Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

I'll add my 2 cents for what its worth. I've stated before my brother and I run website businesses for a few bands and we moderate the messageboards there and a lot of similar stuff pops up every time the bands put out new product.

You have the classic trolls who seem just hell bent on tearing everything to shreds.
    You have the fans who are just disappointed by whatever and are never satisfied no matter what.
    You have people who truly intend to offer constructive criticism because they want to see the band succeed.
    You have just the typical happy fan who bought the album.
    You have the uber fans who are ecstatic at everything the band releases.
    And you have what I would call the reverse-troll who attacks any hint of negativity and praises things that rightfully could be criticized.

I would say the troll and reverse-troll are equally imbalanced and annoying. Unfortunately it's usually the squeaky wheel that gets the oil and so people who legitimately want things improved often will complain , like how the big head FTC issue played out. Or their brittle tightly strung bodies, you hope the company will listen to what the fans say and improve. If they don't, then fans vote with their wallet but by then in might be too late.

In the case of the new Mego my only complaint is character choices and license choices. Not sure they were the best flagship choices in my opinion, but then again they may have gotten what they could. My fear is that they put out 10,000 figures of characters that won't be bought by the general public and the small number of collectors which will result in the lines future being cut short. We've seen Mattel Retro Action, EMCE Marvel sets and the Toys R Us captain action die, so there is legitimate concern. I know our Target got in the Mego figures and had the isle end cap set up, they've been there for a few weeks now and I think based on the gold sticker numbers the only ones sold are the ones I bought. Hopefully the Christmas season will generate some sales.
    Last edited by jayraytee; Aug 20, '18, 1:46 PM.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• justzeg18
      Career Member
      • May 5, 2003

I just joined the ambassador page today... probably won’t be visiting it with any regularity.

Honestly, it’s the same as any other FB group and catches the attention of folks who seem to still have no idea how to interact with others on the internet (positively or negatively).

I almost feel like that group needs more direction/guidelines. “Help” people realize there was an intended purpose and focus for the ambassadors, and show them what that means, what would be expected, and what actions would actually help.
      Unless, of course, the ambassador page isn’t actually supposed to be an attempt at a type of street-team.

It reminds me of my long time working retail and noticing the customer sea-change around the holidays. I used to refer to them as people who don’t know how to be outside of their house.
      They were “well meaning” regular people who had no need to be at a specialty retailer besides one day a year, they literally didn’t/don’t know how to be a customer.
      Most were fine, and any employee with knowledge, experience, training, and patience could make that persons day.

Unfortunately a good 50% of them were almost aggressive in their ignorance.

After scrolling through a good several days of posts and responses, I got that same vibe from the group.

Positive or negative, many active commenters there don’t seem to grasp what they’re commenting on.

It’s a bummer.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Aside from a few people I blocked there its been a fairly enjoyable experience for me.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

I should add in fairness I have few people on my ignore lust here too hahaha.

Comment

• jayraytee
            Career Member
            • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by justzeg18

It reminds me of my long time working retail and noticing the customer sea-change around the holidays. I used to refer to them as people who don’t know how to be outside of their house.
            They were “well meaning” regular people who had no need to be at a specialty retailer besides one day a year, they literally didn’t/don’t know how to be a customer.
            Most were fine, and any employee with knowledge, experience, training, and patience could make that persons day.

Unfortunately a good 50% of them were almost aggressive in their ignorance.
            Yep. The traffic gets bad at the local mall and not only that but the 'I come to the mall once a year' people don't seem to know normal driving rules. It's like "Honey dust off the Buick it's Christmas shoppin' time, were goin' to the big city."

One thing thats difficult with the popularity of facebook I think is people join these groups who have never been forced to learn normal messageboard or chat etiquette.
            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by justzeg18

This reminds me of something a friend of mine told me, he runs a comic store here and has since 1981.

I paraphrase but he said "I think the weekly visit here to pick up their file is for a small amount of my customer base, their only social interaction and well, that's probably a good thing"
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by theSamurai
                No, you're wrong once again, and too many times to count, when trying to target anything and everything I seem to post upon. I was comparing my "experience" only, nothing else.

Not sure why I'm in your cross hairs, but dude, take a break ok?
                My bad. I missed this.

Anyway, take a pass on the veiled shots next time and then I won't respond.

Comment

• theSamurai
                  Banned
                  • Mar 27, 2017

Nothing was veiled about my "shot". I stated how poorly some behaved in a similar post I had made .. and it still continues even now.

Comment

• SWCWorld
                    Museum Patron
                    • Aug 10, 2011

It is somewhat depressing as to the continued negativity on the Ambassador page. I'm a member and I visit every day, and for the most part, content is highly critical of the new Mego figures; i.e.:
                    poorly made (I disagree - the new 8" figures have more heft and weight than vintage and seem to be well made and the clothing well done overall)
                    poor details (again, disagree...the sculpts are really nice, especially on the male figures)
                    poor licensing (if one reads the articles and statements by Marty and Paul, you'll note that Target has been driving some of the licensing; that is, what are deemed as potential good sellers, hot properties, and/or what Target things will sell well in their stores)

Plus, Paul has stated that the character selection of each wave will get better (intentional marketing)

An ambassador is one (as stated elsewhere on this forum) that supports through purchasing of product (for yourself and for others), for spreading the news about the product, and offering CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I think the best constructive criticism so far has been the extra long torso necks of the 14" male figures, and Paul has stated that has been fixed for the 2nd wave.

Some of the negativity has centered around certain licensing or lack thereof, especially the WGSH line in 8". If people would take time to read and search, they would understand that some licensing was not and is not available. Do I miss the 8" WGSH line? Sure, but I like the DC comic characters in 14" format and will support that because I like the product, I like Mego, and I want it to succeed. Some of the licensing comments lately on the FB page have me just shaking my head, such as serial killers (really? We're talking retail, people!), etc. Some people will never be satisfied, and that is just the way it is. The new Mego is like the old Mego in that it is RETAIL and not specialty or hobby stores; i.e. lower price points, licensing that is more mainstream (think of things that have the potential to sell well to the general public). I love that about MEGO!

Has Target dropped the ball in the initial roll-out? Sure, but now at least in every local Target in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) that I've visited in the past 7 days, all Targets have them. Plus, Mego is showing that they are responsive to positive feedback and constructive criticism. Marty is wanting this to succeed and Paul is wanting this to succeed, and I know most of us do, too! I think the 2nd wave roll-out (and successive rollouts thereafter) will be much smoother now that everything seems to be up and running on display in the stores.

By an extra figure or two; buy one (no kidding) as a baby shower gift, tell your friends that used to collect, spread the news on other chat boards. Be an ambassador!

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I think the key is to stick with the mission statement and not be distracted by the static. There's always going to be critics that want to be heard or want to try and derail the hard work and effort of others. I think if we remain on point and not give the detractors too much attention, over time they will find someplace else to go. The one thing a troll hates is to be ignored. So feed them silence.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by theSamurai
                        Nothing was veiled about my "shot". I stated how poorly some behaved in a similar post I had made .. and it still continues even now.
                        Oh, you're right. It's like how some people love being passive-aggressive so they couch language in vague generalities, thereby allowing them to disown any inferred intent.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

It's a wierd mix. I get the QC complaints and they should be aired out. As these are sold at the second biggest retailer, there's no room for error. Hasbro, Mattel, NECA, Funko...they're not having huge QC returns. And just what I've gotten to know of Doc over the years, he would want to know about these errs.

But...there's an element, like the personal shots at him and Marty, (I think Pali gets hit it with this too), that stems from a total intra-personal dialogue and we're never going to understand it as it's really not expressible. Every subculture has its people who don't actively participate in a group setting, but are totally immersed in it. The Godzilla/Toho/Kaiju American fanbase is my barometer for how inculcated a group can get.

When that culture is changed, the quiet ones will come out of nowhere. I'm sorta shocked two former Museum peeps aren't the ones slamming the FB pages the hardest. I'd bet they're taking this resurgence with gritted teeth.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap

But...there's an element, like the personal shots at him and Marty, (I think Pali gets hit it with this too), that stems from a total intra-personal dialogue and we're never going to understand it as it's really not expressible.
                            I've been sent numerous screenshots of people talking smack about me in FB groups and it's always a person I've never directly conversed with. It's the curse of taking action, even if you're attempting to do only positive things, there is always going to be somebody pooping on you.

There are a lot of reasons why people do this stuff and it's usually because they're unhappy with themselves.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by hedrap
                              When that culture is changed, the quiet ones will come out of nowhere. I'm sorta shocked two former Museum peeps aren't the ones slamming the FB pages the hardest. I'd bet they're taking this resurgence with gritted teeth.
                              Then again, they could be member using aliases. I’ve seen a lot of names most likely are not actual names. Some guy today with the last name of Snaggletooth was banned after he blasted Paul by saying that he messed up Batman and that Trump would have done a much better job with Mego. Talk about classic trolling!

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                                Then again, they could be member using aliases. I’ve seen a lot of names most likely are not actual names. Some guy today with the last name of Snaggletooth was banned after he blasted Paul by saying that he messed up Batman and that Trump would have done a much better job with Mego. Talk about classic trolling!

- Ian
                                Yeah, the fake name and the constant mentioning of Marty's indictment in 1981 had me realize this what the something awful forums call a "thread ****ter"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎