X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Charlie's Angels Kelly Garrett Mego Makeover

I did this makeover with a photo editor. I thinned her eyebrows, thinned her eyeliner, add lashes, added blush, changed lip color, darkened eyes. Now, I'm thinking about doing this on the actual figure. I just want to make simple changes. I don't want to wipe the "slate" clean. I've never customized a doll's face before. Looking for suggestions. What is the best type of paint to use? I already have a bunch of acrylic paint on hand from another project. Will that be sufficient?
    makeover.jpg
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

That's about as close as it's going to get without the classic Jaclyn Smith restrained expression, which your comparison photos show...or any pic of her, actually. Doesn't matter the decade.

On second look, I wonder if the head would be closer to Fawcett if it was blonde.

Comment

• Mary Canary
      Career Member
      • Jun 21, 2017

When I do face ups on dolls, I just use the cheap acrylic paints you can get at a craft store.
      I like them because they come in a zillion colors and they are super runny, but you'll probably still want to add water to get the right consistency or it will be goopy.
      Also get the smallest paintbrush you can - like, the kind that has three hairs, ha!
      And get a sealer. You can get it in the same aisle as the craft paints and it's usually available in satin, glossy, or flat, depending on the look you want.

You can use nail polish remover to take off the existing face paint, but be super careful with it or you might end up taking off more than you want.
      For example, you could probably put a dab on the paint brush or a q-tip to thin and shape the eyebrows.
      I like to do this if I want to leave some factory paint intact - looks more "professional" that way.
      It's like erasing the paint, but like I said, go slow and don't over-do it - 'cause once you do too much, you're going to be mad at yourself.
      You might even want to find a secondhand Barbie or some other doll to practice on, so you can get an idea before you work on the real girl.
      Remove whatever paint you want - for this doll, I think the eyebrows are the only thing you really need to take down, and again, I'd just shape them and leave the factory paint for everything else.
      You can paint right over the lips and eyes, using the black outlines to mark where you want the paint to stop when you darken the eyes.
      And if you want to change her lips, you could even try painting a little bit outside the existing lip line to give her fuller lips.
      Also, since she has that awkward open mouth, you might consider painting the teeth white.

For blush, you can use paint or pastels. Same thing as before - do a little at a time.
      If you use paint, really take it down so it's practically colored water.
      If you use pastels, they'll probably stain the face nicely but you won't be able to remove it if you dork it up.
      With the acrylic paint, you can wipe it off and do it over if you mess up.
      As long as you don't seal it, you can do it over and over and over until you get it the way you like.
      Once you have the face the way you want, seal the lips and eyes by painting precisely over the paint you applied after it dries.
      You can also mix a little sealer into your paint if you want, but I think if you aren't as practiced at this you'll probably be wiping off her face a couple of times before you get it just right.
      So I'd save the sealer for last.
      You shouldn't have to seal the blush as long as you don't plan on taking her in the bath tub.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
      I plan to do the same with mine!
      And then I have to figure out how to get that hairstyle...

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Those are great tips! Thanks! I have a bunch of acrylics paints. Now I need to buy a very small paintbush.
        I might wait to see what Kris and Sabrina look like before I do the makeover.
        Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 14, '18, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Mary Canary
          Career Member
          • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by RonnyG
          Those are great tips! Thanks! I have a bunch of acrylics paints. Now I need to buy a very small paintbush.
          I might wait to see what Kris and Sabrina look like before I do the makeover.
          Happy to help! Let me know how it goes when you take the plunge!
          Like I said, you might want to practice on a couple of old Barbies if you have never done face ups.
          The other thing I thought about doing is swapping heads with the Charmed girl, cause I think she looks pretty good as is for Kelly... so that is also an option.

I can't wait to see how Sabrina and Kris look.
          Anyone have any idea when Wave 2 is supposed to be revealed?

Also, are the Hasbro dolls smaller or larger than the Megos? I always forget.
          I wonder if a head swap with the old dolls is even possible or if it would be too outta wack...

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

I heard wave 2 is supposed to come sometime in October.

The Hasbro dolls are larger than Megos. About an inch taller.
            Someone already tried head swapping. Here's the link: http://megomuseum.com/community/show...lie%27s+angels
            The old Hasbro dolls are quite bountiful on ebay. You can find used, loose figures in various conditions quite cheap for under $10 bucks.

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

Someone already tried head swapping. Here's the link: http://megomuseum.com/community/show...lie%27s+angels
              The old Hasbro dolls are quite bountiful on ebay. You can find used, loose figures in various conditions quite cheap for under $10 bucks.
              Yeah, I guess the head swap doesn't really work... Oh well, I think the new head can work fine, just needs some touchup. And getting the hair styled will make a big difference too.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                Career Member
                • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                When I do face ups on dolls, I just use the cheap acrylic paints you can get at a craft store.
                I like them because they come in a zillion colors and they are super runny, but you'll probably still want to add water to get the right consistency or it will be goopy.
                Also get the smallest paintbrush you can - like, the kind that has three hairs, ha!
                And get a sealer. You can get it in the same aisle as the craft paints and it's usually available in satin, glossy, or flat, depending on the look you want.

You can use nail polish remover to take off the existing face paint, but be super careful with it or you might end up taking off more than you want.
                For example, you could probably put a dab on the paint brush or a q-tip to thin and shape the eyebrows.
                I like to do this if I want to leave some factory paint intact - looks more "professional" that way.
                It's like erasing the paint, but like I said, go slow and don't over-do it - 'cause once you do too much, you're going to be mad at yourself.
                You might even want to find a secondhand Barbie or some other doll to practice on, so you can get an idea before you work on the real girl.
                Remove whatever paint you want - for this doll, I think the eyebrows are the only thing you really need to take down, and again, I'd just shape them and leave the factory paint for everything else.
                You can paint right over the lips and eyes, using the black outlines to mark where you want the paint to stop when you darken the eyes.
                And if you want to change her lips, you could even try painting a little bit outside the existing lip line to give her fuller lips.
                Also, since she has that awkward open mouth, you might consider painting the teeth white.

For blush, you can use paint or pastels. Same thing as before - do a little at a time.
                If you use paint, really take it down so it's practically colored water.
                If you use pastels, they'll probably stain the face nicely but you won't be able to remove it if you dork it up.
                With the acrylic paint, you can wipe it off and do it over if you mess up.
                As long as you don't seal it, you can do it over and over and over until you get it the way you like.
                Once you have the face the way you want, seal the lips and eyes by painting precisely over the paint you applied after it dries.
                You can also mix a little sealer into your paint if you want, but I think if you aren't as practiced at this you'll probably be wiping off her face a couple of times before you get it just right.
                So I'd save the sealer for last.
                You shouldn't have to seal the blush as long as you don't plan on taking her in the bath tub.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
                I plan to do the same with mine!
                And then I have to figure out how to get that hairstyle...
                Mary,
                This is a whole other animal than painting heads. I didn't realize there was so much to the "makeover" or "makeup" I think I'll just find out how much you'd charge to do it for me.
                "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                  Career Member
                  • Nov 22, 2011

I would love to get these and try to shrink them down. Has anyone else tried it before?
                  "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Done!
                    befor_after.jpgIMG_20180815_030430.jpg

Comment

• RonnyG
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 23, 2014

Well, I took the plunge, and gave Kelly a makeover! She still may not be an exact match for Jaclyn Smith, but I do think it's a closer likeness. She actually looks prettier than before--similar to Barbie! Her features look more delicate and softer.
                      Here's what I did: I followed some of Mary's excellent advice on repainting dolls in the previous post. It was a great help!
                      I removed all her clothes so I wouldn't get paint on them.
                      I used acylic paint and a tiny paint brush with a pointed tip. I even used the end of a sharp toothpick for some of the smaller details. Fortunately, I'm artistically inclined, and I've been working with paint for other projects recently, so I'm comfortable using a paint brush.
                      I thinned her eyebrows. I used paint to do this because I was too chicken to remove them with nail polish. However, it is nice to have some nail polisher remover handy because you can use it to remove your mistakes. For example, I made one of her eyelashes too thick, so I used a little bit of nail polish remover to "erase" it. Just as long as you use it on your own painted errors and NOT on the original doll paint.
                      I thinned her heavy bottom eyeliner, and added tiny eyelashes like the old Hasbro doll has: 4 lashes on top and 4 lashes on the bottom. Made them very fine and thin because I didn't want a heavy mascara goop look. Used the tip of a sharp toothpick.
                      Changed her light blue eyes to a dark greyish-blue.
                      Painted her lips pink, and made them fuller. I originally was going to make them red (what was I thinking?), but she started to look like Wonder Woman, so changed to pink. Gives her a softer look.
                      Whitened her teeth.
                      Added some pink blush using oil pastel crayon, and smeared it with my finger tip to blend it in.
                      I used a matte finish sealer. I wasn't going to use one originally because I thought it would be okay. But when I was posing her, and trying to make her stand on her own, she fell down, and when I picked her back up, I noticed a tiny bit of paint came off, so then I had to retouch her again.
                      I'm so glad I did this makeover because now I don't have to look at that old face anymore. Now she really looks worthy of being called a Charlie's Angel! The hair doesn't bother me much so I'll probably leave it alone. I may want to comb it, though.
                      BTW, I took these pictures with my camera phone. I wish the images were sharper, but that's all I have in terms of camera. It's good for long distance shots, but not for extreme close ups.
                      IMG_20180815_024951.jpg IMG_20180815_020515.jpg befor_after.jpg
                      Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 15, '18, 8:41 AM.

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

More pics:
                        IMG_20180815_022243.jpgIMG_20180815_022256.jpgIMG_20180815_022309.jpgIMG_20180815_022323.jpgIMG_20180815_022230.jpg

Comment

• Mary Canary
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Capt_Kirk
                          Mary,
                          This is a whole other animal than painting heads. I didn't realize there was so much to the "makeover" or "makeup" I think I'll just find out how much you'd charge to do it for me.
                          It sounds involved, but it's actually little changes and just knowing what to do and that less is more.
                          I prefer using as much of the existing manufacturer paint as I can, even if it's just as a guide - like eyebrows and eyeliner, which can be hard to get "just right" by hand.
                          I think minor mods look more professional than wiping off the entire face and doing the whole thing from scratch. It's like plastic surgery, I guess.
                          I work with what's there.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 21, 2017

Well, I took the plunge, and gave Kelly a makeover! She still may not be an exact match for Jaclyn Smith, but I do think it's a closer likeness. She actually looks prettier than before--similar to Barbie! Her features look more delicate and softer.
                            Here's what I did: I followed some of Mary's excellent advice on repainting dolls in the previous post. It was a great help!
                            I removed all her clothes so I wouldn't get paint on them.
                            I used acylic paint and a tiny paint brush with a pointed tip. I even used the end of a sharp toothpick for some of the smaller details. Fortunately, I'm artistically inclined, and I've been working with paint for other projects recently, so I'm comfortable using a paint brush.
                            I thinned her eyebrows. I used paint to do this because I was too chicken to remove them with nail polish. However, it is nice to have some nail polisher remover handy because you can use it to remove your mistakes. For example, I made one of her eyelashes too thick, so I used a little bit of nail polish remover to "erase" it. Just as long as you use it on your own painted errors and NOT on the original doll paint.
                            I thinned her heavy bottom eyeliner, and added tiny eyelashes like the old Hasbro doll has: 4 lashes on top and 4 lashes on the bottom. Made them very fine and thin because I didn't want a heavy mascara goop look. Used the tip of a sharp toothpick.
                            Changed her light blue eyes to a dark greyish-blue.
                            Painted her lips pink, and made them fuller. I originally was going to make them red (what was I thinking?), but she started to look like Wonder Woman, so changed to pink. Gives her a softer look.
                            Whitened her teeth.
                            Added some pink blush using oil pastel crayon, and smeared it with my finger tip to blend it in.
                            I used a matte finish sealer. I wasn't going to use one originally because I thought it would be okay. But when I was posing her, and trying to make her stand on her own, she fell down, and when I picked her back up, I noticed a tiny bit of paint came off, so then I had to retouch her again.
                            I'm so glad I did this makeover because now I don't have to look at that old face anymore. Now she really looks worthy of being called a Charlie's Angel! The hair doesn't bother me much so I'll probably leave it alone. I may want to comb it, though.
                            BTW, I took these pictures with my camera phone. I wish the images were sharper, but that's all I have in terms of camera. It's good for long distance shots, but not for extreme close ups.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]23564[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23565[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23571[/ATTACH]
                            Great job! You went for it! Were you scared? I feel like no matter how many I've done, I'm always a little timid at first.

Comment

• K
                              Fun Will Now Commence
                              • Jun 20, 2001

Much improved! Bravo
                              I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢