back to the site and was looking in the contact area I saw the note about orders over $30.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    Your project sounds really exciting and looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.
    This weekend I am going to start experimenting with some 2 part apoxy sculpt to try adding pointed ears to heads for elves and Kender. I got some cheap $1 mermaids from Dollar General that are Mego scale that I will use as case studies to see how it goes before trying it on the heads I want to use for Laurana, Tanis and Tasslehoff. Also need to do some experiments with tinting/coloring the facial area of a couple cheap heads gold to see how they come out before deciding how I want to do it for Raistlin. Then seeing if I can find an option to get his hair white without rerooting. Also need to experiment with some flocking vs. paint vs, laying hair to make Tanis' beard, so a lot of the initial work on this project is trial and error stuff on cheap fodder parts to see what results I can expect before working on the actual heads/parts I want to use. I am also doing some weapon/accessory fabrication experiments too to see how they will come out. Some with wooden dowels for the staves, some with sculpey, for things like the staff heads for Raistlin and Goldmoon, etc.

I will also be cutting up a bunch of cheap ($1.50 each) braided leather belts my wife and I bought at Goodwill to use as straps for packs, pouches, armor, etc. and once I we get the sewing machine set up, she will start sewing and teaching me to sew to make some of the capes, cloaks, robes, etc. from the fabric we bought the past few weeks. She showed me how to use the robes on the Sutekh figure from BBP's Dr. Who line to male a pattern we will use to make Raistlin's robes in red. And we have about 3-4 different armor making techniques ranging from metallic looking fabric to shaped fun foam to armor fabricated form foil liners/wrappers that we want to play with to see which results we like best.

so far my base figures will be as follows...

Jeannie (Mego 2018)->Goldmoon

Peg Bundy (Mego 2018) ->Tika Waylan

Kelly Garrett (Mego 2018)->Kitiara

CVTV female teen body + CVTV rooted blonde female head ->Laurana

Doc Mego kid body + head tbd ->Tasslehoff Burrfoot (I need a head with long rooted hair to make a topknot, I may use one of the dollar tree mermaid heads and use acetone to remove the feminine paint job and repaint it as a kender and sculpt some ears if I don't find a better candidate, not sure yet

Doc Mego buff body w/swivel biceps + CVTV barbarian king (Kull) head ->Caramon

Doc Mego standard body + CVTV barbarian warrior (Conan) w/brown hair head->Riverwind

CVTV yellow body + CVTV Puritan (Solomon Kane) head-> Raistlin (need to tint the head's facial features gold, repaint the eyes to get the hourglass pupils, and recolor the hair, reroot, or create a white wig for him.

what I am considering but am not sure of yet on base bodies

Major Nelson (Mego 2018)->Tanis Half Elven if I can change the hair to reddish brown, add a beard & pointed ears-hence the experiements with ways to get a beard this coming weekend)

Action Jackson (Mego 2018) ->Sturm Brightblade if I can add mustache and lengthen the hair (or reroot), The other option I am considering for Sturm, but I will have to order somewhere to do so, is to convert a CVTV Black Knight (which is not offered seperately only if I buy the knight set) or to get a Black Knight head from Doc Mego. If I do that, then ActionJackson will become the base figure for Verminaard.

I still haven't figured out how to do Flint Fireforge, dwarf yet.

I am waiting to take a look at the upcoming Gorn figure to see if I can use it as a base to make a Draconian too. I have some armature wire and material to make dragon-like wings to add to it, but I am not sure if it will look Draconic enough with it's snout/reptillian features, or if I will need to go a different route fora base figure for a Draconian.

I have some other stuff to figure out for some other characters too, but I have a good start for the core of the Heroes of the Lance.

-M

I will be watching this thread with MUCH interest, Dragonlance one of my favorite series of books. You mentioned you had begun re-reading the original DL Trilogy, if you aren't to far into it, I'd suggest picking up and reading the Annotated version if you can find it. Not sure if it's still in print. It has wonderful notes from the authors on almost every page. the really neat thing is seeing how slavish they were to the game sysytem in the first novel and once the book took off how they were able to back off on that and just let the story flow. more in the second and third.