• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capt_Kirk
    Career Member
    • Nov 22, 2011

classic mego repair question

*****splitting boots*****
    I have a pair of Klingon boots that are cracking "separating at the seam of the boots". What is the most effective way to repair these so it's not noticeable? They look great other than this so, I don't want a unsightly glue trail on them and I would like them to be durable as well.
    Should I just buy other boots?

*****elastic*****
    I have Trek and Klingon pants that are loose in the waist. It appears the elastic has stretched out. Best practice to fix this issue?

*****holes in clothes*****
    Small holes in clothing. I'm not an avid sewer. Should I just sew these as best as possible to hide the small holes or is there a good technique that works best?

thanks in advance for your advice.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

Re: *boots:
    I use "Maxi-Cure" in 'extra thick' for easier control of the glue. I've had mostly good results with this glues on split Mego boots. Please don't inhale it or get it near your eyes:The fumes are burn-your-eyes evil, but the glue works on polyurethane, like Bat-vehicles.

You may also try Shoe Goo II: Thin amounts and tidy up any extra edging with Q-tips & acetone. The glue is more flexible because it dries like clear rubber. You could also try to use it in

*broken Mego elastics (this stuff works!).
    Mego is now using stretching black washer-type elastics. Doc Mego sells the replacement ones in his site.

*Re: clothes holes: from the inside of the costume, I quickly repair my bigger rips & holes with (minimally stretchable) vinyl iron-ons from sewing stores. For smaller holes, I build up thin layers of clear double-sided iron on adhesive sheets, trimmed to size. I like the clear adhesive sheets because they do not seem to yellow over time, but about 3 layers are more helpful so the smaller hole doesn't rip again. I used this on my Star Trek Talos costume holes. An initial small stitch or two can be helpful, whether it is just basting that you remove later, or carefully add it with same-matched colored thread. I have fixed full runs, or tiny holes with either iron-on material; but I find one better for the bigger ones, and the other ideal for the smaller ones.
    Last edited by comicmike; Aug 15, '18, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

Great! thank you so much. I will give all these a try.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I think you meant the elastic waistband of the pants not the internal body elastic right? I would recommend sewing new elastic cord to the old elastic cord.. Basic whip stitch should take care of that.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
          Career Member
          • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
          I think you meant the elastic waistband of the pants not the internal body elastic right? I would recommend sewing new elastic cord to the old elastic cord.. Basic whip stitch should take care of that.
          I was talking about the waistband. Thanks SO much! You all are SO helpful. I love you guys!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎