X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
    Some folks are a little bent out of shape over that swap. I've gotten several missives over social media with stuff like "THE BAND HAS NAMES!". I take it that some of the fans are slightly disenfranchised with the current direction of the brand?

I mean it's not FTC or Mego have any choice in that mantra, that comes right from KISS itself.
    Yeah, what the licensor wants the licensor gets. This naming on KISS merchandise has been SOP for years now, and Mego didn't have a choice. As a big Ace fan, I don't like it either but what can you do? If these look as nice as they appear to so far, I'll get them regardless.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I am not a KISS fan, but the history intrigued me.

Why didn’t they just have new names for the new guys, like Eric Carr, “The Fox?”

And what are the licensing issues with making The Fox?

Comment

• generic
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
        I am not a KISS fan, but the history intrigued me.

Why didn’t they just have new names for the new guys, like Eric Carr, “The Fox?”
        Excellent question! Many of the KISS fans who are opposed to the use of Ace and Peter's makeup want exactly that. I think what happened was after guitarist Vinnie Vincent "The Wizard" became the 6th character of KISS, Gene claimed it was getting kind of silly having all of these new characters. The 1980s had hit and the band decided to "unmask" (I would say "take off the makeup" but they were wearing just as much makeup in the glam days -Haha!) When they reunited with Ace and Peter in the 1990s, they were going with the whole nostalgia thing and put the costumes back on. Now I guess they feel like the original 4 characters are "KISS" so whoever is in the band will be The Spaceman and The Catman.

Originally posted by TRDouble
        And what are the licensing issues with making The Fox?
        I'm curious about that myself. McFarlane did a series of KISS figures with The Fox, so I would imagine that KISS owns the license for that character.
        Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks, generic! One follow-up question...

Who owns the make-up designs for the Spaceman and The Cat? I thought I read that Ace owned his.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Both Ace and Peter sold their makeup designs to Kiss years ago. I don't think they own the Fox makeup however. If you notice, the McFarlane figure doesn't have his iconic makeup, it has the makeup from the People magazine photo shoot.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

I'd take just about any version of the fox or the wiz.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

I would guess that KISS has some mainstream appeal, in that, there are people who might buy the occasional KISS merch but have no idea there's more than 4 members or can name anyone outside of Gene and possibly Paul. So for KISS, it makes more sense to have people dress like the other two. Because there are probably people who would be disappointed that they went to see KISS or bought some sort of KISS merch and there were some weird guys on there in different makeup that they didn't recognize. So from a business standpoint, it makes sense that they always look, largely the same.

It's like the 3 Stooges. Ask 99% of the population who the 3 Stooges are. You'll get Larry, Curly and Moe. Nobody ever brings up Joe Besser (and for good reason) but Besser was in an incarnation of the 3 Stooges.

Sometimes for a "brand" you've got to go with the most recognizable incarnation, even if the original people playing those parts are gone. Especially if you're Gene Simmons and notoriously a shyster.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  Both Ace and Peter sold their makeup designs to Kiss years ago. I don't think they own the Fox makeup however. If you notice, the McFarlane figure doesn't have his iconic makeup, it has the makeup from the People magazine photo shoot.
                  Ace said at the expo this year that he leases the makeup design to KISS.
                  Pretty sure the whole, dropping-band-member-names is because they are marketing the brand, not the people. It's the four original iconic faces, the personas.
                  That's what they are selling.
                  And of course, cuts Peter and Ace out of some extra royalties I'm sure.

Comment

• wise guy
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 29, 2014

Not a Kiss fan either but if I see them at Target (15 bucks each) I will pick them up.
                    It's too good a deal to turn down.I wonder if Mego is picking other stuff that FTC
                    had done like Munsters or Space 1999 ?

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks for all of the responses,

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I think Gene and Paul also know that they cannot continue indefinitely and so just using the names, they can also eventually step down and license it to other people to perform

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

^ My understanding is that Paul is not on speaking terms, right now, with Gene or the other guys. For now, at least, KISS, as a active band, is no more. I saw video of Gene performing small shows with Ace earlier this year. He also had Peter appear at one if his solo shows in Manhattan. I’m not sure why they’re all on the outs with Paul, but they are. I’m supposing nothing has changed very recently.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by noelani72
                            Ace said at the expo this year that he leases the makeup design to KISS.
                            Pretty sure the whole, dropping-band-member-names is because they are marketing the brand, not the people. It's the four original iconic faces, the personas.
                            That's what they are selling.
                            And of course, cuts Peter and Ace out of some extra royalties I'm sure.
                            He's claimed that, but it doesn't seem to actually be the case.

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                              He's claimed that, but it doesn't seem to actually be the case.
                              lol, ohhh really? That is interesting. Heck, if I re-watched all the expo videos, I'd probably find the blurb where he said it.
                              I thought for years that he sold the rights to KISS, so I was surprised when he said it to the crowd.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Arrgggg, double post when it didn't seem like the first one went thru!!!
                                Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Aug 18, '18, 2:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎