Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novice questions about altering a "Thor" or viking helmet and other custom matters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Novice questions about altering a "Thor" or viking helmet and other custom matters

Ok, so I am pretty much a complete novice when it comes to customizing figures. It's something I've wanted to try but have never taken the plunge before. One of the custom projects I have wanted to do is to create customs of the Heroes of the Lance from Dragonlance, a D&D campaign setting and series of novels (and a pretty poor animated feature).

One of the first I want to try to do is a warrior named Caramon. He has a pretty distinctive helmet as seen in the picture below. (he's the figure on the left)

In basic shape and form, his helmet resembles the viking helmet (a.k.a. Thor helmet) I see available at Dr. Mego repros, but instead of avian (feathered) wings, it has more reptilian/dragon style wings) and I was wondering of there was a way to modify the wings on the Viking helmet to make them look more like dragon wings to use for this custom.

The mage on the right is Caramon's twin brother Raistlin, and I hope to use the Puritan (Solomon Kane) head for Raistlin and the Barbarian King (Kull) head from CVTV site (with a yellow body for Raistlin to emulate his golden skin, I just need to figure out how to paint/tint the Purtian head gold and get the hair white (questions for a later time as I plan on doing Caramon first).

the only thing close to a Mego custom I have found for the Dragonlance characters was this version of Raistlin (and the Kender Tasslehoff) from later in Raistlin's life when he switched to black robes)

done using the Toy Biz 12 inch LOTR Aragorn figure as a base found here: http://www.toymania.com/customcorner...nlance_r.shtml

everything else has been done with 6 inch action figures with painted costumes not cloth.

As I said, I am a complete novice when it comes to customizing figures, but my wife and I have painted and modded metal and plastic miniatures (from Grenadier, Ral Partha, TSR, Citadel, Reaper, etc. etc.) in the 25 mm and 35 mm scales since the early 80s, so I have a wide variety of tools, paints, modelling clays, etc. I can use, I just don't know how well they will work with the materials the Mego and ReMego figures are made of, and the clothing and accessory aspect of it all is all new to us (she has her own custom projects in mind but wants to work in the 12 inch scale not 8 inch).

I am just starting out, and haven't pulled the trigger on buying the pieces and parts just yet, I want to wait until I have an idea of the techniques I will need to use and if my ideas are feasible before buying in. We're going on vacation the week before Labor Day, and if I can get a sense there is a way for me to accomplish this, I will likely start ordering the bodies, heads, parts, etc. when we get back. I have picked up some of the new Megos that I will use as base bodies/heads for some of the other characters (Action Jackson could make a good Sturm Brightblade if I can add his distinctive moustache, Peg Bundy will make a good base for Tika (the redhead in the middle of the first pic I posted), and either Piper or Kelly Garrett will be the base for Kitiara (though Piper's spellbook is already earmarked for the Raistlin figure as an accessory).

I have an idea how to make some of the chain mail shirts and shields I need using materials I already have at the house, though I will need to do a little trial and error. but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on modifying that helm (and possibly making the hair white and skin gold for the Raistlin custom). Any input would be appreciated.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I would suggest using a DM or DST/Emce Thor helmet, removing the wings and replacing them with bat wings from the Mego/CTVT Black knight helmet. You can add other details with sheet styrene and then repaint gold.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I would suggest using a DM or DST/Emce Thor helmet, removing the wings and replacing them with bat wings from the Mego/CTVT Black knight helmet. You can add other details with sheet styrene and then repaint gold.
      Thanks! Sounds like a workable plan.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

You're welcome, glad I could help. I nabbed an extra Thor helmet as a base for Fawcett's King Kull's helmet.

I think you will be able to do very nice Dragonlance figures as you describe from reMego parts.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

For Raistlin...if you really need long rooted white hair u should check out the ctvt creature head based on the space 1999 alien. Gold paint on a Roto cast head is tricky. A lot of paints will simply not work on the vinyl heads. I have heard at automotive interior trim paint for vinyl works well. Gold might be available.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Sturm I would recommend the wild bill hickock or Wyatt Earp head. The dwarf maybe Blackbeard if you can find him. One of the One Million BC cavemen would be awesome for him too. Come to think of it..there is a paco pirate that would work for the dwarf too...hmmmm

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm using OMBC Grok for King Kull.

Comment

• TomStrong
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2011

Can’t wait to see this finished! I remember reading A LOT of those novels.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                  For Raistlin...if you really need long rooted white hair u should check out the ctvt creature head based on the space 1999 alien. Gold paint on a Roto cast head is tricky. A lot of paints will simply not work on the vinyl heads. I have heard at automotive interior trim paint for vinyl works well. Gold might be available.
                  Is that the Raan figure? I see the figure on the CVTV site, but I am not finding just the head available...but it is not the most intuitive site to navigate through if you aren't intimately familiar with everything altogether.

-M

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                    Sturm I would recommend the wild bill hickock or Wyatt Earp head. The dwarf maybe Blackbeard if you can find him. One of the One Million BC cavemen would be awesome for him too. Come to think of it..there is a paco pirate that would work for the dwarf too...hmmmm
                    I am not even sure what type of body to use for Flint (the dwarf) or for Tas (the Kender). I intend to use the teen bodies for the elves (Gilthanas and Lauran) when I get around to them, as elves are slightly smaller and slighter than typical humans, but I am not sure what type of body would work for figures the size of a dwarf or kender in the 8 inch scale.

I am also pondering options to use to vary the body type for Caramon (much bulkier) and Riverwind (much taller). I'd consider the muscular body for Caramon, but the clenched fists don't work and I am not sure how I would go about swapping out those for hands that can hold weapons with that construction.

But again, I am new to this and I don't want to get ahead of myself or bite off more than I can chew and get frustrated, so I am taking it slow and only focusing on 1 or 2 figures at a time. I am mostly just gathering info and ideas right now, but will probably start on the first figure when I get back from vacation after Labor Day.

-M

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

What about a child/Our Gang body? That's what I've always considered for characters like Dr. Psycho, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and Bat-Mite, if Mego-style.

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        What about a child/Our Gang body? That's what I've always considered for characters like Dr. Psycho, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and Bat-Mite, if Mego-style.
                        That could work. Is there a ReMego equivalent or would I have to hunt down a vintage body (or bodies)?

-M

PS I ask because I prefer not to do any business with ebay, so anything I am looking for I would need to find int he wold or arrange to get form someone who has it directly.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 9, 2013

Doc Mego sales them on his site. I often toy with the notion of a custom Superboy.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 12, 2014

How about a Lion Rock body for your smaller people.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by greensavage2000
                              Doc Mego sales them on his site. I often toy with the notion of a custom Superboy.
                              Yes, DM offers a repro child body. It's in a paler skin tone, I believe it was used for BBP's Rusty Venture.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎