X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

The Warriors

My Wife went off tonight to Dinner with a friend from work. She left me and my Martini on our own for the evening. Luckily, I found one of my all time favorite movies playing: The Warriors.

Got to see it in '79 at the theater. As a 13 year old, those Baseball Furies were pretty scary.

Joe Walsh's "In the City", to this day, is my favorite ending song to a movie. Gave me the chills tonight.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

In the City is so good. I watched that bit on youtube a few weeks ago, I put it on every once in awhile. (that and songs like Bandstand Boogie that was in Escape From New York) Music in movies really stick.

I watched The Warriors again not too long ago.

It's a very well made movie that holds my attention.

That fight in the restroom will always be awesome!

I sold my DVD of The Warriors, because they broke up every scene and inserted a comic image, it ruined the pacing. I'm happy it was on Netflix to watch, it played just like the videocassette version.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i have it on bluray, but yeah, it has the comic book thing going on. does not bother me much though. fun movie

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Love this movie, watch it at least once a year. Turned my daughter onto it.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Mezco will be making figures of The Warriors as part of their successful One:12 line...

Can't wait for them!

Comment

• ZMOQ
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jun 1, 2010

I was reading some Youtube comments on Cyrus' speech.

Someone posted: "So if Cyrus wanted a truce between the gangs on the Riffs network to control the city; does that mean that by killing Cyrus and ending the truce, Luther saved New York from being controlled by a giant gang?".

Hmmm... that made me think... does that make Luther the accidental hero of "The Warriors"? It's a little unclear about exactly how bad society had decayed in the movie. The trains still run, electricity works, they still have running water and working public bathrooms, stores are open, and people (even gangs) use money. The government and police are not portrayed as being particularly oppressive. So, for your average civilian (the prom couples, candy store girl, old lady riding the subway), life would become quite miserable if the gangs took over the city. Luther's crazy and chaotic action may have saved millions of people from living under the thumb of gangs.

As it turns out, because of Luther, the gangs never did unite, the Riffs went under the control of far less charismatic Masai, the Warriors earned respect, Luther got his just desserts and all of the civilians could sigh with relief and go back to their everyday lives, undisrupted by a gang takeover.
            Last edited by ZMOQ; Aug 31, '18, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• Klosterheim
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 23, 2013

Interesting outlook.

Maybe the gangs would have united, voted in city elections, and took control of New York from the inside.

Otherwise, they would need Edward Woodward as The Equalizer to come in and break up the gangs in one little area at a time. Ha!, Ha!

As far as The Warriors go, I feel that they were a small gang that was only in it for survival, not to control or commit major crimes against the citizens of the city and state.

Comment

• ZMOQ
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jun 1, 2010

Agree with you that The Warriors weren't in it for a city takeover. They scoffed at the idea, were falsely accused of murdering Cyrus, and just wanted to make it home in one piece.

The Cyrus speech didn't come off as a call for social justice, or voting. He pretty much wanted a united gang front to overwhelm the police by force and take over the city. It's a little interesting to think about audience perception. A lot of us were 17 when the movie came out, and even to this day, young people think it's kinda badass. The majority of us at MEGO Museum are in our 40's and 50's now.

Since the movie didn't show the system as particularly evil, and we've seen (IRL) what it's like in other countries when gangs and cartels take over towns, it's hard to sympathize with Cyrus' POV. We don't like to see innocent civilians get robbed or hurt by wild, poor and uncontrollable gangs.

The only way this movie would work in our eyes, at our age, would be if society (in the movie) had broken down enough so there were no police, and uniting the gangs would stop the random violence caused by all the different factions. It would need to show that they could provide some better alternative to the current, broken system, something that would make life better for Joe and Jane Average (as opposed to just enriching themselves). If the gangs could have offered that, then Cyrus would be a martyr and Luther would be the villain. But, since it does not, and we're now the "older generation", all of a sudden, it's a blessing that Luther shot Cyrus.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                  The name says it all!
                  • Dec 3, 2007

One of my top 10 favorite movies! I pull out the Blu-Ray every couple of years

Comment

• Remco Monster
                    GLOWS in the Dark!
                    • May 3, 2006

Bathroom brawl with The Punks is my all time favorite fight scene ever. One of my favorite films.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Yes, then killing Cyrus was a good thing for the people of New York. (If the city could have sent Cyrus to prison somehow, it would have avoided much of the conflict and The Warriors would not have had to fight their way home)

Perhaps the C.I.A. secretly set up Luther to assassinate Cyrus. In the halls of C.I.A. headquarters Luther is an honored hero.

I will think on this the next time I watch the movie.

One day the film might be re-envisioned and made to show New York in a state of total anarchy and the story will be reversed, becoming a tragedy when Cyrus is shot and killed, him being the one person who would have unified New York into some sense of order until a better way and legitimate system came along.

Comment

• melstapler
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Aug 2, 2014

Very excited for the upcoming Mezco figures. Wasn't clear if they're being sold separately or as a set, but either way I'll buy them.

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Awesome movie. Every time it's aired I'm there watching it
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎