X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Spider-Woman Co-Creator Marie Severin Dies At Age 89

Marvel artist and colorist, Marie Severin, who started in comics for EC Comics in the 50s and co-created Spider-Woman in the 70s, has passed away.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

So sad. R.I.P.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Marie was one of the few women (Ramona Fradon is about the only one who comes to mind) who worked as an artist at the big companies during the Silver Age. That alone should be enough to remember her by, but she did fantastic work besides. RIP.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Historically, Marie was the most defining artist of the Hulk. Her design is the basis of everything we associate with the character. It wasn't until Byrne came along that we had a return to Kirby Hulk.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Marie was one of the few women (Ramona Fradon is about the only one who comes to mind) who worked as an artist at the big companies during the Silver Age. That alone should be enough to remember her by, but she did fantastic work besides. RIP.

Chris
          Yes!

I'd love for Fradon to have a cameo in the Aquaman film.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

So sad to hear this. Had the honor of meeting Marie Severin at the Legends Show in White Plains many years ago. Her work in the industry was literally groundbreaking in the mere fact that she was doing what the "boys" were doing when it was STRICTLY a boys club...and she did it better than some of the boys. Marie did everything from coloring to inking to penciling to layouts/prelims for Marvel. Still have never found out who was first as far as women breaking barriers in the comic book industry : Marie Severin or Ramona Fradon. It really shouldn't matter because both are great artists. One of the gems in my collection is the entire story/original art of a Fantastic Four. May favorite page of the 6 page story is the re-telling of the Fantastic Four's origin. Marie Penciled/Inked/Colored the entire 6 page story. RIP Marie.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow Berto! That's fantastic (pardon the pun)! Was this ever published?
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Sad news indeed. R.I.P.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Wow Berto! That's fantastic (pardon the pun)! Was this ever published?
                  Yes it was. I have the magazine somewhere in the house. It was one of the flip book type of magazines that I think had Spider-Man on one side and Fantastic Four on the other side I think. Got this off of ebay a while back and when I got it not only was it the original art signed by Marie...but it was also every page colored by Marie...and all of those were signed by her too.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎