Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mint Off Card: General Zod from Mego Corp.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Mint Off Card: General Zod from Mego Corp.

Time for another Mego Museum Mint off Card episode where we de-card (or in this case we unbox) a new Retro Figure and let you explore what's inside.

Our subject this week is the new DC Comics General Zod figure by mego Corp. Some folks are perplexed by the 14" scale and hey, it's new, that's totally understandable. In this episode, we'll explain why we're excited about these.

Agree or disagree? Let us know here or on our facebook page:

Don''t forget to subscribe to our channel:
    This channel is the hub for two websites- The Megomuseum (megomuseum.com) which features the web's leading archive of toys produced by Mego Corporation. Our archive includes vintage commercials, the history of Mego reviews and "Mint Off Card" toy unboxings featuring the latest action figures by Figures Toy Company, NECA and Mego Corporation. PlaidStallions.com- The online archive devoted to 1970s culture and toys including Top Five lists, vintage toy commercials, short films about vintage toys and episodes of "Pod Stallions' the popular podcast hosted by Jason Lenzi (@bbplenzi) and PS founder Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions) Please subscribe to us, we'd subscribe to you.

Look for a new Mint on Card every week, you can explore our past episodes here:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Your host for all of this Brian (@plaidstallions)

MUSIC "Kat and Tanner" by Twin Musicom: Kat and Tanner by Twin Musicom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...) Artist: http://www.twinmusicom.org/
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

Every time I watch one of these videos, that whistle song gets stuck in my head.

I don't mind these being 14" at all, and as long as the neck issue is fixed, I will definitely pick up the characters I like. And I think these are amazing for kids. If I was a parent, I would happily buy these for my kids. Far better value than any other figures on the shelf.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

Finally! I received my Zod and WW figures today! They are HUGE! My friends and I were all overwhelmed by the scale - but all of us love them! They are showstoppers for sure. Sooo excited and really happy with both of them!

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Zod really does look nice. I'm looking forward to Green Lantern and once the neck issue is fixed I'm waiting for a classic blue and grey Batman. I really hope they do a 14" Aquaman and Flash.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Remco Monster

I don't mind these being 14" at all, and as long as the neck issue is fixed, I will definitely pick up the characters I like.
          I would find a "fix" highly unlikely. I would assume wave two was in motion before wave one one to market, and how would the line look if the following figures were 1/4 inch shorter? The upper torso or head would need to loose the neck portion.

edit: I posted this before watching the video. Brian says that Doc says it WILL be corrected. But how? less neck on heads would make the most sense. But that would make the new figures shorter. Bigger head with less neck would make them the same height, but that would give us something akin to the 12 in Captain America from Mego. Retooled torso? But that would be cost prohibitive and may even require limb retooling.
          Last edited by Brue; Aug 25, '18, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• pickermall
            • Aug 12, 2018

Hmmm... Zod looks like the Roger Delgado Master from Doctor Who... Pertwee era... NICE!

Comment

• SWCWorld
              Museum Patron
              • Aug 10, 2011

Yes, as stated by Dr. Mego, the neck issue for wave 2 will be corrected; this is why I think in the Green Lantern teaser you don't see the top of the neck or head of the figure. Whichever way it is fixed (trimming neck from the torso or head), I'm sure it will look great! I'm really glad that Mego is back, and I, too, agree that the 14" figures will be "sleepers" of the series and catch on in popularity as more are released.... The remaining two waves should have some really cool figures to whet everyone's appetite. We know from statements and teasers that Green Lantern and Superman will be in wave 2, so it looks to be really nice. Can't wait.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brue
                I would find a "fix" highly unlikely. I would assume wave two was in motion before wave one one to market, and how would the line look if the following figures were 1/4 inch shorter? The upper torso or head would need to loose the neck portion.
                Actually from what I understand, the wave one heads were sculpted before the body was finalized which isn't the case for the wave 2 figures. We'll all find out I guess but I was told directly that it would be corrected.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Actually from what I understand, the wave one heads were sculpted before the body was finalized which isn't the case for the wave 2 figures. We'll all find out I guess but I was told directly that it would be corrected.
                  That makes it sound like the body isn't getting fixed, but rather the necks on the head sculpt.

I'm not a toy industry expert, but that seems to make more financial sense than "fixing" the body.

The 14" neck design actually reminds me of one of my all-time favorite toys, Bullet-Man. He was a favorite long after I lost his helmet too!

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by TRDouble

I'm not a toy industry expert, but that seems to make more financial sense than "fixing" the body.
                    Well yeah, you have to make more heads anyway, so you don't incur any extra cost.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                      To Fear is Not Logical...
                      • Feb 17, 2008

I never owned a 12" Mego as a kid. Collecting the 14" now, although we passed on Harley. I told my kids that holding onto the 14" figure as an adult lets me pretend I'm holding an 8" figure at a little kid scale.
                      It's all good!

Comment

• SWCWorld
                        Museum Patron
                        • Aug 10, 2011

Thinking about the upcoming figures, and noting that Batman's body is black due to the hands/gloves being black - I am wondering if the upcoming Green Lantern figure will have a white body due to his hands/gloves being white? Also wondering if they do the Joker in regards to the "standard" new 14" Mego male muscle body; wouldn't Mego design a thinner male body for a Joker?

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by SWCWorld
                          Thinking about the upcoming figures, and noting that Batman's body is black due to the hands/gloves being black - I am wondering if the upcoming Green Lantern figure will have a white body due to his hands/gloves being white? Also wondering if they do the Joker in regards to the "standard" new 14" Mego male muscle body; wouldn't Mego design a thinner male body for a Joker?
                          Clothes can make a world of difference in hiding the body, so I'd expect that Mego will use the same body as the other 14"ers, just with looser clothing. He won't be thin, but he would not be too buff looking either.

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                          I never owned a 12" Mego as a kid. Collecting the 14" now, although we passed on Harley. I told my kids that holding onto the 14" figure as an adult lets me pretend I'm holding an 8" figure at a little kid scale.
                          LOL! I never thought about it like that.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 29, 2007

In all honesty I like the 14" figures because I can remove their head and boots and make a 12" figure using a Mego 12" Muscular body. The head and boots look great (and in scale) in a 12" Mego body so I am happy to make a great looking figure with factory made items and in the more common (1:6) scale. I am so looking forward to more of these particularly on a Grey and Blue (Neil Adams) Batman version, a Neil Adams Dick Grayson Robin, a Green Lantern and a Flash.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎