X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

cleaning used blister to "like new" condition for re-use

Does anybody know of a way to clean off the litho from a used Mego blister, and shine it up like new, to re-use on a custom card? I don't think acetone soaking the cardboard will make it release from the blister. I do think the plastic fogs up where touched by acetone. I really want some custom Mego packages with the new blisters Mego is using. Maybe they could be carefully sanded until the litho is gone, and then buffed until shiny again? What do you think? Can it be done and look factory sealed, perfect condition?
  • KOMonger
    Banned
    • Feb 17, 2015

Do you have lighter fluid handy? I've successfully removed old tape residue from cardbacks with it. I used it to "clean" it's old dis-colored, cracked blister, too. Because the blister remained dis-colored, I can't tell you with %100 certainty that it won't cause fogging.
    I would give it a test along the edges before trying the main window portion.

Edit: Model kit builders use nail polishing buffs for shining their pieces after sanding. They come in different grades. In some sets of these the final one to use can just be called "polisher", other times it actually has a grit.

Sorry, another Edit: I forgot to mention, I used paper towel with the lighter fluid. Some paper towels are rough enough to scratch, even when wet! Make sure to use a soft one.
    Last edited by KOMonger; Aug 15, '18, 4:48 PM.

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

Man, great suggestion on taking off the old tape residue. Very helpful!

If it is also helpful, on July 16, Blue Meanie reported he had good results with 99% isopropyl alcohol on bubbles. I tested it on a section of one of my older removed Mego bubble, and it actually worked for me too (without fogging).

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...ns-from-Bubble
      Last edited by comicmike; Aug 15, '18, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

What I want to clean off, is the paper stuck to the blister after being removed from the card. I'm not sure what is adhering the blister to the cards. I do know they heat seal them.

Comment

• greensavage2000
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 9, 2013

I used to use Bestine, which is a thinner for rubber cement, to remove stickers. I'd pour some in the lid and use a q-tip to apply it. When it got good and wet the sticker would just come off. While wet I would rub with a napkin to remove the residue. If the problem is a glue this might work. This never damaged the package for me is another plus.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think that there is any glue to dissolve on it. I've tried solvents with no luck.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

I take it that it is not a water based glue?

Comment

• KOMonger
                Banned
                • Feb 17, 2015

It sounds like epoxy. Sandpaper or a file will be the only options left. Finish it off with the buffing method.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

I tried heating the card from the back, and it seemed to release whatever is holding it to the card, but it also severely warped the bubble plastic to get it that hot. So that was a total fail. I'm going to try a long soak in isopropyl alcohol. Short soak failed.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 9, 2013

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress. Just knowing what didn't work is still useful knowledge. If I have a bright idea I'll certainly post it.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I think acetone is the only option that I can find.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Acetone is super effective at getting rid of both adhesives and even old acrylic paint (I recently used some to strip a ceramic piece back down to 95% paint free) however, and this is a big however, yeah it will fog the heck out of clear plastic and, in some of my attempts, depending on how sturdy the plastic it, I’ve seen the acetone warp and distort the stuff. Have to tried a bath in white vinegar cut about half and half with denatured alcohol? It seems to work pretty well and, from the times I’ve used it, hasn’t left behind any unwanted fogging or warping…
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎