Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know if there were more WGSH figures planned in the 70s?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

^ I think what perpetuated the belief for Doom is the artwork Mego used for Iron Man didn't have the Iron Nose, so why did the figure?

As for the line continuation, I think we can directly blame the Ben Cooper "Action Figures" Jiggler's ad from the late 70's/early 80's as being the source of the Mandela Effect. That ad was written to read as if they were Mego's and had the head art for Red Skull and Strange (IIRC). I was dead convinced they were WGSH but never pulled the trigger on an order. It wasn't until Pali did his PS page that I put the two together.

I've tended to believe the chatter came from the Cartoon/Comics/Toys crossroads. For example, All-New was '77 while Challenge o/t Super Friends and FF were '78. If I was at HB, I would've pressed DC to get Marty to make GL and Flash. If I was Stan, I would've begged for a Doom and Loki. I have to believe Mego had artwork on hand for all these characters, but at the same time, it doesn't mean it went anywhere.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

I always thought it was weird that mego released teen titans Kid Flash, but not the Flash?
      the rest of the Titans had mentors.

Not to get off the subject of WGSH, I also heard that mego had 2 more Star Trek figures
      in the works but never released, I'm guessing it was Sulu and Chekov?

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by tjacwave50
        Not to get off the subject of WGSH, I also heard that mego had 2 more Star Trek figures
        in the works but never released, I'm guessing it was Sulu and Chekov?
        I know for certain they were planning a vehicle for Spock and a series of Comic Action sized playsets.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I've never understood the Teen Titans. I don't dislike them, but why them and not Flash, Green Lantern, other Superman foes? Convenient Lion Rock bodies aside, it's bizarre. And new Wondergirl tooling $$ (unless she was an existing Dawn/Pippa type)??
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
            I know for certain they were planning a vehicle for Spock and a series of Comic Action sized playsets.
            Hmmm...what other CA playsets were considered?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

It might have been the vehicle that's pictured on the back of the Mr. Spock museum card called the Vulcan Explorer,
              it was never produced.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I've never understood the Teen Titans. I don't dislike them, but why them and not Flash, Green Lantern, other Superman foes? Convenient Lion Rock bodies aside, it's bizarre. And new Wondergirl tooling $$ (unless she was an existing Dawn/Pippa type)??
                It was very strange that they went with Mr. Mxyzptlk instead of Lex Luthor for a Superman villain, it would have been better if Mxyzptlk was released on a Titans 6" body instead of the 8" body.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                  It might have been the vehicle that's pictured on the back of the Mr. Spock museum card called the Vulcan Explorer,
                  it was never produced.
                  There is no might of, that is the vehicle described to me by former Mego designer Vinnie Baiera that Robyn created the illustration of.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Hmmm...what other CA playsets were considered?
                    I don't know other than the Spider-Man Tower which went nowhere.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I asked Marty "why Titans" at the Meet. What was the answer, roughly? We had the Lion Rock bodies. That answered half the question.

The other half is "Why Titans and not X-Men" since Mego was in a full Marvel swing. The answer seems to be this...

"The Man Who Toppled the Titans": Two years ago, the members of the Teen Titans formally disbanded in order to pursue their individual careers. During the hiatus, Mr. Jupiter closed down his training program and [[Malcolm Duncan (New Eart Teen Titans #44 is an issue of the series Teen Titans (Volume 1) with a cover date of November, 1976. It was published on August 19, 1976. Two years ago, the members of the Teen Titans formally disbanded in order to pursue their individual careers. During the h

So...WGSH '76 figure sales were down. This is blamed on it being a Marvelcentric line without Spidey or Hulk. What did sell from '72-'76 are the core DC figures and by sheer koinkydink, Titans are revived in Nov '76 with Robin front and center. Mego, meanwhile, has Lion Rock scale bodies on hand and those are good enough to pass as "Teen" size. There was also no need to downsize Robin to 7-inch as most kids either already owned him or could buy the still available stock if needed.

WGSH Robin + New Comic = profit. Except, it didn't because WGSH DC sold thanks to Hanna-Barbera and Batman '66. Now if Titans had an HB cartoon in the style of Scooby or Speed Buggy...

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                        In the 1997 Toyfare #2 in an interview with John Bonavita he said Dr Doom was planned but he went a few cents over what Mego could spend on an 8” figure so Doom was cancelled. Mego retooled Doom’s head into Iron Man thus the nose. John said Mego would have used Knights armor for Doom and he would have been an elaborate Mego.
                        Yeah, on top of what everyone else mentioned, the timeline would also be wonky if this were true. So Dr. Doom was planned before Iron Man and if he wasn't cancelled he would be in a wave that didn't even include the FF (who didn't show up until the next wave)? No, that wouldn't make any sense.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

There is no might of, that is the vehicle described to me by former Mego designer Vinnie Baiera that Robyn created the illustration of.
                          Wow, I would have been buying that hands down if I had seen that at my local toy stores.
                          It looks like something that would have been not to difficult to make actually.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                            I asked Marty "why Titans" at the Meet. What was the answer, roughly? We had the Lion Rock bodies. That answered half the question.

The other half is "Why Titans and not X-Men" since Mego was in a full Marvel swing. The answer seems to be this...

"The Man Who Toppled the Titans": Two years ago, the members of the Teen Titans formally disbanded in order to pursue their individual careers. During the hiatus, Mr. Jupiter closed down his training program and [[Malcolm Duncan (New Eart Teen Titans #44 is an issue of the series Teen Titans (Volume 1) with a cover date of November, 1976. It was published on August 19, 1976. Two years ago, the members of the Teen Titans formally disbanded in order to pursue their individual careers. During the h

So...WGSH '76 figure sales were down. This is blamed on it being a Marvelcentric line without Spidey or Hulk. What did sell from '72-'76 are the core DC figures and by sheer koinkydink, Titans are revived in Nov '76 with Robin front and center. Mego, meanwhile, has Lion Rock scale bodies on hand and those are good enough to pass as "Teen" size. There was also no need to downsize Robin to 7-inch as most kids either already owned him or could buy the still available stock if needed.

WGSH Robin + New Comic = profit. Except, it didn't because WGSH DC sold thanks to Hanna-Barbera and Batman '66. Now if Titans had an HB cartoon in the style of Scooby or Speed Buggy...
                            The answer I've always got is DC wanted new figures and asked Mego to do the Titans. Sol Harrison's son Marty was Mego's art director after all.

The Titans were a dud for Mego.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know other than the Spider-Man Tower which went nowhere.
                              I like the idea of that. I can't tell you how many times I've wished the POTA Forbidden Zone had been reworked as a NYC Warehouse for 8" Spiderman.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                                Talkative Member
                                • May 11, 2013

I was never too sure about that auction with the unfinished heads to Megos but there was:

*Older Captain Marvel/Shazam head
                                *Captain Marvel Jr.
                                *Alfred E Newman
                                *New Batman Head

marvel family men.jpgprototype alfre e newman.jpgprototype BATMAN 1.jpg
                                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎