Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if...1943's Batman serial was an A-list studio film?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Have you seen Cobb in Anna and the King of Siam? It's a layered performance, but he's glowering and imposing in a lot of it.

I would never have thought of Widmark, I was thinking of a dark Joker and a lighter Riddler. But now I can't think of anyone else.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 30, '18, 6:16 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
      learning all the time
      • Sep 15, 2010

I love these kind of threads.
      maybe someday technology can make things like this happen with "virtual" movies!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Have you seen Cobb in Anna and the King of Siam? It's a layered performance, but he's glowering and imposing in a lot of it.

I would never have thought of Widmark, I was thinking of a dark Joker and a lighter Riddler. But now I can't think of anyone else.
        I remember watching the movie called “Night and The City” thinking that he’d make a great Riddler. Actually, he reminded me of the Riddler in more than one of his early film noir. Gorshin also had a passing resemblance to Widmark.

I don’t think I’ve seen Lee Cobb in that movie, though I’ve heard of it. Maybe I’ve seen bits and pieces of it. Cobb is really good in Call Northside 777, not to mention Golden Boy, On The Waterfront and 12 Angry Men.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
          I remember watching the movie called “Night and The City” thinking that he’d make a great Riddler. Actually, he reminded me of the Riddler in more than one of his early film noir.- Ian
          Just saw Night and the City this year. And I'm sure most know him from Kiss of Death.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

And for Catwoman I’d go with Jean Tierney. She had the perfect look and could play nice and nasty equally well.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Karloff for Hugo Strange and Maurice Tillet and Rondo Hatton for his monster men.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Oh, and howabout Robert Blake for Robin? Little young at the time 10, but very active in movies.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Yes, good choice on Robin.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Blake, could be, he was always very energetic. (Or Blake could be Billy Batson, I always think of Billy as a little younger than Robin.)

To me, Karloff is Clayface I, but I certainly think he'd be a great Prof. Strange.

Tierney would be a good Catwoman. She was chilling in Leave Her to Heaven. That film is where I got the idea for Darryl Hickman as Robin.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

” I saw Night and the City this year. And I'm sure most know him from Kiss of Death.”

Oh yes, he’s terrific in that movie.

Gene Tierney would have made a terrific Catwoman. I hadn’t considered that.

- Ian
                      Last edited by EmergencyIan; Aug 31, '18, 8:23 AM.
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Dead on with a Gregory Peck as Batman!! I think Alex Ross used him as a model to great effect in Kingdom Come.
                        Peck was first cast as Batman (or at least Bruce Wayne) by David Mazzuchelli in Batman: Year One, and Ross ran with the ball.

Great lists folks! I can't think of anything to really add at this point. Some great suggestions!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes, I totally stole Peck, he seems so right.

Someone suggested in a DC comic I read decades ago that Robert Taylor was a model for Wayne. That doesn't appeal to me at all.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Bob Kane often mentioned a young Robert Wagner, but he was too young to be the model.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

That sounds like typical Kane revisionism, that can't possibly be accurate. And I'm guessing all the art was being ghosted by the time Wagner hit the scene in '50.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^I think he meant he saw Bruce as that TYPE in hindsight, but with Kane, who knows? He also claimed he spent time with a pre-Marilyn Monroe Norma Jean.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎