Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

The Batman The Never Was

• TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

Remember seeing this in the JC Penney catalogue and wanting it so bad! I thought the belt thing was sooo cool and it was just like the Super Powers figure I loved.

Comment

• Boris71
      GeekBot' For Life
      • May 13, 2007

they were released in the UK for the 89 Tim Burton Batman movie, I think they did bob the Goon a new Figure, the rest were re issues of the super powers line, as far as I remember it was the joker and the penguin, Pretty sure it was when toy biz had the dc license.
      Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Boris71
        they were released in the UK for the 89 Tim Burton Batman movie, I think they did bob the Goon a new Figure, the rest were re issues of the super powers line, as far as I remember it was the joker and the penguin, Pretty sure it was when toy biz had the dc license.
        It's a common misconception that the Toy Biz DC figures were reissues of the Super Powers figures. Although VERY similar they were in fact all new sculpts.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
          It's a common misconception that the Toy Biz DC figures were reissues of the Super Powers figures. Although VERY similar they were in fact all new sculpts.
          I thought it was the later figures that were original? The earlier ones had the look of being knocked-off, roughly copied. Riddler appears to be a modified Flash.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

I had the Toy Biz figures when they were new, it would have to be a really good deal to draw me back in. The bootlegs I'm more interested in.
            IMG_20180519_124051583.jpg

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I thought it was the later figures that were original? The earlier ones had the look of being knocked-off, roughly copied. Riddler appears to be a modified Flash.
              No, they were different right from the beginning. Here is a Super Powers (left) next to a Toy Biz. Note the vastly different torso, especially in the abs...less defined legs on the TB version. Even the construction was different. All the TB figures have metal knee joints and screws in their backs that hold the body halves together.

SP TB 1.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I see what you mean, it seems the torsos were resculpted to accommodate the different mechanisms. Most are stockier.

I was not a fan of the figures, but I have the Batcave.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

the Toybiz sculptors sure were copying the Kenner figures tho.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

^ That’s for sure! I examined the comparison picture and it makes me appreciate the finer details of the Kenner Super Powers that much more.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      ^ That’s for sure! I examined the comparison picture and it makes me appreciate the finer details of the Kenner Super Powers that much more.

- Ian
                      Actually, I think the Toy Biz sculpt is better...I know, blasphemy! But hear me out...the head sculpt is very blocky on the Super Powers. I think the Toy Biz has a slight resemblance to Christopher Reeve. Also, the Toy Biz abs/ribcage are more anatomically accurate, (he has a six pack and not a four pack) and also the cape fits better around his neck and isn't bunched up clear up to his ears like on the Super Powers.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        Actually, I think the Toy Biz sculpt is better...I know, blasphemy! But hear me out...the head sculpt is very blocky on the Super Powers. I think the Toy Biz has a slight resemblance to Christopher Reeve. Also, the Toy Biz abs/ribcage are more anatomically accurate, (he has a six pack and not a four pack) and also the cape fits better around his neck and isn't bunched up clear up to his ears like on the Super Powers.
                        Well, I can see your points. They’re good ones. However, the Kenner figures look better to my eye. I remember seeing the Toy Biz figures when they were in stores. I recall that my thought, at that time, was they looked very much like Super Powers, but cruder in appearance. That’s my take on them.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                          Well, I can see your points. They’re good ones. However, the Kenner figures look better to my eye. I remember seeing the Toy Biz figures when they were in stores. I recall that my thought, at that time, was they looked very much like Super Powers, but cruder in appearance. That’s my take on them.

- Ian
                          That's my feeling as well, and only reinforced by the later original characters. They're undoubtedy fun and colorful, though. Had I not just spent the '80s collecting Super Powers, I might have been more tolerant.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

^ I suspect I would have done the same. Then again, by that time, I was only browsing the toy depts just in case there was something mindblowing to be found. (I don’t think there ever was.)

I happen to have a Super Powers Superman, which I’ve had since childhood, standing around in my living room. I picked him up today, and was surprised at how small the Super Powers figures seem, now. When they came out, I recall thinking that they were relatively large since, for years, I had been playing with 3 3/4 inch figures.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Next to Mego WGSH, I think Super Powers is the best superhero line ever. Lord knows, the later waves were hard to find.

Regarding Toy Biz heroes, I love that Aquaman came with a seahorse, that they (albeit crudely) did a suited Ruby-Spears Luthor, that Riddler had a tiny sheaf of riddles, and the literalness of Two-Face's action feature. Charming.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎