Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Count_Popula
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 28, 2018

Hey all, thank you for the nice comments on the article. Like many of you, I’m a Mego kid from the beginning, so I pitched the story to AICN and I’m happy they embraced it so enthusiastically, making it a top story. I've always felt the Marty/Mego tale was a fascinating one, but not every news outlet gets it.

I wanted to add to a few of the comments made here. First, hedrap pointed out the thing about the Hulk’s height. That is very interesting. When Marty said it, I did take it as a joke, but I think there’s legitimacy to what hedrap has said ꟷ maybe the Hulk was always intended to be a “crouching” figure, explaining his apparent shortness. It could have been easier for the company to explain it away like that rather than produce one figure that was a head taller than the rest.

This leads me directly into the next point about Andre the Giant, which a few of you have commented on. I too took Marty’s statement to mean that an Andre figure is being considered, one that would be taller than the line he is a part of. This could mean that classic wrestlers or Princess Bride characters are being contemplated.

Lastly, following the publication of the article, I received a few emails, one of which was an interesting one from a fellow Houstonian who told me he was present at separate Toys ‘R’ Us events in the ‘70s ꟷ one with Nimoy, one with Shatner. He went on to describe them, saying that from his point of view, Shatner was the more engaged and friendly with the fans. Highly interesting stuff, as I’m always wanting to learn more about Mego’s live celebrity events. If anyone has similar stories or pics, please share. Marty states in the interview that he's trying to connect with Shatner; in time we will all see what that's about.

Thanks again and I look forward to being part of the discussions here! I already proudly own all the new Mego Trek figures. Love 'em!

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

^ Welcome and thanks for the great interview!

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 25, 2018

Welcome aboard.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

The video was very cool, brought back some memories and I loved the Tarzan swinging across with the jungle vine.

I enjoyed reading the Marty interview, it's was definitely interesting.

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Really happy to read this interview. Thanks

Here are some of my favourite parts of the interview:

"AICN: The first wave of new figures is out now and two more waves are coming. Will you keep it going for the foreseeable future?
            MA: I just came back from California, all the big studios. Their support has been extraordinary. We’ve picked up newer model licenses to put into this brand. We’re exclusive to Target through the end of this year, but we’ve opened up several accounts for next year and we’re expanding the brand as quickly as we can. I’m not going to prognosticate how good we’re going to be in 2024, but certainly over the next 20 months, we’ll be rolling out some of the great iconic characters, brands, people, ideas that have been lying dormant the last 25 – 30 years that are going to be repositioned in the market place."
            Last edited by comicmike; Sep 16, '18, 9:55 AM.

Comment

• Count_Popula
              Museum Super Collector
              • Aug 28, 2018

Hey all, I'm happy to say that I got to speak to Marty again, this time for the #1 Star Trek website in the world, exclusively about Mego's long relationship with Star Trek, past, present & future. The article probably won't appear until end of the month, to coincide with the official release of wave 2, but my fellow Trekkies out there will undoubtedly find some of the things he had to say interesting. I'll return to the forum after it's published to share the link, and comment on some of the things he said that will be edited out due to length.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Sounds like some awesome news is coming!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎