X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Almost Victim of Craigslist Scam!

Ladies and Gents. I am currently in the middle of being scammed. I did not know about this but accepted payment and deposited the check. Luckily I found these articles and am taking steps to avoid the big loss. I post this here for your protection. Many of you probably already know about this but just in case I post it here:

The Craigslist cashiers check scam starts off with someone offering to pay for an item with a cashiers check, and ends in your money stolen!

Basically I was grossly over-paid for some merch. I was selling on Craigslist and th buyer said just give the change to the people who pick it up. Red flags and alarms were going off but I am desperate for cash so I deposited the check. My bank even inspected it and gave it the OK-which really ANGERS me!

Basically since the transaction is in progress I have to wait for the check to bounce and as long as I don't withdraw the funds or spend the money my total loss will only be $15 for a bounced check. But they nearly got me.
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

I can't believe people do these things. I posted some furniture for sale on Craigslist a month or two ago after I lost my job, and I had 6 different people contact me and try the same thing. "I'll send a big check, you pay the extra money to my deliveryman." I just told everyone it was Paypal, cash, or nothing. Don't feel bad. There are a lot of jerks out there who don't care about hurting other people, and Craigslist is so unregulated. It's the worst feeling though.

Comment

• johnmiic
      Adrift
      • Sep 6, 2002

Thank You Mary ^^^

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

I work in a bank and deal with this stuff more than you'd think. Bottom line, if you receive a check you didn't expect or a different amount, walk away.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

My desperation got the better of me. Greed too. A $15 dollar lesson is better than a $3,000.00 lesson.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
            Career Member
            • Nov 22, 2011

I don't even look for jobs on Craigslist anymore. Too many scams to risk it.
            "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

That sucks John

Cool you only got a mosquito bite rather than a grizzly bear chomp.

When I sell on Craiglist (which is very rarely) it's always cash and carry.

I don't even trust giving out my home address.

I always do a meet-up at a local diner

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

these same dirtbags like to prey on the elderly too. my elderly neighbor got taken for $700.00. another elderly friend got taken for $800. it's disgusting

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

I filed a complaint with the FBI Fraud Division. Lets see if they want to get involved.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
                    That sucks John

Cool you only got a mosquito bite rather than a grizzly bear chomp.

When I sell on Craiglist (which is very rarely) it's always cash and carry.

I don't even trust giving out my home address.

I always do a meet-up at a local diner
                    I have a better suggestion. I have seen a lot of First Amendment Audit videos. In a few, one guy covered a free trade zone established in PD parking lots where a camera will be pointing right at you. Find one and then insist that you will only exchange in person there. If they don't bail and run, they won't show up.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎