Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy World post-TRU

I think retailers have all but given up trying to compete with online sales. If a Target store doesn't have Megos, for example, and you ask about them what are they going to tell you? Order them online! I don't feel good about the future of toys because despite collector-oriented lines that are out there the future of toys still depends on little Bobby or little Marcy urging their parents to buy them the toys they want and the kids don't want toys, they want their devices. If there was money in toys, there would be stuff on the pegs. For over 20 years if I went to any kind of retail store that sold toys, that would be the first place I'm heading as soon as I hit the door. Now I might eventually get there if I have the time or I may not even bother. And they pretty much have nothing I have interest in even if I get there. People like me get misty eyed thinking of our old Megos, our vintage Star Wars figures, etc while the adults of tomorrow will get misty eyed thinking of their now defunct devices they played with. Sad.

I recall reading that KB Toys might be opening seasonal popup stores for the holidays, but still haven't seen or heard anything as of yet. There were also rumors that TRU might return as a popup store for the holidays. Toy City popup stores have appeared recently in some states, but I haven't checked the permanent store locations for Party City to see if they stock the same merchandise as Toy City. It will be very important for any of these stores to have a variety of action figure lines such as Hasbro Marvel Legends, NECA, Mattel WWE, Mattel DC, Hasbro Star Wars, Jazzwares, McFarlane etc..

Quote Originally Posted by melstapler View Post
    I recall reading that KB Toys might be opening seasonal popup stores for the holidays, but still haven't seen or heard anything as of yet. There were also rumors that TRU might return as a popup store for the holidays. Toy City popup stores have appeared recently in some states, but I haven't checked the permanent store locations for Party City to see if they stock the same merchandise as Toy City. It will be very important for any of these stores to have a variety of action figure lines such as Hasbro Marvel Legends, NECA, Mattel WWE, Mattel DC, Hasbro Star Wars, Jazzwares, McFarlane etc..
    The TRU pop up is called Geoffrey's Toybox, is only in Kroger stores and their subsidiaries, and only stocks what were the generic store brand toys TRU carried, nothing from any other company. The one near here is 2 cheap cardboard fixtures full of generic babydolls, science toys, remote control toys, and plastic army men and dinosaurs. If you are expecting something that is a TRU revival, it's disappointing. It's more a way to liquidate all the generic stock at retail price rather than selling in bulk to some discount wholesaler.

-M