X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgtobidiah
    • Oct 8, 2014

help with paint/decal removal

Hey guys,

I am thinking of working on a conversion using the new AJ figure. i want to use the blue jumpsuit for a michael myers conversion and it has a decal or painted on emblem on the front chest area. what do you think would be best to remove this with the lease amount of damage to the suit? i was thinking of trying alcohol or some kind of paint stripper but i don't want to damage the suit.

thanks,
    Chris
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

not sure what it is made of, but try Nail Polish Remover
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, acetone will probably work but may affect the fabric color, too. Try placing an old folded handkerchief under the emblem. Use an acetone-wetted cottom swab to remove the emblem. Go gradually, and layers, and use new swabs frequently--be gentle. When you get down to the base fabric, push more firmly into the fabric, down into the hanky. You're trying to get the residual emblem "paint" out of the weave and on the hanky.

The other problem with this method is, if the emblem is stubborn, working it off can leave a "fuzzy" spot of distressed fibers on the base fabric.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 9, '18, 4:19 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

is it a screenprinted type emblem? NPR will work just follow PN's tips above.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I think it's printed rather than an iron-on.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

ok two trips to Target and have yet to see any in the wild so I don't know.

Comment

• sgtobidiah
              • Oct 8, 2014

Thanks for the info, seems to be printed on so I'm going to give the npr a shot and try not to wreck it!
              Last edited by sgtobidiah; Aug 9, '18, 8:41 PM. Reason: Misspell

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

It really looks like you would be better off finding a scrap of navy blue material and sewing a pocket over the emblem.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

I think ctvt sells the nylon aj jumpsuit.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

Comment

• sgtobidiah
                      • Oct 8, 2014

ah, the pocket idea i didn't think of. i know about the suit from CTVT but it looks ligher then this to me and i wanted a really dark Blue. Also, really liking these new mego bodies, very solid and very poseable! thanks for the tips

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

oh its totally a lighter color, royal blue as opposed to navy blue. Are you going with a Shatmask? Maybe a repurposed Playmates 10" figure face haha

Comment

• Madcap70
                          • Dec 4, 2017

How about removing logos from the Famous Covers figures?

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Madcap70
                            How about removing logos from the Famous Covers figures?
                            Same thing, acetone paint thinner. OR by now they should be rotting and falling off, really cheap stuff used in that line.

Comment

• sgtobidiah
                              • Oct 8, 2014

ok tried Acetone and enamal paint thinner and nothing, zero zip, nada. I am going with the idea to cover it with fabric because the inside of the outfit has a lot of excess. im just trimming off a piece and glueing it in. it'll look fine.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎