Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Just an observation, but IMO, it seems that people of a certain age group aren't equipped to use social media. People in their 20-30s are fine, but 50+ are the biggest bunch of entitled, complaining whiners on Facebook. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but most of the people who spend their time bashing entitled millennials, are usually the ones you see on these Facebook groups causing the biggest headaches. Not sure why that is, but I think it has something to do with learning internet culture much later in life. A lot of these people were never part of a forum, didn't learn basic civility or discussion on any boards and just discovered the internet with Facebook and Facebook groups.

Granted there's always been the occasional maladjusted forum troublemaker as well, but Facebook has unearthed a bunch of angry grandpas onto the internet and ruined many a Facebook group as a result. Strange times indeed.

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

It’s hard staying positive...it really is.
      I’ve blocked well over 20 people there so far.
      I posted pics of my custom 14” Batgirl, and before I knew it, someone started in asking why I didn’t repaint 14” Batman who could also be seen in the pics.
      Block.
      Then I post a side by side of the James Brady Gorn next to 2018 Mego Gorn...couple piped up saying **** about the Brady one.
      Block.
      Seems like a pattern...post..block...repeat.
      I feel awful for the mods and Mego...it should be a place to rejoice and the Internet is just full of assholes.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

I know this is a simplistic explanation, but I see Facebook Groups (Group being operative) getting torpedoed by the ones among us who want everything to be about them. All of the many ways that people proceed to ruin it for others, such as "envy me", "feel sorry for me", "respect me", "agree with me or I'll burn this whole place down and take all of you with me" are just variations on a theme.

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

I've never paid much mind to the 'book, and joining up to the Ambassadors group hasn't really encouraged me to spend more time on the platform, heh.

It did lead me to Mego Mania, though. A pleasant, if quiet, little collective. My one and only post over there was received quite warmly!
          Last edited by toothaction; Oct 17, '18, 1:54 PM.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

FB is people who never learned forum etiquette but think its texting or IM. They don't get the group aspect.

Comment

• Mary Canary
              Career Member
              • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by toothaction
              I've never paid much mind to the 'book, and joining up to the Ambassadors group hasn't really encouraged me to spend more time on the platform, heh.

It did lead me to Mego Mania, though. A pleasant, if quiet, little collective. My one and only post over there was received quite warmly!
              It's just very interesting how different the tone of the 2 groups is. Mego Mania is just more relaxed and pleasant. Whereas Mego Ambassadors just tear everything down like non-stop. They hate Target, they hate most of the figures, and they seem to hate Mego. Mistakes are unforgivable, even though these are grown men fussing over inexpensive, mass produced toys. Not to mention the endless stories of disappearing endcaps and speculation that the line is a failure or Target pulled the plug early. It's the same discouraging things over and over, day after day. I feel sorry for Mego and the mods. This is supposed to be their flagship group but instead it's like a bunch of barbarians. The entitlement is just baffling. Everyday I think I've seen it all and will leave the group. I guess the best way to really support Mego is with my dollars. And I have done that. Reading the rants can make me laugh but also sucks the fun out of this revival.

Comment

• jayraytee
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2011

I've known some public entities that have decided against having official forums for this very reason. I used to a manager over about 60 people in a manufacturing business and sometimes I would get fed up when each individual person would individually come to me and complain all about the same thing. Each person didn't know about all the other people complaining, but on the receiving end it was way too much collectively.

I think these forums are like that to a degree. Some people just go in and post their opinion without looking to see if it has been covered 1000 times before. Then the people that read all the stuff get sick of it.

As a boss or a company if you get tons of people saying the same thing, there might be some validity to it. I think Target employees are overwhelmed right now. I heard some in our Target complaining about being over worked and under staffed. Then you have all the toy area revamps and all that, stocking up for Christmas, etc. And the MEGO relaunch in the middle of it. If it had been the slowest part of the consumer year when the relaunch occurred it might of been a lot smoother.
                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  It's just very interesting how different the tone of the 2 groups is. Mego Mania is just more relaxed and pleasant. Whereas Mego Ambassadors just tear everything down like non-stop. They hate Target, they hate most of the figures, and they seem to hate Mego. Mistakes are unforgivable, even though these are grown men fussing over inexpensive, mass produced toys. Not to mention the endless stories of disappearing endcaps and speculation that the line is a failure or Target pulled the plug early. It's the same discouraging things over and over, day after day. I feel sorry for Mego and the mods. This is supposed to be their flagship group but instead it's like a bunch of barbarians. The entitlement is just baffling. Everyday I think I've seen it all and will leave the group. I guess the best way to really support Mego is with my dollars. And I have done that. Reading the rants can make me laugh but also sucks the fun out of this revival.
                  The reason for that is, I knew what weeds to cull from my garden. When I started Megomania i got lots of requests from people that weren't welcome at the Museum because they were either toxic, ripped off members or simply didn't play well with others. None of them got in.

The folks running Mego Ambassadors had no such playbook to draw from and they want the group to be popular but they also seem to be figuring stuff out.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

What is making me laugh now are the ones complaining that Ritchie Cunningham doesn't have red hair. Did they ever see the original Ritchie? No red hair there.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      What is making me laugh now are the ones complaining that Ritchie Cunningham doesn't have red hair. Did they ever see the original Ritchie? No red hair there.
                      Am I the only one that thinks Richie, with a change of clothes, could work as Cmdr. Decker?

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                        Exactly how I would have worded it. Nailed it. Thank you.

Comment

• darkbros
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 3, 2012

"Don't like it, don't buy it."

'nuff said.
                          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• bleit1701
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 1, 2009

End caps don't stay up forever. Vendors pay to have their product showcased on them. If Target is removing them it's probably because the deal is over.

Can you imagine if social media existed in the 70's and Batman, Robin and Aquaman came out with those mittens. Oh the hate.
                            Better late than never.....

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

I really am not a fan of Facebook toy groups...or any of the groups in general. I really do miss "Sites" that you can go to and hang and look at the galleries etc. It's why I like to come back here. It's unfortunate that Facebook has taken over...but this is the society we live in today...facebook is literally "Instant Gratification" I personally don't care to even try to trade with ANYONE on facebook that I don't already know. I also see on the facebook page the stench of "speculators" with the new Mego toys. It just completely rubs me the wrong way. I like it here very much thank you...and look forward to Mego Meet every year where there is the "Family Reunion" I really don't know what I would do as far as a Mego Collector if I didn't have this site to come back to.

Comment

• RonnyG
                                Career Member
                                • Apr 23, 2014

The Mego Ambassadors facebook group appears to be gone or down. I can't find it. Anyone know what happened?
                                Last edited by RonnyG; Jan 18, '19, 3:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎