X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Question about UFO

Been getting back into UFO lately and rewatched 11 episodes so far.

Something is bugging me though, I had not noticed it the first time around.

The series is clearly set in England but all/most of the vehicles are left side steering.

They drive on the right side of the road as well.

I know in England some American bases have left steering-right road rules JUST ON THE BASE.

On top of everything else, the show was filmed in England where they have right side steering.

So what's up with the driving habits in UFO ?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

It's the "future" and they finally figured out how to do it correctly. jk
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

From the FAQ of the UFO Series Homepage (ufoseries.com):

In England, people drive on the left side of the road and steering wheels are on the right side of the vehicle. However, in UFO's version of 1980s England, both of these have been reversed. Although I am not aware of an official explanation for this, it seems likely that UFO's creators were simply going along with what was being predicted at the time, which was that England would switch their driving system sometime in the near future. It's interesting to note that other Anderson series like CAPTAIN SCARLET also show reversed driving in futuristic England, and that UFO's several flashbacks to 1970 shows normal English driving and cars.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I never noticed the driving in the series, and the differences in flash-back--interesting.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Sounds logical

Cool info !!!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎