X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apositive
    Career Member
    • Apr 3, 2011

Head transplants of harder material on repro bodies

Hi. I'm trying to transplant a head from Doc Mego (very hard material) onto a Doc Mego space body(the goal is to have a custom Andorian security guard). It just occurred to me that I can't figure how to get the head in place. Any thoughts or tips are much appreciated. Thanks, John
    Last edited by Apositive; Aug 20, '18, 4:51 PM.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

What is the Doc Mego space body?

Comment

• Apositive
      Career Member
      • Apr 3, 2011

A repro Star trek body

Comment

• MegoMam
        • Dec 21, 2015

A couple of thoughts. Some of Docs bodys unscrew, it this body is one of them then try that first. If its not one of those (and I don't think the space ones are) then heat the body torso by setting it in really hot water. This will make it more pliable and depending on the neck plug they will often fit. Finally, you may have to sand/dremel the neck down to fit and work it in. If the heat is to lose after, then put a fish-eye screw in and loop some elastic through that and down to the pelvis post. Tighten as desired.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

By "very hard material", do you mean the head is an unpainted resin head? If so, you may need to trim the neckplug slightly (sand it, dremel it, etc.)
          If it is a vinyl head but just not very pliable, then dipping it in a mug of hot water will loosen the vinyl.
          In either case, using heat to soften the plastic on the torso... as MegoMam suggests... will also help.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The Emce/Doc Mego bodies will not soften in hot water. The material is too rigid. It isn't like the original bodies.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

You may have to carefully widen the hole for the head if heating doesn't work (and the Doc bodies are thick and solid, so I can see where it might not). Easiest way is to open a pair of scissors in the hole with some steady pressure and gently shave around until the hole widens. Just be very careful, do a little at a time, and check the head fit often so you don't widen it too much.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Hot water did not work for me in this process. Either widening the neck hole or reducing the neck plug did. You have to be patience and go slow. Too much force can crack the glued torso, and eventually the body can fall apart. Too much removal of material of hole or plug will result in the head being too loose and/or falling off.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Sounds like cracking the body apart and re-gluing would work best...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                    One eyed, wonder
                    • Dec 17, 2009

^I did this with many customs in the past. I unbanded, and took apart the body. Placed the torso in boiling water. Used needlenose plyers in reverse, popped the torso in half. Using superglue, I glued all points of contact. Placed painted resin head in place and rubberbanded the torso super tight and allowed to dry for a couple of days. I restrung the limbs with elastic cord, but you could also re-band them.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎