Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anybody ever hear of Tales of the Unexpected ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Did anybody ever hear of Tales of the Unexpected ?

Been watching this Twilight Zone-ish series for free on tubi

An anthology of ghost stories adapted from well-known authors.

Did this series ever air in the United States ?

I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of it.

It's not terribly bad and has enough guest stars to put Tales From the Crypt to shame
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

Yes. It aired in the US in syndication (at least here in St. Louis) maybe around 1981 or so. I have distinct memories of specific episodes like "The Landlady." As I recall, it was more Alfred Hitchcock Presents than TZ.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes, and I agree on your genre comment. I watched it in syndication and now on you-tube. I think it's generally good and occasionally quite unsettling.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

There was a DC title with that name too.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

Yeah it was a very british thing, it was always quite late at night, and just remember the silhouette dancing girls with the music. I actually downloaded a few episodes here and there, some of them I remember were quite spooky and horrific. One thing I didnt realise was that they were written by Roald Dahl, who wrote a whole load of childrens books, which I remember reading myself. Im sure Uve heard of "James and the giant peach"

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Pretty sure all season are available on both Amazon Prime and Shudder. It's pretty hit and miss, but I've watched a good handful of them. Dahl also hosted an earlier Twilight Zone-ish show called Way Out.
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by knight errant00
              Yes. It aired in the US in syndication (at least here in St. Louis) maybe around 1981 or so. I have distinct memories of specific episodes like "The Landlady." As I recall, it was more Alfred Hitchcock Presents than TZ.
              Exactly. I remember watching the show when I was a teenager. Not all the episodes were scary, though. Two of the episodes I remember were previously done before on Alfred Hitchcock: Lamb to the Slaughter, and Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat. More ironic than scary.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

It aired here as "Roald Dahl's tales of the unexpected"

Anyone outside of Canada remember "Strange but true" hosted by Barry Morse? I watched one episode and Colin Baker was in it.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 28, 2013

I dont think I've watched it. Funny this type of show was brought up, as I was searching for "Tales from the Darkside" yesterday, and shows in that vein. I would like to check out Rod Serling' Night Gallery.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Night Gallery is on Hulu.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Watched it occasionally, many years ago. The one I remember best was the bee episode... Royal Jelly.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

I remember buying this paperback book, so I must've really liked the show at one time, but I haven't watched it in years. My local TV station aired a lot of import shows in the early 1980s during the 11pm to 1am block, and I spent many a late nite watching them all: Tales of the Unexpected, Prisoner: Cell Block H, and Benny Hill. This was before VCRs became a household item.
                        s-l1600.jpg
                        Last edited by RonnyG; Sep 4, '18, 9:07 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Was watching the one with Wojo from Barney Miller last night.

The episode was more dark humor funny than scary horror.

So far my least liked one was the one where the guy stays at the bed and breakfast and is eventually murdered and stuffed.

It was too much a ripoff of the Twilight Zone graveyard in space one

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎