Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

My understanding is the Mego Ambassadors page is run by individuals directly associated with the Mego Corporation. Brian please correct me if I have stated that wrong. I have seen them remove comments that carry the wrong tone intended for this group. But from the time this page was created, I KNEW there would be a handful of trolls who would join this well intended group just to try and spoil the party. This hobby has it's share of people who get into conflicts for a myriad of reasons, but allot of it often comes down to a simple difference of opinion. Instead of agreeing to disagree, too many like to carry a grudge like its a badge of honor and they look for opportunities to inject their poison into this process.

But then you also have people who are well intending, that are not well versed at expressing everything tactfully, so some of it comes out sounding a bit unfiltered. Unfortunately those folks get lumped in with the trolls because people assume their intentions are not much better. However, there are also allot of good people on that page that are saying allot of positive things as well. We have people making mock advertisements, doing live spots when they visit Target stores, and showing off their new Megos in their collections or showing their kids playing with these new figures. I see allot of love.

I guess my point is we need to take a bit of personal ownership for how we see things as well as how we pass it on to others. If all we do is look for the negative and promote that, then we're hurting both the hobby and Mego's attempt to return to the marketplace. There are allot of good people on the Ambassadors page doing some really neat things right now to promote the Mego brand and advance that narrative. If you love the hobby and want to support Mego, I invite you to join this page to share in that love and avoid slowing down to stare at the fender benders along the way. There's nothing to see there.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

I've been saying it for a while now just not on the board but, I personally believe most negativity in our society has been due to social media. Everyone needs to get their opinions heard. They don't necessarily have any tact or politeness about it. People steer toward a negative opinion on just about every subject. It's very sad. I just ignore them and focus on the positives I see.
      Happy collecting to all of you. Just shake the haters off.
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I may be in a unique position as I'm forced to read the comments daily and definitely have a higher rate of exposure to it, so i can't schluff it off because I read some nasty, needless crap every day.

Also, people think we're Mego. So I get emails and DMs daily about the product, I answer some of it.

While the discourse is by and large positive or at the very least the complaints are civil, I can't abide for any reason or be apologetic for the truly toxic things I've encountered in the last few months. I mean, racial slurs? Why?

It's a toy company, making non-essential things and there is no excuse for going out of your way to be ignorant to one another, it's just stuff. I think some folks really need to grow up.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Remco Monster
          GLOWS in the Dark!
          • May 3, 2006

Yeash, well you are right, I don’t have to deal with that and I haven’t seen anything as horrible and ignorant as racial slurs, which I would not tolerate or shrug off either.

No way people are going to grow up, and people are worse than ever since that one reality TV guy, and it seems they ALL live for Facebook. UGH.

I have already blocked a few people in the Ambassador group and I am sure there will be more to come.
          Last edited by Remco Monster; Aug 17, '18, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

It's a weird time to be alive, people seem to have a tremendous, inexhaustible inventory of anger.

Creating pop culture used to be my ideal dream job, now i wouldn't go near it.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
              I think some folks really need to grow up.
              There's just some people out there that seem to be stuck in a state of twisted perpetual adolescence. They've long lost the innocence of childhood but have never gained the wisdom or maturity of adulthood.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                There's just some people out there that seem to be stuck in a state of twisted perpetual adolescence. They've long lost the innocence of childhood but have never gained the wisdom or maturity of adulthood.
                I think that's definitely true for some and they'll never change but I think the larger issue with most forms of social media is how hard it is to read context.

We all internalize things we read, so criticism can seem excessively whiney, praise too sycophantic and other comments seem filled with absolute rage.

Sprinkle in our need for a tribe and you get Complainers versus Butt Kissers, kill each other, roar! Like I said, weird times.

Not long ago, I was having a spirited debate with a friend online. During this conversation, we were also texting dinner plans to each other. Somebody PM'd me worrying that we were having a falling out.

It struck me as how I guess it did look like we were fighting to an observer but neither of us had any sort of emotional investment in the debate, it was actually healthy discussion. I found it really eye opening.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Mego Museum...home sweet home for me. Not a fan of the Facebook stuff...and I try like hell not to get into it with some of the stupidity that goes on. Too many speak from "non experience" and have no idea what a lot of "veterans" of the hobby have gone through. Especially Doc/Paul's experience. I have faith in Doc/Paul...because I know that this is what he has been striving for the better part of 20 years. Brain...I don't know how you do it and put up with the stuff you put up with on a daily basis. My sincerest apologies if I EVER gave you any guff on any of the forums that we've been a part of (Yahoo/Mego Museum etc)

It's a toy people. It's supposed to make you feel like a kid again. I don't know about anyone else...but the past month with waiting for the stuff to show up at the stores has been a blast. Buying a freakin' Jimi Hendrix Mego...c'mon, it doesn't get any better than that for me. Can't wait for Wave 2.

There's no place like home...Mego Museum

Comment

• Orlock
                    Megohead Superdad
                    • Feb 15, 2010

I'm active over there, and it is really unfortunate that it is really the state of mind of a few folks on modern social media that drive this negativity. It isn't that there are so many of them that act this way, or such a massive percentage that are hateful and just plain awful. It is the fact that they are the loudest, most rude, most active, and driven to bash, scream, yell, and post just to try and get a rise out of someone. Anyone. It's the squeaky wheel getting the kick. It's the troubled child getting all the attention while his good natured siblings are quiet and kind. It is the way of pretty much every social media outlet. Until all those are blocked and weeded out, it really is going to be a headache. I don't envy this work. I dealt with it around a decade ago when I was internet famous for a bit.

Try not to let it get to you man. To paraphrase from Muppets Take Manhattan: Peoples is peoples. Some peoples good. Some peoples not. Peoples is peoples.
                    My Art/Photography Page For Commissions
                    T-Shirts, Prints, and More for Sale
                    My Personal Facebook

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

It's a weird time to be alive, people seem to have a tremendous, inexhaustible inventory of anger.

Creating pop culture used to be my ideal dream job, now i wouldn't go near it.
                      How true that is. It didn't seem that long ago we were all contributing ideas for the "perfect" Mego Christmas catalog during the days when having ANY new Mego product would have been an insane dream come true. And how many of those DID come to pass? Quite a few with the rare exception of Star Wars. I need to pull out that old book and look it over. Had you told me at that moment where the industry would be in 2018 and that Mego itself would have returned, I'd be asking for a drink from the bottle you were sipping.

It STILL feels new to me. And I can STILL go downstairs and gaze at my BBP Flash Gordon and Ming figures and think, "Wow. It really happened." When FTC started putting out Superfriends and Batman '66 figures I was stunned. When Castaway made a Phantom figure with his own throne, I was blown away. And when Zica made Buck Rogers figures, I was floored at the detail and quality. Now I can drive down the street and see brand new Megos hanging on an end cap? WOW...

Perhaps the discontent comes from having too much today? I'm not sure. But the very idea we have a mountain of choices certainly defies any forward thinking most of us possessed ten years ago. Like you say, "Buy what you like," and wait for more to come. It's hard not to like those odds. A far cry from where we stood a decade ago.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Aug 17, '18, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Orlock

Try not to let it get to you man. To paraphrase from Muppets Take Manhattan: Peoples is peoples. Some peoples good. Some peoples not. Peoples is peoples.
                        Oh, I'm in a good place with it, I have the counter measure of operating PlaidStallions which has the benefit of people when they look back, largely agree with each other. Might be a lesson in there?

I actually feel some empathy to some of these folks, they must be carrying some heavy loads if action figures set them off.

Comment

• Mego Newbie14
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 25, 2018

I think no matter how much love something gets your always going to have a small group of people to complain about it. These are the same people who could win a million dollars and they'd complain that it's not a million point one. I'm starting to feel sad for people like that cause it seems like they can't find joy in life.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 4, 2011

I am a Mego Ambassador and I have to say, though there are a very small number of people that are not THRILLED with every figure from Wave 1 and that there are some legitimate issues, I think overall the feedback I have seen on the Mego Ambassador page has been tremendously positive and people are, for the most part, thrilled to be on the hunt for Mego figures at the store again.

There is some constructive criticism to be sure but I have seen very few posts in comparison where people are hating on the figures released. And those that do I feel are a serious minority in what I see as a massive crowd of very happy Mego-heads.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I think the larger issue with most forms of social media is how hard it is to read context.
                              I think some people just love to complain. They live for it. They were the kids that complained at Christmas because they didn't like the wrapping paper on their present from Santa even though they got exact gift they asked for.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                I think some people just love to complain. They live for it. They were the kids that complained at Christmas because they didn't like the wrapping paper on their present from Santa even though they got exact gift they asked for.
                                Oh sure, there is no escaping those that only scan the negative, they exist in every pocket of the world.

One of the things that helped me understand this better is a concept called "The Tetris Effect" in a nutshell, if your job is to spot mistakes (like say an accountant) 40 hours a week, it's sometimes really hard to shut that down in your regular life and it bleeds over.

I'm in marketing, it's a different struggle but i totally grasp how it effects me on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎