Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

That’s so nice and really a great thing to have initiated. You’re living right or doing your best to. That’s very admirable, Brian.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I love it.

There's a similar concept here--I think it's Amish/Mennonite, I went to school with a lot of Mennonite kids--where a similar booth is filled with dry goods and non-perishable foods. People can help themselves to things they need and add their own donations. It's like a little public pantry.

The Mennonite owners of our local hardware/farm supply have one in their parking lot.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Those are all over the place in Portland. There are several within blocks of where I live.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

That's really very cool. I live in a typical suburban Poltergeist family neighborhood though, so I can see the thing being vandalized more than utilized. But for the right neighborhood, I can see how it might be a way to transcend the geography that prevents social interaction.

Very nice!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, I live in the Bronx (though it’s considered a good section): they would steal all of the books and the library itself.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Great post, Brian. They've been popping up all over Pasadena. This one's my favorite; they styled it like their home.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                There doesn't appear to be a heck of a lot to do in your neighbourhood, so I think folks would embrace it.
                You ain't kidding, that's a good point. I guess one negative is that our street doesn't have sidewalks, which seem to be more conducive for people to do more casual strolling. But there are people walking/biking by regularly, along with the occasional folks on horseback, which shows that we are kind of in the sticks. But a small town also means more bored teenagers, which I would kind of worry about if I had one of these.

When I started I loaded it with books from my collection, nothing turned, then my mom donated some and they were gone. I realized that I don't live in an area where they want to read about the Sex Pistols...
                Yeah, I'd have to be careful for the exact same reason (not surprising considering we have many identical titles in our respective home libraries!)

Originally posted by J.B.
                Great post, Brian. They've been popping up all over Pasadena. This one's my favorite; they styled it like their home.

That is awesome!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I like the idea but where I am at my neighbors don't read, at least I do not see them reading. Maby I need to stay outside to see if the cows and goats read at night?
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡