Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tiinacat
    Museum Patron
    • Feb 4, 2015

I don’t get the backlash at FTC. Granted I wish they would be less hit and miss with head size. I mean how hard is it? No other company has the problem with a major license. Hell Captain Canuck is even in scale. But I’ve got some great figures I would have never gotten. I have way to many of them. I buy thing I don’t even want. They don’t listen to fans. Price point was fine (compared to diamonds deal with Marvel) until Mego hit target.

But at the same time this weekend I decided to take my red phantom out of the package finally. Two broken knees!

There is no winning.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

If there's one thing I regret about moving away from New Jersey it's that I won't have the chance now to go up to the Farrow (who is there every year) and ask him what the flammy flim-flam goes on when you're working with FTC?!?! Man, I'd love to know the details.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Lethalp
        • Aug 6, 2017

Originally posted by The Batman Professor
        It’s that extra hole in her head that I can’t get past.
        Mine doesnt have an extra hole in head. So maybe that issue/blunder was resolved.

FTC has its flaws. Mostly MSRP price point & fragile or lack of poseability. I have my Batman 66 on individual stands and I love how they look and not have to worry about them tumbling off the shelf.

Comment

• TRDouble
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Lethalp
          Mine doesnt have an extra hole in head. So maybe that issue/blunder was resolved.

FTC has its flaws. Mostly MSRP price point & fragile or lack of poseability. I have my Batman 66 on individual stands and I love how they look and not have to worry about them tumbling off the shelf.
          No extra hole? Really? I’d love to see a picture. Mine has two holes. In the package, Batgirl looked okay. When I finally opened it to display, I thought it was just a terrible figure and put it back in the package. Hoping Catwoman is better, but I haven’t had a chance to open one and add her to the display. The ‘66 Batman figures look great together. I need to figure out Bookworm’s hat too so I can add him to the display.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
            No extra hole? Really? I’d love to see a picture. Mine has two holes. In the package, Batgirl looked okay. When I finally opened it to display, I thought it was just a terrible figure and put it back in the package. Hoping Catwoman is better, but I haven’t had a chance to open one and add her to the display. The ‘66 Batman figures look great together. I need to figure out Bookworm’s hat too so I can add him to the display.
            agreed, I never heard of one example without the extra hole (man Quagmire would love that LOL) Can I ask what is the problem you are having with Bookworm?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              agreed, I never heard of one example without the extra hole (man Quagmire would love that LOL) Can I ask what is the problem you are having with Bookworm?
              It's getting his reading lamp to stay in the hat. I figure I will just have to glue it in, but haven't had time to do it.

Comment

• Lethalp
                • Aug 6, 2017

batgirl without a 2nd hole.

Last edited by Lethalp; Aug 10, '18, 9:51 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TRDouble
                  It's getting his reading lamp to stay in the hat. I figure I will just have to glue it in, but haven't had time to do it.
                  Oh, I replaced the gooseneck part with wire, looks a lot better and is posable now. I had to snip off the light part and drill a small hole to superglue in the gold wire.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                    Here's the thing... if it's never happened to you, God bless you. But when it's happened to you more than once, it makes you more of a reluctant consumer and a critic.
                    And it's not like they offer to pay the shipping costs associated with sending the figures back. That's just bad customer service and repeat problems (for me) = bad quality control.
                    Wrong! When I order parts or need to send an item back (Which was only 3 times) never had a problem and when I order custom parts that are missing or damaged I take pictures and are nice and pleasant to them amazing how far that goes...

Comment

• spockoda
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jan 14, 2018

Sounds like this is just life, you can't have an opinion without stepping on someone's toes whether you mean to or not. FTC has put out some cool stuff but I bought three of the first 8" Kiss figures and found them to made as cheap as seemingly possible so I eventually sold them off and haven't given them any more of my money. Has FTC product improved any since those Kiss figures were made?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

Oh no doubt, everyone is entitled to their opinions, it just seems antagonistic to go into the forums specifically for one company and do nothing but crap all over everything. It;s like going into the Westminster Dog Show and then screaming about how allergic to dogs you are.

Comment

• spockoda
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                          Oh no doubt, everyone is entitled to their opinions, it just seems antagonistic to go into the forums specifically for one company and do nothing but crap all over everything. It;s like going into the Westminster Dog Show and then screaming about how allergic to dogs you are.
                          In your opinion, has the FTC stuff gotten better? I can't recall when the Kiss figures came out(2012?). They have made some stuff that presents well but the Kiss figures felt to me like if you shook them a little too much they might fall apart, imo. You are right, I feel like there are opinions and then there is down right disrespect.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

What I find funny is that NONE of the FTC lovers know how they got started doing Mego knockoffs...which is basically what they were when they started. I was there when Doc showed me the Space 1999 heads that FTC eventually used for the first wave of Space 1999 knock offs. That is the truth whether you want to believe it or not. I've known Doc for almost 20 years and literally worked in the same building with him on weekends. That Carter head from their first series was a 3RD!!! Generation copy of an original Mego head. Same probably goes for all the West figures and the others that came out. Their product has been INFERIOR since day one...COPIES. The only original line they have come out with is the '66 Batman line. I will say that 75% of the line is good...really good. I have all of the '66 line. You couldn't pay me to buy the knock off Mego re-issues that are just GOD AWFUL. Neck plugs that rip if you sneeze on them. Baggy outfits that are just a simple fix from being perfect. Heads that are "Oranges on a toothpick" $30 for a figure that has that many problems isn't worth it...but people are complaining about the new Mego Corp stuff at half the price...I just don't get that logic at all. The 14 inch figures need to be fixed...more so the Batman and Zod then the Harley and Wonder Woman.

To the one person that was talking about the Teen Titans figures from the 70's and how they were zombifying on the cards...Do you know the reason why??!!?? It was called the oil crisis and Mego wasn't the only company that had problems with it. It was the lack of oils in the plastic that was used in the casting process. If you collect toys from that era you will see that ALL of the figures from that time period have a problem with stickiness or graying. PLEASE get your facts straight before you post...it only makes people look foolish when they don't get their facts straight.

With all that said...These are toys people. NO company is perfect. Not all companies listen to the complaints. I know Doc and I know that what you are seeing today with the relaunch of Mego Corporation is what he's been looking for for the last 20+ years. He will listen and he will NOT let this die. There will be improvements/corrections. Remember...Doc put his life/home/time on the line for what is the expansion of originally maybe a few hundred collectors to THOUSANDS. If you can't see that..then you aren't paying attention or you've only recently started collecting. Know your history and get the facts straight...

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

^Speaking of getting facts straight... FTC (back when they were Classic TV Toys) made several original lines including the Munsters, Married With Children, etc. BEFORE Doc Mego and EMCE's Star Trek and Apes reissues.

The Munsters may have had body issues but the head sculpts were fantastic and are right up there with the best of anything Mego ever did.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                                Banned
                                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                ^Speaking of getting facts straight... FTC (back when they were Classic TV Toys) made several original lines including the Munsters, Married With Children, etc. BEFORE Doc Mego and EMCE's Star Trek and Apes reissues.

The Munsters may have had body issues but the head sculpts were fantastic and are right up there with the best of anything Mego ever did.
                                The Munsters were re-casts of the premier line. Married with children had giant noggins and the worst bodies ever made. So I think I know that from which I speak of...but please enlighten me some more...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎