X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Holly Hobbie Mania

Up until I wrote this blog post, I had no idea that Holly Hobbie is a real person. My entire world has been changed.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Really charming. I had no idea these existed--it looks like the line is riffing off of Strawberry Shortcake, but I though Holly Hobbie's popularity was earlier?

I have Carrie's kitchen bench (origin unknown) in my POTA treehouse. I need to ask Werewolf about these...
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm more used to seeing her profile without a face, as printed on artwork.

She was a real person? Real name? Can you tell us more?

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Long story short, Holly Hobbie is a writer and illustrator. She created the characters for American Greetings. The Knickerbocker dolls predate the Kenner Strawberry Shortcake doll by a few years. Holly and Strawberry are linked by American Greetings which owned both characters.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Was that her real name? Sorry if I'm annoying you when I could just google. I just like to have conversation about it.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Hobbie was her married name, Holly is her middle name.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

No way! It's a perfect confluence of 70s zeitgeist and nomenclature. That is really interesting. I don't recall ever seeing her face on the illustrations. They were always profiles, with the bonnet obscuring the details of her face.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                No way! It's a perfect confluence of 70s zeitgeist and nomenclature. That is really interesting. I don't recall ever seeing her face on the illustrations.
                Yeah, it was the artist's real name. Pretty Neat.

Holly's face was shown in the story books and greeting cards. Target actually has a set of retro Holly Hobbie Colorforms on their retro end caps right now.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

I have the little doll and playsets on the top of the page (sans the gazebo). The Carrie Hobbie set I've had since I was 10. The others I got in adult hood.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

I was in early grade school years when Holly Hobbie was a big deal. There was this girl in my classes whose name was Holly, unfortunately for her since we all thought it was such a hoot calling her Holly Hobbie all the time. Something tells me she wasn't/isn't a fan after that

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎