Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego style figures from other comapnies... affecting MEGO?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickermall
    • Aug 12, 2018

Mego style figures from other comapnies... affecting MEGO?

Mego is a cherished memory of my youth from the 1970's... I am THRILLED Mego is back!

I am hoping for reissues from the lines I loved like WGSH and Star Trek... but it looks like other companies (Figures Toy Line and EMCE) carry these Mego clones, right down to packaging. Does this threaten Mego from reissuing THEIR classic lines?

I noticed off the bat that the Mego stuff now available has different packaging and the figures are heavier than what came out in the 1970's.

I would love to get REAL Megos of what I had as a kid... will we get Mego Capt Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Enterprise playset, as well as WGSH issues all in 8 inch? From Mego?
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

well they are doing Trek and some DC at 14 inch so there's that.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Mego will be reissuing or doing new stuff with Star Trek.

They don't have the license for WGSH at the 8 inch scale.

Obviously it would have helped Mego if they could have had those licenses. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and make the controversial statement that FTC's success is a big part of the reason Mego is back to begin with.

For what it's worth, body wise, FTC is a lot closer to vintage Mego than new Mego is. As you have already noticed, Mego is using modified EMCE bodies which are much heavier than vintage figures and are made of different materials.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Mego is already making Trek as mentioned above. They look and feel a lot like the EMCE offerings because Marty Abrams is working with Paul Clarke of EMCE. To my knowledge FTC has the rights to DC 8" and 12" WGH. Hasbro has the license for Marvel.

Comment

• pickermall
          • Aug 12, 2018

I'm not really up on what I would consider the Mego clone stuff... I'm not crazy about the 14" Mego offerings and I have the new Mego Trek Sulu, Chekov and Mirror Mirror. I actually didn't know the other stuff even existed until the new Mego issues! I will look more into those PLUS look forward to supporting OFFICIAL Mego!

Comment

• lilbrosj66
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 4, 2011

I myself miss the original Mego female bodies. FTC can't get their version right to save their lives and Mego is using the updated bodies. I like that the neck is now part of the upper body mold but wish it was just a smidge longer and I miss should construction on the original female bodies. They moved better and they held more poses.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
              Career Member
              • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
              I myself miss the original Mego female bodies. FTC can't get their version right to save their lives and Mego is using the updated bodies. I like that the neck is now part of the upper body mold but wish it was just a smidge longer and I miss should construction on the original female bodies. They moved better and they held more poses.
              Agreed. We need a better female 8" body for sure. There are a lot of customs I'd like to do that require special construction. Mirror Uhura = nice abs, Elvira = Large b00b$ and nice legs, Powergirl = Large b00b$. things like that.
              "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• comicmike
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 22, 2009

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                Personally, I'm hopeful for the newer Mego female bandless bodies that will be coming down the pike

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I think Doc still has the PVC female bodies on his website, I picked up a couple in the past for customs and they seem fine,
                  for now those are the best out there for female mego bodies.

Comment

• K
                    Fun Will Now Commence
                    • Jun 20, 2001

Best of all daydreamy worlds would be a Zica/ Galloping Gals female body with slightly smaller feet so Mego shoes would fit��
                    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• bgiles73
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 14, 2010

Originally posted by K
                      Best of all daydreamy worlds would be a Zica/ Galloping Gals female body with slightly smaller feet so Mego shoes would fit��
                      And preferably plastic that doesn’t change all different shades of color after a short time! That’s the thing I love most about the new Megos. The bodies skin tones are consistent across the line and each individual part.

Comment

• Madcap70
                        • Dec 4, 2017

I've been collecting Mego's for years and I've never heard of a "Mego Clone"

Comment

• KOMonger
                          Banned
                          • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by Madcap70
                          "Clone" was the de-facto term doll collectors used for ages (search Ebay Dolls section, just now there were over 3,000 listings). It's finally creeping into some auction listings for the guy's cloth-type figures, just a little. Not so much the "action figures", though. Those are mostly called "bootlegs" and "knock-offs". The "Toys" section already has Star Wars to thank for all the "clone" search hits.

Comment

• pickermall
                            • Aug 12, 2018

Originally posted by Madcap70
                            I call them clones... they are copies of the original Mego figures... I looked up the FTC WGSH line and they LOOK like old Megos right down to the packaging. I haven't seen any in real life, though. Don't want to pay $25 a pop for them...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎