X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Little Free Libraries

I just recently put one of these up in my neighbourhood and I have to tell you, it's been one of my happiest decisions made in a while.

During the last two years, I noticed my new neighbors were not that easy to talk to. I only knew three families and two of them, I introduced myself. I share a driveway with the other folks, so we see each other a lot.

A book I was reading taught me that the neighborhood was poorly designed for interaction, no benchs, hidden front porchs, no common green space and not even a trash can for dog poop (which is needed). The people weren't unfriendly but the landscape prevented interaction.

S,o I decided to see if adding this to the neighbourhood would bring about any sense of community and possibly even get to know folks a little more.

I'm happy to report that in one month, it's really taken off. I can't leave the house without meeting people and the feedback has been wonderful. I even got accolades from my local city council person (who I discovered lives on my street). Every day, the books change and pile up and people sometimes include nice notes.

Anybody else do this or have it on their street? It's fun!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Huh? How does something like that even work?

I mean, WHERE do people leave the books? Out on their lawns? I don't get it.

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

I thought it was a wonderful idea since I first saw one near Aaron's place a couple years ago, and I'll always support anything that encourages book reading. You built a really nice one, I'm happy you find it so rewarding (and I really enjoyed the book I borrowed myself! Gotta pass it along to Ed). I'm not sure if it would work by my place, my neighborhood is a bit "sparser" than yours. I dunno, you've been to my neighborhood, do you think it would fly there? (because I do have a crapload of books I could stock it with).

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by cjefferys
        I thought it was a wonderful idea since I first saw one near Aaron's place a couple years ago, and I'll always support anything that encourages book reading. You built a really nice one, I'm happy you find it so rewarding (and I really enjoyed the book I borrowed myself! Gotta pass it along to Ed). I'm not sure if it would work by my place, my neighborhood is a bit "sparser" than yours. I dunno, you've been to my neighborhood, do you think it would fly there? (because I do have a crapload of books I could stock it with).
        Again...WHERE do you put the books?

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72

It's a little slightly larger than mailbox sized "house" with a door filled with books that you build (you can buy kits like Brian did) and put on your lawn near the sidewalk, people can just borrow books or throw some in themselves. But it relies on some people in your neighborhood not being jerks.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

It's a little "house" with a door filled with books that you build (you can buy kits like Brian did) and put on your lawn near the sidewalk, people can just borrow books or throw some in themselves. But it relies on some people in your neighborhood not being jerks.
            Ah, I see...thank you.

Comment

• toothaction
              Career Member
              • Jul 15, 2017

Heart warmed. Thanks!
              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

No prob, you can see some pics here:

Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization with a mission to build community, inspire readers, and expand book access for all through a global network of volunteer-led Little Free Libraries.

They are a great idea.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72

You build a little shelter like this, sorry i forget that it's not that common a thing:

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Never heard of the idea before, but it sounds very cool!

https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

But it relies on some people in your neighborhood not being jerks.
                      Yes, that is the key.

My old neighbourhood was much chummier but I'd have never put it up there due to the high amount of vandalism on my street. It's one of the reasons I left.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Never heard of this before but it's a great idea!!! I'd like to give it a try as well. Thanks so much for posting this!

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I dunno, you've been to my neighborhood, do you think it would fly there? (because I do have a crapload of books I could stock it with).
                          There doesn't appear to be a heck of a lot to do in your neighbourhood, so I think folks would embrace it.

When I started I loaded it with books from my collection, nothing turned, then my mom donated some and they were gone. I realized that I don't live in an area where they want to read about the Sex Pistols...

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            You build a little shelter like this, sorry i forget that it's not that common a thing:

OK...now it all makes sense! LOL

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

I've seen a few these around me. Its pretty neat.
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎